Still confused about CAA registration / BMFA interaction

Andy C

Is anyone else still confused about the CAA registration?

Mine expired today, so I have just logged into BMFA and to renew.  No mention of renewal anywhere, just "CAA registration" available to add to cart which I did.  No mention either of my existing ID number anywhere.  Anyway, paid the £9 and then my registration appeared under "Membership"  But, expiry date is showing as 31/01/2022.  And operator ID is same as last year despite me thinking it would change.

Then I get an email saying that if I originally arranged my membership direct with CAA or with another organisation I now have to fill in another BMFA form.

I thought keeping it all in one place would make it simpler, but I am not so sure anymore!  Was the system supplied to CAA by the same group who did the COVID track and trace?  ?

Advert

The BMFA upload details to the CAA which issues the Operator ID.  There will inevitably be a delay between you paying on the BMFA site and receiving your new number.

This year was always going to throw up delays due to the CAA systems being implemented late but renewals should run far more smoothly next year when Op numbers should remain the same.  It's probably a lot easier to renew through your club if you're in one when the BMFA renewals are processed in December/January.

53 minutes ago, Andy C said:

Is anyone else still confused about the CAA registration?

Mine expired today, so I have just logged into BMFA and to renew.  No mention of renewal anywhere, just "CAA registration" available to add to cart which I did.  No mention either of my existing ID number anywhere.  Anyway, paid the £9 and then my registration appeared under "Membership"  But, expiry date is showing as 31/01/2022.  And operator ID is same as last year despite me thinking it would change.

Then I get an email saying that if I originally arranged my membership direct with CAA or with another organisation I now have to fill in another BMFA form.

I thought keeping it all in one place would make it simpler, but I am not so sure anymore!  Was the system supplied to CAA by the same group who did the COVID track and trace?  ?

Hi Andy

Your registration renewal will be submitted overnight and you should wake up to a shiny new and longer Operator ID in the morning in an email from the CAA, then shortly after you will receive one from the BMFA when your record has been updated.  As you did it through the BMFA last year your old OP id is on record so you don't need to complete any further forms.

8 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I'm not sure why people seem to find this such an issue. A small (30mm long) printed label that I can pull off if ever necessary will do me.

In general I agree, though the (IMO legally questionable) requirement to carry the number on camera carrying UAS below 250g is a royal pain. I am still not sure how I label my tiny whoops with a 19 digit number tbh; I think they will have to go on the batteries, that is the only area big enough!

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

I got my second reminder from the CAA on Saturday morning , basically saying  tomorrow Sunday 21st, if you fly it will be illegal !!

I looked at my BMFA profile and it said I was registered with the CAA ! Paid with this years BMFA membership,  I  emailed the BMFA, on Saturday , and got a reply from Andy Symonds who was working !!! sorting out the backlog for us at a weekend !!

and Sunday midday  I got my ID from the CAA ,!!

Coincidence or not My THANKS to the BMFA !

Now all I need is the end of the lock down !! 

Cheers

• Like 1