RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

I've decided to rescind my earlier comments on balsa spars. I've just stripped the hardest 1/8" balsa I have in stock (15lb/cu ft) and weighed a 36" length. the result was 4.0gm. Stripping a similar length of spruce came up with 8.8gm. Substituting the spars with spruce would increase the overall weight by about 60gm, or just over 2 oz. More importantly, destructive testing of the balsa spars showed them to be quite weak, so I shall be using spruce for my spars.

Balsa does exist in harder grades, which would be proportionately stronger...but it would also be heavier, reducing the penalty for using spruce.

Advert

Interesting research Andy, thanks for that.

Ernie, I would like to do oleos, and I cannot see why not, but I haven't checked diameters etc yet

Adding carbon is a good idea. I have been musing what to use to harden/sharpen the trailing edges, carbon would be my preferred choice but the .5mm rod is quite expensive. We will have to see

Carbon tissue between two 32nd laminations could be an option also William. So many choices nowadays. My fear is that adding strength may just move the failure elsewhere. So I am still musing that one as well.

Cheers

Danny

I considered webbing Richard, but decided against it as it stiffens the structure. A bendy structure can often be less likely to break than a stiff one.

Most of my modelling has been in free flight. In this case we would probably make the wing with two central spruce spars of around 1/4" x 3/8" and live rigging. I want to keep the model as near to the plan as I can, hence the choice of four spruce spars the same size and position as the hard balsa versions.

In the end, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. You've got to go with what your experience tells you should work.

I have pinned 1/8th balsa strips between each rib position on the plan to raise the lower wing spars so that the wing lies flat and so the ribs don't touch the plan. I have also introduced 1.5mm dia carbon rod into the trailing edge to try and reduce any warping - I am not sure if this will achieve anything!

I'm impressed with the quality and accuracy of the Sarik wood components.

I really do like to include' cockpit detail in my models. It's a bit difficult because of the sheet balsa inner box that Andys pix show. This means that the cockpit will be narrower than on the original, and the walls will not be curved.

Any ideas

ernie.

Hi all, that instrument panel is truly a thing of beauty, there seem to be several variants, depending on what version we are modelling.

The sheet sides make it almost impossible to get the silver fascia to sit properly in place

Could the structure be modified around the cockpit, without compromising the structure, and altering the spirit of the build?

ernie

Hi Stuart. Re bending, cap strips are best pre-bent to match the curve of the rib. To do this, lay the cap strip on your bench, lightly press down on it with a pen barrel or some other smooth rod about 3/8in to 1/2in diameter, and pull the cap strip through, lifting the pulled end at the same time. Repeat as necessary until the curve matches the aerofoil shape. Practice on a spare length of strip until you can do it without breaking the strip. The pre-curved strip will usually attach OK with PVA and a pin at each end.

Cheers

Gordon