FrSky Taranis with 4 in 1 module

Outrunner

Thank you MattyB. I have been following RobK's thread but as we were coming in coming in from different angles I started another thread for my own question. Although I changed my mind and also decided to go Radiomaster too. Mine should arrive later this week.

I watched the Open Tx 2.0 and beyond last night, very informative. I will watch more of the series tonight.

Cheers

Phil

Posted by Outrunner on 26/01/2021 15:41:43:

Thank you MattyB. I have been following RobK's thread but as we were coming in coming in from different angles I started another thread for my own question. Although I changed my mind and also decided to go Radiomaster too. Mine should arrive later this week.

I watched the Open Tx 2.0 and beyond last night, very informative. I will watch more of the series tonight.

I have cracked and ordered a TX16 too, for me the SE version as I'd rather have the slightly increased range than the larger number of protocols. I don;t really need anew TX per se, but having just got into indoor FPV quads (Tiny Whoops) I jsut can't get on with flying them mode 1 (which is how I fly fixed wing models). As I have only had a single TX since buying my original X9D Taranis this is my first new radiop for about 8 years...

Posted by MattyB on 26/01/2021 16:09:28:

I have cracked and ordered a TX16 too, for me the SE version as I'd rather have the slightly increased range than the larger number of protocols. I don;t really need anew TX per se, but having just got into indoor FPV quads (Tiny Whoops) I jsut can't get on with flying them mode 1 (which is how I fly fixed wing models). As I have only had a single TX since buying my original X9D Taranis this is my first new radiop for about 8 years...

Quite a bargain at just over £80, interesting to see how you get on with it. Why do want increased range for indoor flying?

Phil

Posted by Outrunner on 26/01/2021 20:47:23:
Posted by MattyB on 26/01/2021 16:09:28:

Quite a bargain at just over £80, interesting to see how you get on with it. Why do want increased range for indoor flying?

Phil

He flies in very big halls! devil

Geoff

Well, my TX16s arrived today, less than 24 hours after ordering from HobbyRC. I also ordered the 5000 mA 2c lipo that's a perfect fit in the battery bay. I must say it felt better than I was expecting and well put together. I've installed Open TX on my computer and downloaded the latest firmware but not flashed it yet.

Now I need to find my way around Companion and try setting up a test model and binding a receiver, I think it may take a while but no rush I can't go and fly anywhere yet.

Thank you guys for your help

Phil

Posted by Outrunner on 26/01/2021 20:47:23:

Phil

I have started with a Mobula 6 Tiny Whoop initially, but also have a much larger Armattan 355 v-tail quad I acquired a while ago for air to air filming of LOS models. I am not planning to fly it at extreme range, but given that all my 2.4Ghz RXs are Frsky I don’t need the full 4 in 1 so I felt like I might as well go for the SE with it’s lower price and better range.

I received my Jumper 4 way module this morning from HobbyRc. I was quite surprised as I'd opted for 2nd class post because I was in no hurry. So kudos to both HobbyRC and RM for quick delivery.

I plugged it into my Horus and it seemed to work OK without downloading the latest firmware but I didn't check properly - a green light came on and no smoke came out (always a positive!). It also doesn't interfere with my transmitter tray.

The firmware download was a bit tricky to sort out but I eventually found my way round the s/w interface needed and the needed firmware version. Then all looks good. I assume it's transmitting because the red LED lights.

I'm quite impressed with the range of optionns it offers -some of them I've never heard of. The main ones are there - DSM2 and DSMX, Flysky, Fsky (which I obviously don't need), WLToys etc. There's also specific options for both V911S and V912 indoor helicopters, both of which I have (though not flown lately because there's no indoor flying).

I know there's an option to put binding on a switch for systems (like the V912) which need binding every time you switch on but I haven't sorted that out yet. I won't use it for serious models but it's nice to have the options available without needing to buy another transmitter.

It looks like both my Orange DSM(X) and Flysly plug-in modules will be redundant.

