RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Danny

I purchased a full Fury kit from Traplet before they went under and I am slowly working through the build. I have just found this forum and have read most of the useful comments from you all, particularly those on the cowl and the brass parts.

Are there still any copies of the brass parts for sale?

The main part trouble that I have had so far was that F6 seems to be too wide and created a bulge in the paneling that is not there on the original.

Thanks

Graham

Hi Danny

I.m not sure what a PM is!! When I know you better I'll tell you how old I am, I saw a while ago a notification about the Fury build and immediately sent for the plans expecting there would be a series of articles in RCM&E starting in November, As there wasn't I emailed someone who should have known but he told me you didn't get enough starters and the idea fell through. Luckily in this month's RCME there is a mention of the thread. I have spent a pleasant and informative afternoon reading all the posts.. Todfay I have ordered all the bits from Sarik. I would be grateful if I may join the "class"

Regards,

Jim Andrews

Hi Jim,

PM just means 'private massage'... err... 'message'... You'll find the link at the bottom left of every member posting a public message.

Regarding your membership to the Master Class, it's up to Danny to answer you, but I would possibly say 'Welcome to Insanity'. wink

@ Graham > regarding the brass parts, I guess it would be best to send a PM to Ernie as he provided the bunch of us with the etched bits. Maybe he's still having a 'leftover'?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Jim, not sure who would have said insufficient starters? As Chris says welcome to the build!
If you can use pm to let me know your email, there is a mailing list for us to keep up to date with plan corrections, former redraws etc
For example Andy has just drawn new upper wing ribs showing rails for seperate servos.
Anyway if you can create a thread in the Fury section and introduce yourself to the class
Cheers
Danny

I have had an email address from Graham (posted slightly up the page) And I have forwarded the former outlines to correct the errors on the plan. This is the benefit of getting your email address onto my mailing list. So if you are building and haven't sent me your address, then send it to me in a PM Don't post email addresses on the open forum.

Cheers

Danny

Dick Van Mourik describes difficulties in ground handling and problems with wing-tips scraping the ground, which he resolved by widening the undercarriage 50mm. He also used a thicker gauge wire axle, although that won’t arise with the Dowty undercarriage version, has anyone thought about that? This is definitely going to be a model that needs into wind take-offs and landings, not always so easy on some flying sites. The tailwheel versions might be a bit easier if steerable I suppose. (I just watched the video that Danny posted on Facebook of the beautiful Albatros DVa veering off the runway on landing and tipping over, losing a wheel in the process).

I can easily widen mine but I probably need to lengthen the legs to avoid it sitting at too shallow an angle on the ground and not looking right. That means re-making the whole lot, although at this stage I can do it if necessary.

Posted by Stuart Rusby on 03/12/2018 12:26:53:

Andy, Danny kindly sent a copy of your method of mounting the wing servos. What servos would you recommend ?

I have been looking at flat wing servos, they seem powerful enough but I am unsure about the servo arm length I can fit in. Any tips welcomed...

This is the servo I'm using Stuart:

img_7580.jpeg

I have to say at this point that I have no experience of using the servo. In fact, although I've been flying RC semi-regularly for the past 40 odd years, the last four channel RC scale aircraft I built was in 1983! SO, I'm shooting very much in the dark on this one.

Anyway, my plan was to try to mirror the position of the existing model aileron control but substituting the servo for the bell crank. The servo can be mounted horizontally with the servo arm offset to mirror the bell crank's line of operation:

img_7576.jpeg

The next pic shows the servo arm superimposed over the rib. My aim is to use the innermost hole and cut the rest off, but just in case I need more movement, I'm leaving the final sizing of the arm until the model is assembled.

img_7577.jpeg

The next photo shows the skewed servo arm on the servo. It's printed upside down, so the TE is to the left of the picture and the lower surface of the wing is upwards, if you see what I mean.

img_7578.jpeg