Repair advice please

Lee Morton

155d583e-a897-4ff6-a146-4c9469ee3797.jpegHi all. Had my first crash on my carbon cub. Had to do a bit of repairing which seems to have all turned out well. The only thing I’m stumped on is the wire for the elevators has been broken. I’ll include pics below. There isn’t enough grab on the little teeth to catch the hole and stay in place which was damaged in the crash. Any advice would be great! Thanks.

Advert

Hi Lee.

As David says, you have broken the clevis. It is easily replaced and not expensive. My only concern is the "keeper" (small piece of clear tubing). If you have moved it from its original position ok, but when repaired it should be towards the other end of the clevis holding the "jaws" together so that the clevis doesn't jump off the horn. All clevis linkages of this type should be retained in this way. If you don't fully understand please say so and we will explain.

I'm not sure what the pushrod is made of but it looks like there's quite a difference between the angle that it exits the fuselage and the angle of the elevator horn (90 degrees to the hinge).

That puts a bit of sideways pressure on the clevis as the pushrod naturally moves sideways as it moves forwards and back, encouraging it to pop open and straining the pin. Probably not a huge issue on this model, but it does reinforce what Kevin says about the keeper.

Certainly replace the clevis because they're totally unrepairable. IMO they're useless even when new and I would never use one on a 'proper' model and I understand the carbon Cub is quite an expensive ARTF. Assumimg the push rod has a 2mm thread then replace it (and all the other clevises with stainless steel ones. They're widely available. In fact I bought 10 from Modelfixings last week.

Geoff

Thanks all for the great responses! The little rubber tubing I just had it moved over to release the little clamp to show for picture. I think going from advice and on here today I’ll maybe switch them over to little metal ones as they would probably be more reliable in the long run. Now to figure out how to replace them! Hopefully should be able to find a YouTube video easily enough for the replacement. Thanks again all!

Looking at the size of the broken pin, I rather doubt that these are 2mm fittings. An incorrectly sized metal clevis is worse that that original which is OK, in my opinion, for a lightweight model - I assume this is the small version of the Horizon Carbon Cub?

If I'm correct, I don't think you'll find metal clevices that small so it might be best to give your model shop - or perhaps Al's Hobbies - a call to see if they have spares or suitable sized replacements.

If the thread is around 2mm, beware of trying to use metric fittings with imperial - I suspect the Cub will have the latter but please check carefully. I have seen models lost due to someone mixing threads...

Plastic clevices are normally self threading so are more universal.

Posted by David Ashby - Moderator on 15/01/2021 09:18:26:

Lee, I think I must have the UK’s largest collection of clevises still in private ownership 😁, some are from Horizon brand models. This may just be what you’re after so PM me your address and I’ll bung it in the post.

862ea2ba-3cb0-464f-82a9-8721991fdd4a.jpeg

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 15/01/2021 09:19:57

Lost for words really appreciate the kind gesture! I’ll message you now. Thank you again.