RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Many thanks Andy for all the trouble you took to show me so clearly your intended layout of the wing servo mounting. Because the drive axis is at right angles to the bellcrank axis the end of the servo arm will be below the wing covering and the drive to the aileron horn will be roughly parallel to the underside of the wing. This geometry should be OK, I think, although the horn arm will be at an angle to this drive shaft..

I have used Hitec HS-85MG wing servos on my 1/6th scale Mick Reeves Spitfire to good effect after I had problems with cheaper 'Chinese' servos. The new MacGregor MG2611WHV 11Kg.cm high voltage looks very interesting, also its slightly smaller twin the MG2107WHV 6.6Kg.cm version. They would appear to have a high quality specification.

Stuart

Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 04/12/2018 12:25:55:
Yes they do stamp your initials on the engine. Haven't seen the 120 available for quite some time now

Edited By Manish Chandrayan on 04/12/2018 12:27:50

Thanks Manish, I have so many projects both in my head and in various stages of completion, doubt I am any different to others crook

Stuart I think Andy was going to cut the horn on the servo down so only the pushrod would poke through the covering?

Cheers

Danny

I will be powering mine with a laser and had thought of a 100 or 120, as this would suit future models. Both of these engines are out of production at the moment and after correspondence with Jon (Laser), his recommendation is that their 80 would be suitable, running a 15x6 prop. The 120 is a short stroke engine that likes to rev a little.

Regards

SW

Thank you SW. If I had not met up with the "class" I would have powered my Fury with either a Merco 61 or a Webra Blackhead!!

A Laser 80 has a lot going for it, they are available and my winter build would have been a Mistle Thrush for which the Laser 80 is reccomended.

Now I am in a dither but think I will go with you!

Regards

Jim

So far Corunna servos arrived this am, but nothing else. Laser engs. web said they had one 80 in stock so immediately tried to buy it but probably too late as i have heard nothing from them.

Ernie I would be grateful for the contact address with your etchers.

Still waiting for a "huge" parcel fron Sarick, but it is early days

Jim

I have come into the forum late but I started building my Fury (slowly) a year ago. In case my approach is of interest to others I have made the following modifications to the plan based on my experience in building (and flying) a SIG Smith Miniplane (biplane) kit.

Wings: spruce spars and leading edges. Carbon fibre strip instead of balsa for the training edge. I have put a blind nut into the spar at each of the flying wire / strut attachment points so that a bolt can be used to hold brackets for the flying wires and struts (better to physically attach the struts to the wings?). 3 not 2 hinge parts at each hinge to prevent any sideways movement. Single carbon fibre rod for the hinges for each aileron, not separate bolts

Fuselage: Had trouble with F6 being too large. Used spruce for the stringers, these will not be glued into place until all the elevator, rudder and tail wheel installations are complete. Created a removable 'cockpit box' that can be detailed then installed from underneath.

Fin/rudder: pullull to be used. spruce for the main upright of the fin

Stabiliser/elevators: spruce for the stabiliser bar. single servo but separate elevator horns

Undercarriage: I will make this wider than on the plan as suggested by Dick van Mourik in his 2004 article.

Thanks for all your useful tips and comments. I might build and do a test fIight or two before doing the fine detailing just in case my flying is not up to it. I was lucky to find a Laser120 when I was in UK earlier this year so that is one problem solved.

My main problem ahead is how will I fit it into the car?

Graham

I have been asked to create a cad drawing of the tool for shaping the leading edges. Which I have done. If anybody wants a copy of the dxf file to give to a laser cutter then just let me know.

leading edge shaping tool.jpg

I have tweeked the design to make the tool longer (100mm) and included two end pieces that are added after the tool is lined with 1.5mm balsa and the 120 grit aluminium oxide paper. The end pieces act as a guide and stop the tool digging into the balsa.

Cheers

Danny

Hi Jim, I am not much of an IC poerson these days, I know Jon from Laser, has recomended a Laser 80 to one modeller. Richard D who has been flying his for a while felt the 1.20 was much better than the smaller engine he was using. I often wonder if we use a larger engine than we need to these days?

But if you need nose-weight it may as well be useful

Cheers

Danny

It still remains that Dennis Bryant flew the original on a Merco 61. A decent four stroke 60 should have similar power these days and it makes you think. Also I come back to Dick Van Mourik who first flew his with a 91 four stroke then decided he needed a bit more power so fitted a 120! I remain “gobsmacked” at his statement that he needed 10 ozs of weight in the nose to get it to balance, a bit frightening. It all seems a bit odd. My original Pat French Team Special, also a 60” wingspan biplane was fully aerobatic on an HB61 (a licence built Veco 61) and later was overpowered with an Irvine Q72, so you do wonder. I think that weighed about 8lbs. from memory.

Dick Van Mourik placed his servo’s within the lower wing opening, so behind the balance point, that’s quite a lot of weight in the wrong place according to the plan which has them all positioned just behind the firewall thereby creating useful nose weight, he also added scale panels in the aft fuselage sides, even so, it does seem to be a lot of ballast - it’ll be interesting to see the variations in requirements across the various models being built.

Ken

Hi all Class Mates, Quite large package arrived Friday from Sarik and this AM i completed the tailplane & elevators. I have never before built a T.P. with so many parts!! Next I will go for the fuselage. Normally I build the wings first as I find them the least interesting bit, all those wing ribs to cut out,

Regards

Jim Andrews

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Fury builders, where are you all? Too much turkey, or the red stuff methinks

Well, I've been slowly picking away ar my Fury...Some thoughts.....I've reinforced the trailing edge of the lower wing with a fine 1mm carbon rod. It does make a surprising difference to the sharpness of the TE and rigidity. I'll certainly do the same with the top wing

I really do enjoy detailing cockpits, but of course on this model, its difficult, because the internal box structure messes up the' space that we have have. So I cut away the top half of the inner frama, and replaced the top stringer with a 4mm carbon tube; Of course its far from true scale, But I reckon I can make it look OK.

Ill try and post some pix tomorrow

ernie

As very much a follower of all you chaps, here is my effort so far. I have just realised that the tops of the cabane struts are bent backwards, as well as vertical - that will test my wire bending skills somewhat.

Regarding the U/C, does anyone have thoughts on the merits or otherwise of installing sprung oleo legs and if so, where can suitable ones be sourced?

Richard Mdsc_0265.jpg