FrSky Taranis with 4 in 1 module

Outrunner

Hello,I have a Hitec Aurora 9 for about 10 years now and love the system, but as we know Hitec have stopped making transmitters and I'm thinking of future proofing myself. I will need a couple of new receivers this year and I'm reluctant to by any more Hitec receivers in case my Aurora dies and I have nothing to use them with.

I also have a few Spektrum receivers that I use on a Spektrum DX6i g1, works perfectly.

I've considered a Radiomaster TX16 but from what I've read I don't think it's up quite the build quality and "feel" of my Aurora. I would like to go to a shop and look at one but that's not an option at the moment.

So, what I'm thinking of is a Taranis XD9 Plus 2019 fitted with a 4 in 1 module. When I buy new receivers I will buy FrSky but use the module so that I can keep my existing receivers.

My question is can I switch between receivers easily when switching over to a different model or do I have to dive into the programming to switch between Hitec and FrSky?

I understand I will have to learn open Tx but with lockdown I have plenty of time!

T9 have the Taranis X9 Plus 2019 complete with an R8 Archer Pro for £186 (plus battery) so quite a cost effective way to get started

Any thoughts if this is a good plan?

Phil.

Hi Outrunner.

What you are suggesting is more or less what I've done, except that I have switched from JR DSM2 to a Horus with Jumper Module.

Once set up, I can freely switch between models having DSM2 receivers or FRSky receivers just by pressing a button to access Model Select, scrolling to the model I want then selecting it. It works seamlessly.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 25/01/2021 10:28:44

I also use a 4 in 1 module in my Qx7 Taranis. I use the onboard RF module for FRSKY things and get to use the 4 in 1 module for my older FLYSKY and DSMX receivers. I have added some FLYSKY receivers since changing to FRSKY as they are good value. As Gary has reported, once set up their operation is transparent. I have from time to time, had to scroll through the model config to find what it is working on.

My FLYSKY stuff uses telemetry and is "seen" by the OpenTx system without me having to configure that part... how the Tx displays it is then configured within the menus.

There is a small niggle with the telemetry operation, possibly related to the version of OpenTx that I use, and more related to how we handle telemetry. As far as I understand, telemetry is treated as void data if no RSSI signal is present. I For example, I can see the battery monitor on the screen with one Rx and the Vario data on another, neither gives an RSSI value. The data can be seen and displayed on a bar graph or numerically, but no calculations can be made on the data. That means that no alarms can be set for telemetry data. It's fine on receivers that do return RSSI.

When I asked about it, it seems reasonable that something should flag that all data is void, for example when the Rx is switched off etc....

It demonstrated just how many different F/W versions I have on my FLYSKY receivers...

David. Thank you for your input, nice to hear someone else is successfully using a similar setup to what I'm thinking of.

Hitec telemetry receivers don't give a RSSI value but they give me a constant readout of flight pack voltage (I only fly electric) also I have a Vario connected to one receiver so I hope that will work.

I've just about made the decision to go and order a Taranis, so there could be a lot more questions...

Thank you all

Phil

Posted by Outrunner on 25/01/2021 13:02:09:

David. Thank you for your input, nice to hear someone else is successfully using a similar setup to what I'm thinking of.

Hitec telemetry receivers don't give a RSSI value but they give me a constant readout of flight pack voltage (I only fly electric) also I have a Vario connected to one receiver so I hope that will work.

I've just about made the decision to go and order a Taranis, so there could be a lot more questions...

Thank you all

Phil

Please let us know if you do get a Taranis. I'd be interested if it will operate valid telemetry without an RSSI input.

Edited By David Hall 9 on 25/01/2021 20:28:41

Posted by David Hall 9 on 25/01/2021 20:27:07:
Posted by Outrunner on 25/01/2021 13:02:09:

Thank you all

Phil

Please let us know if you do get a Taranis. I'd be interested if it will operate valid telemetry without an RSSI input.

Edited By David Hall 9 on 25/01/2021 20:28:41

David, I will let you know how I get on with telemetry when I get a Hitec receiver bound to the transmitter.

I've decided with the help of this forum (thanks guys) to go down the FrSky/4 in 1 module route but I'm debating with myself if I should order a Taranis or Horus 10........decisions decisions.

