Answer Smash

Gary Manuel

Advert

Posted by Gary Manuel on 19/01/2021 23:21:08:

Yep, we are agreed that Pall Mall is spelt wrong. It should be spelt Pal Mal as it would have been if it was in Huddersfield. Although I guess the locals may have had a different nickname for it.

Oddly enough, the locals here have another name and spelling for Huddersfield.

I was in Norfolk many years ago, and one of the natives, - with a heavy, local accent - babbled some incomprehensible words to me which ended in "notch". . I hadn't got a clue what he was saying.

After a while, a translater was found, and it turned out that the chap was apparently asking if I had been to Norwich (notch).

It was English but in another language. . . . . eh.

The way words are written has little to do with how they are pronounced - no matter which part of the country you are in. English is full of exceptions and inconsistencies. Where is the logic in the way these words are pronounced.

though

thought

through

tough

cough

bough

bought

Edited By David Ovenden on 20/01/2021 05:53:19

Years ago when I worked in the North Sea oil business, I took an American colleague on his first offshore visit, during which we made a visit to the tea room which was on tea break. Afterwards he expressed surprise on how many foreigners were employed offshore, it was full of Geordies, Scoscers, Glaswegians etc and he hadn't understood a word!

I think you are right.

I always thought that the Smash ad was really about Southerners who had visited the North and discovered the locals making proper mashed potatoes. Note the way that the leader starts "On your Laaarst trip...

Classic. Advertising at its best.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 20/01/2021 12:22:18

Posted by Gary Manuel on 20/01/2021 12:16:32:

I think you are right.

I always thought that the Smash ad was really about Southerners who had visited the North and discovered the locals making proper mashed potatoes. Note the way that the leader starts "On your Laaarst trip...

Edited By Gary Manuel on 20/01/2021 12:22:18

Pie and mash made with real potato has long been a popular, local dish amongst the working class down here without any help from North thanks. Jump on a train, expand your horizon.