Precedent t180 plans !

Hi Craig, welcome to the forum. From what I have read elsewhere there was only a plan for the built up wing, not the fuselage. The rest of the build was covered by an instruction booklet. If you go to this thread and look at the post by IanR at the bottom of the page, he says he has the instructions and plan in .pdf. I suggest you PM him and ask if he could kindly email you the files.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello everyone. Could anyone with experience of the Precedent T180 advise on a recommended CoG please? I have just aquired an example which will require a little recommissioning before I can get it back in the air but I don't know where the balance point should be. It looks as though it has a lifting tailplane section.

Many thanks indeed.

Probably 25% of the wing chord would be safe but you could always contact Slec and ask them what the CoG should be. It'll probably be the same as the T240 (adjusted for scale) which they still sell.

I still have Slec's 1996 booklet/catalogue but, unfortunately, the CoG isn't given.  Balsa prices are, though, and they're a revelation - 1/16" x 3"x 36" for 38p 🙂

Thanks Geoff. 

38p! Those were clearly the days. Current balsa prices are one of the reasons I now prefer to refurbish old airframes rather than build from scratch. The raw materials would have cost way more than the completed airframe second hand.

Thanks ever so much, that is exactly the information I was after. Brilliant! I'm hoping to give this T180 a new lease of life and perhaps even use it as a club trainer and to offer some trial flights via the buddy box. It should be suitably stable and robust for this type of thing. It came with a lovely SC52FS engine which looks to be in good condition now I've unglued the carburettor. I doubt it will get as far as Robben Island however. That sounds like an interesting story? Got me thinking though......I regularly visit Gibraltar and I wonder if anyone has ever crossed the straight to Morocco by radio control? Perhaps the best chance of a transcontinental flight! Its only 8 miles so someone must have done it. How big a tank would I need for that distance.............

Thanks again for the info, very much appreciated.

Yes indeed, would need to factor in the support vessel and avoid getting squashed by cargo ships etc. Getting the airframe there in the first place, permission to use airspace close to the airport. The more I think about it the actual flying is probably the easy part!  

15 hours ago, Bruce Collinson said:

A 5-min tank plus a margin, assuming it flies at 40 mph.

That would only get him a third of the way across, and that's assuming that there is no headwind, no height to be gained and lost and that the take-off and landing points are close to the coast.

40mph is 2/3 of a mile per minute; 8 miles would therefore take 12 minutes going in a straight line at 40mph.

Perhaps you meant to write a 15 minute tank?

I know this is just a discussion point, and not likely to be undertaken in reality.

Brian.

11 hours ago, Chris Freeman 3 said:

We under estimate the speed that our aircraft fly, especially over longer distances. I found the old article on our flight and that should give more detail on the challenges of a flight like this.robbin Island.pdf

Thanks Chris, I enjoyed reading about this. Did you all manage to hold on to your breakfast!

I think we were too busy to be sick, I am normally not the best on a boat in the ocean, big or small, but never had any issues on this trip. The T240 really taught us a lot as we flew it from the most ridiculous areas in often unfavourable wind and still had it loaded with sweets and never had any issues with the aircraft but my nerves have taken a toll! The strange thing as well is this was all done with an ST 90 which most would consider as marginal for this size airframe and Futaba 3001 servos all round!