Geoff

Ordered a Jumper 4 way module from HobbyRC this morning and it is on the way.

I have been Hitec (Flash 8) since I started nearly three years ago but invested in a Taranis to give me telemetry.

I have something like eight Hitec receivers and can buy more cheap when the swap meets start again.

For £30 it's worth buying just to extend the life of the Hitec receivers should the Flash 8 have problems.

This has been a very informative and useful thread.

smiley

Thanks to all.

Steve

Posted by Geoff S on 28/01/2021 16:03:08:

This is the website you will need to update the firmware. It takes a bit of study but it's all there somewhere and once you've downloaded the s/w needed to control the update and load it onto the module it's quite straight forward.

Geoff

This video is very helpful too - they plug this page which makes it really easy to pick out the right version of the firmware for your TX/module. My TX1SE has arrived today, so I will be updating the module and OpenTX and MPM firmware before I bring across the setup for my first quad.using Companion.

I have to say for £80 the TX is very impressive quality, easily as good if not better than my 1st generation X9D Taranis and my old (and very creaky) Mpx Evo, both of which cost a lot more many years ago. No it doesn't compare in physical quality to a Horus, but it's 1/4 the price and perfectly acceptable for the models I fly. I can certainly see why these MPM TXs based on the Horus have taken so much of the market.

Edited By MattyB on 29/01/2021 17:34:03

You're welcome, Steve. You'd probably have found it anyway. All I did was google 'Jumper 4 way module' and there were several options as well as youTube videos (I find Painless360 very useful). HobbyRC seem to be very good on prompt delivery.

YouTube in general is a very useful resource for hobbyist/diy information generally.

All we need now is for Covid to go away so we can enjoy a little normality and play with our 'toys'.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff S on 30/01/2021 19:33:20:

You're welcome, Steve. You'd probably have found it anyway. All I did was google 'Jumper 4 way module' and there were several options as well as youTube videos (I find Painless360 very useful). HobbyRC seem to be very good on prompt delivery.

YouTube in general is a very useful resource for hobbyist/diy information generally.

Agreed. I have started to create a TX16 playlist of useful videos as I am getting used to it - it covers initial config, module tuning for Frsky etc. Browse away if it is useful...

Edited By MattyB on 30/01/2021 19:49:14

I'm going to start a Radiomaster thread as this one has now gone off topic, my fault. After starting the thread with my question about Taranis with a 4 in 1 module I quickly instead went on to buy a Radiomaster TX16. Starting a new thread will enable us to put Radiomaster resources in a more logical place.

Thank you all for your input.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I have a HorusX10 Express (OpenTX) and I've bought the Jumper 4in1 for my Spektrum equipped models. All seems good, they bind and seem to work fine.

I have a question about range checking when we can get back to the field and actually fly. Does setting the range check in the Model settings in OpenTX reduce the transmitted power from the Jumper module in the same way that it would for the internal module? None of my Spektrum RXs have telemetry so I obviously won't have RSSI but will rely on the old 'walk away until things stop moving' test. Does it all just work as it would with my Spektrum TX?

I have a similar set up with my Horus X10 (OpenTX) but all I've bound to is the Spektrum wireless interface to use with RealFlight.  To minimise power consumption I've set the 'Low power mode' option. I'm fairly sure that works because battery consumption seems to be lower and I also get a warning about it when I first switch on.  The bind and range options are part of the model set up with external RF so I assume they work as with the internal RF selected.   I suppose the only way to be sure is when you do a real range check before flying.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff S
it came out red for some reason

1 hour ago, David Holland 2 said:

I am a very happy flyer with an X10 Express but am using FrOs (not OpenTx). Does a 4 in 1 module work with this operating system cos it would be really useful to use so of my Spektrum rx’s.

David

I doubt that very much David.

It's intended for OpenTX as it relies on having the option of selecting "Multiprotocol module" in the external module format menu.