Phil

Posted by Brian Lambert on 25/01/2021 21:53:54:

Outrunner Could I ask why the taranus instead of the Radiomaster TX16?

I must admit I wondered that and I'm a real Frsky person. I've just ordered a 4 way module to put in my Horus X10 to give me a little flexibilty. I miss 35Mhz when I could use a variety of receivers. I think if I were starting now the Radiomaster would be at or very near the top of my list.

Geoff

Geoff S, yes if you already have an openTX transmitter then I can see that a multi mode module would be a good first step, but if starting from scratch with openTX I would think the colour screen with the promise of touch screen soon at the price would be worth a look.

Edited By Brian Lambert on 25/01/2021 22:25:10

Posted by Brian Lambert on 25/01/2021 21:53:54:

Outrunner Could I ask why the taranus instead of the Radiomaster TX16?

Brian, good question, not sure how well I can answer it. The TX16 looks great value for money and it has the built in multiprotocol module. In an ideal world I world go into my model and compare the different radios, but as you that is not going to happen with Covid 19 and the lack of local model shops.

So I have to rely on You Tube and forums like this and the message I get is the TX16 is good but does not have the build quality of my present Hitec Aurora or FrSky. FrSky have a lot of users out there and spare parts and upgrade seem to be easy to find.

There are other maybe minor points but at the end of the day I think I prefer the Taranis/Horus. I like value for money but I don't object paying more for good quality. I'm not saying the TX16 is not good quality but I think the Taranis suits my needs better.

Thank you all for your comments, keep them coming.

I just need to decide Taranis or Horus...

Outrunner, Thanks for the reply, I have two taranus X9Ds and would say that the Radiomaster feels about the same if not a little better quality. I have never handled any Hitec transmitters so can't comment on them, I would say that the X9D is a nicer shape if you squeeze the sticks but if you are a thumb flyer then there is not much difference.

I don't suppose you are any where near Crawley are you?

If it's Taranis v Horus then Horus wins hands down. I have 2 Taranis transmitters and they've both had problems mechanically with the 6 navigation push buttons (they become detached inside). Mine are old and perhaps they've improved the attachment. Anyway the Horus is a lot better IMO.

Incidentally, I hate touch screens and would never choose one in any application where there was an alternative. I don't have full control of my fingers individually and I'm always liable to touch somethimg inadvertently which often has surprising results

Geoff

Taranis or Horus?

That's the question I had to answer when I was introduced to FRSky a few years ago. I loved the concept of a transmitter driven by open source software. I liked the way that the Taranis transmitters could do pretty much anything you want it to do. The Taranis seemed to be ideal but felt a bit lightweight in my hands. It felt a bit lacking in quality. Then along came the Horus. WOW. It fit me like a glove. It can do anything you would ever need and it feels really good.

Taranis can do anything that Horus can do, so the choice is whether you are prepared to pay for the better feel, colour display and higher price of the Horus.

Can't comment on the newer, cheaper OpenTX transmitters - but can't think of a reason not to try one.

I've had Taranis 9D+ for a couple of years now and, more recently, a Taranis 9D+2019. They both feel 'right' to me, being a very similar shape and size to my old Futaba, though lighter. Some of our club members who have both swear by Horus, but one of its advantages over the Taranis -- Hall effect gymbals -- is now adopted by the 2019 version of the Taranis. So that really leaves colour screen as the only Horus selling point, plus personal preference regarding its size/shape/feel. I rarely look at the screen, so colour is not an issue, and I prefer buttons over touch screen.

Thank again everyone for your comments, they are much appreciated.

Brian, I live near Cambridge, nowhere near Crawley.

Still undecided, I could still order a Radiomaster for a low cost way to test the Open Tx water. Then I could get a X9D SE 2019 that has the hall effect gimbals. I do like the Horus but I'm worried that it's might be a little too heavy to hand hold comfortably, again I would really like to try before I buy. Also the Horus will be stretching my budget but I'm willing to stretch it if that's the one I decide I need.

I'm going to look at the Radiomaster Tx16 again as it's such a bargain price.

Thanks again

Phil.

Several of us in my club have gone with the Radiomaster TX16S for various reasons.

We have a mixture of HiTec, Spektrum and Multiplex users, the TX16S supplements those brands.

