RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

WOW DANNY these are just formidable

What a dilema,  'simplicate and add lightness' is writ large on my workshop wall. How much does a rivet weigh?

Also, I'm drawing a template for the instrument panel. If anyone wants a copy, I can post it in a few days

ernie

Edited By Ernie on 25/10/2018 09:33:25

Hi Ernie, Flickr is not displaying the pictures at full res for some reason. But if you download a picture at orig size you will then see that each image is massive,(15MB each) and even the wide shots can be zoomed right in.....

I think Tony has done some nice 3D parts already might be worth dropping him a PM?

Cheers

Danny

Indeed a very impressive collection of pics. yes

While you guys were counting all those rivets and analyzing the stiches's spacing, did somebody had a thought about measuring those splendid Dzus fasteners... ??? angel

Question for Danny, please > did you use some other glues than Rocket CA so far during your build? Aliphatic, PVA?

As I never used CA before, would the green Zap-o-Gap be suitable as well?

Cheers

Chris

Great pictures Martin, well done. I don't think I will live long enough to include all the detail, and if I do, my Fury will be too heavy to fly!

Chris, I'm using superphatic or aliphatic where I can. I avoid CA as much as possible and only use it when speed is necessary.

William

Hi Chris, I use thin CA to pin balsa, and Titebond (white wood glue) For stronger joints. So I will pin with small dabs of CA (Rocket thin) then run a bead of Titebond. Sometimes I will apply titebond on the joint first then pin with CA after pressing together.

I use a very small amount of Epoxy but that is really for hi stress points. The triangle fillets between F1 (ply) and the 3/16" sides for example.

Green zap-a-gap is too thick a consistency for me, though I found it is really good lite ply to lite ply.

For Jose the tailwheel assembly is the same as the Hurricane MkI, the tyre and rim are close.....

tire info.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Those photos are excellent Martin, can’t believe that you did those with your IPhone? Although we tend to think of the Fury as being a “clean” biplane, it makes you realise that beyond the beautiful nose contours it was anything but and its 1928 “Hornet” origins are pretty obvious. Paradise for the expert scale buff! I don’t think InwilI willl be that ambitious though.

Hi Danny and Martyn, thanks for sharing your outstanding compilations of Fury detail shots. They show just how complex these between wars warbirds really are, and do full justice to the many thousands of manhours that must have gone into the drafting and detail design. One thing that tickled me was the device used to stop the u/c cross-bracing wires from rubbing against each other. What looks like a leather cuff is wrapped round the middle of the rear wire and secured by clamps. Not only that, the wires are airfoil x-section along all their length except for where they cross in the middle, where they're moulded to a circular cross-section, presumably because otherwise the sharper edges of flat wires would have cut into each other due to vibration.

I was also astounded at Danny's flying shots of the P-38 Lightning. The clarity and focus are so exact that in the ones where it's doing a left-to-right banked fly-by, you can pretty well discern the pilot's facial features. That's some camera, operated by a very expert photographer!

Going through these pics made my day. Thanks guys!

Gordon

Hi Gordon, thank you very much but really I just point and shoot, and hope I get a shot, but there are indeed some lucky ones in there

I am really pleased somebody looked! like many modellers photography has always been fighting for my limited time. Most look at thumbnails and don't appreciate that the image contains so much more information if they zoom in or look at it full size. You need to look up Matt Jones, he is an ace sloper and his pictures really are stunning.

To return the compliment I thouroughly enjoyed you throwing that lovely tiger moth around on Sunday at Ashbourne, a slow 4 point roll and an inverted spin!! I can hear the scale guys murmuring now, but they were all really well flown, not manouvres you see done, but the aircraft is capable if the pilot often is not! I enjoyed your flights Gordon. Wish i could have chatted but time got away from me and next thing I knew the day was gone.

I stared up at some of the other biplane exhibits while walking around Duxford and by comparison the Fury is buried in detail!!!

Cheers

Danny

Excellent José, well I can recomend Duxford and for a show the flying Legends event is amazing.

RAF Cosford is local to me and also an excellent museum.

Sorry I didn't measure that tailwheel, I was caught out without my measuring stick. If I go again and can garner access again I will measure it, though it does look almost identical to the Hurri mkI

I didn't have access to the Nimrod MkI as it is not Guy Black's, But I might see if i can get up close to that one as the main wheels are wire, and much larger than the Nimrod II, which in turn are larger than the Fury......

Cheers

Danny

Gentlemen,

I am not joining in your Fury build, but following and admiring all your efforts.

I'm having a workshop clearout in advance of my winter building, and I have just been sorting through a pile of model mags to rip out anything interesting/useful before they go into the recycle bin. I came across copies of RC Scale International from May/June, July/August and September/October 2004, which have a three part build and flying article for the Bryant Fury.

I know that Danny already has these articles, but if any others of you would like them I am happy to post to the first to PM me with a name and address.

Cheers,

David

Edited By David P Williams on 27/10/2018 10:47:56

Hi David,

That's very generous of you. smiley

Wouldn't it be better to scan the three articles as a .pdf so everyone interested could enjoy a digital copy?

That is if you have a scanner at hand, of course. Otherwise your recipient could possibly have the equipment and share it to the Master Class. yes

Cheers

Chris