RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

I would finish yours in the way you feel is best for your model Danny. As for me, I'm going the Mick Reeves sticky-ali route. I need to experiment first, but it does look good when properly applied. I believe the only issues are that it doesn't do compound curves very well and it requires a hard rub-down, so the ground needs to be hard. i.e not soft balsa.

I agree with Andy, Danny. Build the model to your own requirements. If you feel you must do a demo then try putting Lith on a hard boiled egg or similar. You wont get any better compo​und curves and if you manage that you will be in even more awe that you are already are..

laugh

To answer your question - yes - I am going down the Lith path mainly because I am clumsy butter and lith is slightly tougher than tape.

Martyn

Hi Danny,

Much as I would like to try litho plate, I am having enough problems as it is without taking on a new problem altogether. I am beginning to consider changing to a complete paint scheme rather than gilding the lillly and adding extra weight with the litho. It seems to me that adding litho to single curved parts is not too difficult, but something like the cowl is much more demanding.

If you have time to show us how it's done, I would certainly be interested.

William

I was perusing the Peter Warburg drawings taken from the original Hawker Siddeley Fury1 production drawings (approved by Sidney Camm) and came across the following useful wing info:

Top wing: dihedral 1 degree, incidence 3 degree 20 minutes

Bottom wing: dihedral 3 degrees 30 minutes, incidence 3 degrees 50 minutes.

I shall 'press on' with using litho, I love the really shiny parts of the Fury.

Stuart

I really should have gone back to the car for my tape measure when we went to Duxford the other week. You can scale from the Westburg drawings, probably fairly accurate. But looking at a Fury and two Nimrods I saw three different sizes of wheel and tyre. The Nimrod 1 had a wire wheel!

I will see if I can get another day off, and go again, want to meet me there Martin

Cheers

Danny