Hitec, Spektrum - The TX16s can operate their Rxs as well as Orange DSMX and many other protocols including FrSky. Price is very competitive too. Quality control, seemingly no worse than HiTec or Spektrum.

Multiplex: Not withstanding the likely price hikes for importing from Germany now, how long will MPX be able to stay in the radio & model market given conditions, competition etc. etc???? OpenTx are working on the MPX protocol too apparently.

As others have said you can go as deeply, (or not!), as you wish into 'OpenTx'.

Personally, I've been very impressed by its flexibility and how you can tailor it to your preferences. At the price, the TX16S is a bargain and why pay double, triple or more for a.n.other brand that has the same or similar spec only to replace that in a year or two because it's obsolete or no longer supported etc.

Posted by Allan Bennett on 26/01/2021 03:26:08:

I've had Taranis 9D+ for a couple of years now and, more recently, a Taranis 9D+2019. They both feel 'right' to me, being a very similar shape and size to my old Futaba, though lighter. Some of our club members who have both swear by Horus, but one of its advantages over the Taranis -- Hall effect gymbals -- is now adopted by the 2019 version of the Taranis. So that really leaves colour screen as the only Horus selling point, plus personal preference regarding its size/shape/feel. I rarely look at the screen, so colour is not an issue, and I prefer buttons over touch screen.

I don't know about the latest Horus X10 transmitters but mine has buttons, too, though different from the Taranis and, so far, more reliable. I don't look a the screen whilst actually flying (who does?) but the colour screen makes setting up easier and the ability to include a picture of your own model is fun (though trivial fun). It doesn't have a touch screen and I wouldn't want one anyway.

As for feel and weight - that hardly affect me because I use a tray so the transmitter is supported on a strap and it's not so heavy that I get neck strain It's on OpenTX, too. I converted it from the Frsky OS as soon as I acquired it.

Geoff

Posted by Mike Blandford on 26/01/2021 12:27:56:

From my testing of the 4-in-1 module (external or internal, I have 1 internal STM, 2 AVR based external, 1 DIY STM external and 2 Jumper STM external modules), I've found the transmitted power when using the CC2500 RF chip is somewhat lower than a FrSky module. This results in a shorter range.

Mike

Mike, Will telemetry be treated as void by OpenTx without an RSSI signal being returned?

I have some FLYSKY receivers that do not provide RSSI and the OP hopes to use some of his receivers that also do not provide an RSSI signal. Using the receivers via the 4in1 module, but is it an OpenTx restriction?

Edited By David Hall 9 on 26/01/2021 13:01:41

Posted by Mike Blandford on 26/01/2021 12:27:56:

From my testing of the 4-in-1 module (external or internal, I have 1 internal STM, 2 AVR based external, 1 DIY STM external and 2 Jumper STM external modules), I've found the transmitted power when using the CC2500 RF chip is somewhat lower than a FrSky module. This results in a shorter range.

Mike

Mike, any figures for the loss of range? The range of my Horus (and Taranis) is far, far more than I need for LoS flying so a slightly reduced range may well not be an issue.

Geoff

Decision made. I've ordered a Radiomaster 16S with hall effect gimbals. In the end I decided to take the lower cost route into open Tx withe the Radiomaster. I convinced myself that if Open Tx didn't work out for me I haven't spent several hundred pounds of a shiny Horus. I had chat with Mike at HobbyRC who sells both Frsky and Radiomaster advised me that the Radiomaster was the best for my purposes.

I also wanted to order a Frsky G-RX8 receiver with a built in vario but they are out of stock, hopefully should be here in a couple of weeks.

Thank you all for your help and comments they been very helpful. I will report back later with an update to how I get on.

Now I have to download Open Tx companion and start learning open Tx. Wish me luck.

Phil

Posted by Outrunner on 26/01/2021 15:21:35:

Decision made. I've ordered a Radiomaster 16S with hall effect gimbals. In the end I decided to take the lower cost route into open Tx withe the Radiomaster. I convinced myself that if Open Tx didn't work out for me I haven't spent several hundred pounds of a shiny Horus. I had chat with Mike at HobbyRC who sells both Frsky and Radiomaster advised me that the Radiomaster was the best for my purposes.

...Now I have to download Open Tx companion and start learning open Tx. Wish me luck.

I will reproduce a post below from this thread which should help you - remember we also have dedicated threads for OpenTX questions in this very forum as well...