FrSky Taranis with 4 in 1 module

Outrunner

1 hour ago, PatMc said:

Dick, thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid it's beyond my tech ability. 

I thought it was beyond mine, but I just downloaded the firmware file from the MPM website, changed the letters AETR on the page I posted earlier, then loaded it onto the 4 in 1 module.

Never done anything like that before and just followed the instructions on the  MPM website.

Felt quite proud of myself after that ?

Dick

• Like 1

Dick, I'm willing to give it a try. How do I get access to an Arduino editor & does it open the .bin file automatically ?

The example you posted isn't clear enough for me to read so I'm not sure exactly what it's showing. Mind you I'm waiting for cataract operations. ? 

Unfortunately, I don’t think you can start with an existing .bin file.

Like I said earlier I don’t really know what I am talking about, but a friend tried my 4 in 1 module in his X10 after I had updated it and it still worked for him as well as for me.

The MPM website has some “high level” instructions here which started me on my journey:-

https://www.multi-module.org/advanced-topics/compiling-the-firmware

BUT that really just points you to the full instructions for editing and compiling the Multi-Protocol source code which I followed:-

https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Multiprotocol-TX-Module/blob/master/docs/Compiling_STM32.md#download-the-multiprotocol-source-and-open-the-project

I guess you have already used the options in step 2 or 3 of that while updating the existing firmware, but I started with the option/step 4 and worked slowly through the instructions from there.

You start with an Arduino “sketch”, which took me a day or so to understand before I could edit the bits I needed to, but there are reasonably good instructions for each step. The software I used for editing and compiling the firmware was the Arduino IDE downloaded from here:-    https://www.arduino.cc/en/software

It took a bit of thinking about, but I got there in the end. The good thing is that you are editing the firmware outside of the module so if you get lost you can always start again before trying to load it on the actual module.

Dick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is the way I did it to give me ETAR as the default input.

My only reservation is that I am using a simple ppm input and there are no selection options that way like there are via the Open Tx interfaces, SO - is there a different part of the source code that deals with the selectable options?

I loaned the module to friend who had just purchased an X10 and wanted to see if he could use it to control his legacy Spektrum Rx while he changed over, and it worked OK so there is probably little risk in experimenting.

Dick

Selectable options are in the _config.h file, which is normal so that the source code does not have to be modified (that would be a nightmare).

I have flashed my MPM with the AERT changes. The TX shows AERT and binds to a Hitec Optima Rx.

Here is the puzzle. All the channels work as before in that the Throttle stick controls the throttle servo and the rudder stick controls the rudder, I was expecting them to be swapped.

There must be some hidden magic going on.

BTW I am using serial not ppm.

Very curious, well I am. ?

44 minutes ago, EarlyBird said:

Selectable options are in the _config.h file, which is normal so that the source code does not have to be modified (that would be a nightmare).

I have flashed my MPM with the AERT changes. The TX shows AERT and binds to a Hitec Optima Rx.

Here is the puzzle. All the channels work as before in that the Throttle stick controls the throttle servo and the rudder stick controls the rudder, I was expecting them to be swapped.

There must be some hidden magic going on.

BTW I am using serial not ppm.

Very curious, well I am. ?

I agree. I would have expected some re-mapping of channels. That's certainly how I read it according to this:

https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Multiprotocol-TX-Module/blob/master/docs/Channel_Order.md

Haha just found that.

Protocols Without a Fixed Channel Order

The Multiprotocol Module also supports protocols which do not have a specific channel order. For these protocols the channel order is not changed and will be transmitted as received from the radio.

Examples of protocols which are not reordered: Corona, FrSkyD, FrSkyX, FrSkyV, Hitec, and WFly.

There is more going on here that is going to take some working out.

Some useful information regarding modifying the configuration of the multiprotocol firmware.

If you are likely to update your module firmware in the future, and you change the configuration, you need to repeat the changes when you download the updated firmware.

The first item in _Config.h is:

//#define USE_MY_CONFIG

If you remove the "//" at the start of that line, then an extra configuration file ("_MyConfig.h") will be included after _Config.h.

If you put all the changes you need in this file, which is yours and not updated with everything else, then every time you download to get an update you only need to change the one line in _Config.h (enable USE_MY_CONFIG).

How to change an existing setting? Suppose you want the channel order to be EART instead of the default AETR. Just put two lines in your _MyConfig.h file:

#undef AETR

#define EART

The first line removes the default setting and the second line creates the new setting.

A slightly more complete version is:

#ifdef AETR

#undef AETR

#endif

#define EART

This checks to see if AETR is defined before removing it, then defines the setting you need.

I think we are up to version 1.3.2.61 of the multiprotocol firmware. A recent addition, for those who like modifying things, is to provide a CPPM signal to enable a module to be used as a wireless trainer in many FrSky radios. How to do this is documented on the multiprotocol Github site.

Mike

• Thanks 1