What are we to do now to get light wood? I have just looked at the Balsa Cabin site and they have suspended sales of sheet already. My LMS has a good stock but despite the fact that am no fan of panic buying I may well head there tomorrow and stock up because I generally only build from scratch. Lack of the basic building material would ruin the hobby for me and I am in the middle of a new build.

Advert

Kits seem to be available still so I guess all balsa is going to kitmakers at the moment.

It seems to me that the situation is unlikely to change much in the immediate future and we need to find alternative materials. Liteply is available and could be used in fuselages. Veneered foam wings, fin and tailplanes could be used. Its difficult to find a substitute for LE & TE, wingtips etc so perhaps we need to save any available balsa for those areas - maybe even recycling old models for those parts.

Not too much trouble building a squarish sports model from alternative materials but scale models and competition models may be more of a problem. Aeromodelers are great innovators though. Looks like we will have to redesign plans for available materials!

Correx seems easily available from local builders merchants - 8 by 4ft sheets are only 4 pounds for 2mm and 8 pounds for 4mm. Seems worthy of consideration. Links to plans etc in the thread on using cardboard.

Posted by James Green2 on 30/10/2020 20:45:53:

This is a worry, what can I use to make stringers for a 40-60 size Hawker Hurricane fuselage for example?

Is heavier grade balsa really going to make a huge difference there? The stringers don't look that thick on the full size, so aren't likely to be a great volume of wood on a model.

Hurricane rear fuselage

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 30/10/2020 18:29:54:

What are we to do now to get light wood? I have just looked at the Balsa Cabin site and they have suspended sales of sheet already. My LMS has a good stock but despite the fact that am no fan of panic buying I may well head there tomorrow and stock up because I generally only build from scratch. Lack of the basic building material would ruin the hobby for me and I am in the middle of a new build.

I'd agree with the path you are taking Martin but if you get desperate check out the Continental shops such as Lindinger who I have used a few times (but not for raw balsa) & found to be excellent and Pichler. Delivery costs & time are comparable to UK suppliers.

Been in to my local model shop this morning to check on their balsa supplies , the shop is Penn models in Kingswinford West Mids. they are as well stocked as usual with plenty full quantities of all sizes of balsa and hard woods, prices seem to be reasonable and they do mail order, if you live in the area give them a try.

Also went to my local-ish MS today and they were limiting purchases due to the on line demand so I had to guess as to what I shall need for my 1:5 Chipmunk fus. etc to finish the basic construction. I did not go overboard and just bought what I think that I shall require. Luckily I am a regular customer. Some people were trying to order 40 sheets of this and 40 of that and the orders were refused; quite rightly.