Website looking a bit tired?

Oops

6 minutes ago, Phil McCavity said:

Because the bar is set for the arena of the particular competition, so raising that bar would mean contributing elsewhere to make others more competitive.

Are we talking Limbo Flying, or horse jumping ?

:classic_biggrin:

The new format takes a bit of getting used to..................but so does a new washing machine or TV!.

I find it easy to use, and have had a LOT of help not just in the current format, but over many years.

Long may it continue and prosper.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SIMON CRAGG said:

The new format takes a bit of getting used to..................but so does a new washing machine or TV!.

I find it easy to use, and have had a LOT of help not just in the current format, but over many years.

Long may it continue and prosper.

The OP came into it as the new site without using the old one so the new format is not new to them, it's all they know. The comments in the past (and in this thread) have been from users who used the old format, all comparing the new with the old so it's interesting and valid to read an opinion through fresh eyes.

2 hours ago, Phil McCavity said:

The OP came into it as the new site without using the old one so the new format is not new to them, it's all they know. The comments in the past (and in this thread) have been from users who used the old format, all comparing the new with the old so it's interesting and valid to read an opinion through fresh eyes.

AFAICS the OP joined the forum in 2013 with around 150 posts made before starting this one, therefore does have experience of the old format. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PatMc said:

AFAICS the OP joined the forum in 2013 with around 150 posts made before starting this one, therefore does have experience of the old format. 

Fair enough, I didn't check but they still have some valid points with areas of the site that haven't been updated since they joined 7 years ago.

20 hours ago, Phil McCavity said:

I'm pretty sure that what Cassandra meant by a low bar is that there are now virtually no UK forums left and that the ones remaining are very poorly attended.

Agreed on that. The reality is that for better or for worse social media has taken a huge % of the posts that used to appear on forums. That is not going to change now, though it is somewhat frustrating to me as a) finding historic content within a FB group or other social platform is definitely harder than on a forum, and b) the standard of contributions on those groups is often, well... lets be nice and call it a less well informed standard! 

On 15/05/2021 at 18:24, kevin b said:

On 15/05/2021 at 19:23, Phil McCavity said:

Oh dear, what will that pompous ass PDR do with his time now he hasn't got his acolytes hanging on every word he posts?

The OP wasn't criticising the forum, he was giving his opinion on the website in general and as a first time poster with a fresh view on it all I think it's hard to disagree with the points he's raised. It may be that the focus is mainly on the forum now at the expense of other content or that MTM has just dropped the ball on the rest of it?

I think the reasons for the demise of  RCMF and the barely alive Flying Sites was the attitude shown above. They get personal and people stop visiting.

RCMF was always a sideline for the guy who ran / owned/funded it and it was once the biggest Forum for RC flying. To show the loyalty of its members many - including Moi - donated hard cash to keep it going and I am sorry its gone.

This site's biggest plus point is the magazine RCM&E, The mag and website support each other and do it well, the previous site was clunky and this one is not slick but is a big improvement.

Re classifieds, there are many places to advertise modeling goods.

RE PDR - He is opinionated but is also very helpful, very clever and witty - but pompous? I think some of his comments were / are cutting but only to those who left themselves open to them. 

Just my .02p worth

Edited by FlyinBrian
  • Like 4

I too was an enthusiastic member of RCMF.  I attended a few fly ins and enjoyed the Forum itself (and actually met Flying Brian few times :))   Some of my model bear RCMF stickers ?

As for PDR, I agree completely with Brian.  He is very experienced and knowledgable and always worth reading.  One of my greatest achievements was successfully winning an argument about closed loop geometry with him - just shows how meagre my successes are ?.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

I too was an enthusiastic member of RCMF.  I attended a few fly ins and enjoyed the Forum itself (and actually met Flying Brian few times :))   Some of my model bear RCMF stickers ?

As for PDR, I agree completely with Brian.  He is very experienced and knowledgable and always worth reading.  One of my greatest achievements was successfully winning an argument about closed loop geometry with him - just shows how meagre my successes are ?.

Ah yes the RCMF Fly ins - fantastic, superb flying by day - utter chaos and downright fun in the evenings, (Mind the ditches in the dark) - Remember the "Ring of Fire" barbeques!

A Fly in at Old Warden shared with a dog show which came to a total standstill when Ali took his Hawk off and did a superb display, all the dogs were quiet, even the xxxxxxx female ones

Winterton also holds great fondness, fantastic fly ins if you avoided the rape fields, several models disappeared forever (well at least til harvest time) with several good take aways and fish n chip shops in the village. 

I guess thats enough of praising other sites

long live Model Flying & RCM&E

Edited by FlyinBrian

I've met up with PDR a few times, he is a very helpful chap & generous both with his time & knowledge and has helped some people out by donating equipment to them. I agree that he could come across as a bit of a know-it-all, but in truth, he does know a heck of lot more about this flying game than most of us do. In person, he is a very decent fellow.

• Like 1

PDR.....Yes he is knowledgable but his manner in passing it on was awful, it was on the verge of demeaning that someone could possibly ask such ridiculously easy questions, he would even get irritated if the poster didn't get it straight away. He didn't miss an opportunity to tell you of the multiple Degrees he held, how he was revered in his field and how he couldn't help, nor made any attempt to play it down that people saw him as a God. He was guilty of getting personal himself with his unbound sarcasm and I witnessed on many an occasion him gleefully put down other members. He hated being challenged, turning on the "offender" and leading a pile on from his disciples that would escape any action by the admin team. I mentioned earlier of the endless times I heard his name mentioned as a reason for never returning to the site. Pompous and narcissistic describes him perfectly, his avatar and signature confirmed that.

Private forums are almost always a sideline for the originator so Greg and Nigel were not unique there, they do it for the love not the financial reward. I also contributed financially but the technical issues always plagued the site, moderation was poor and the layout was drab and uninspiring, there was more tumbleweed than posts most of the time because of the exodus of members . Even the admin team abandoned it in it's final year. That's why it died.

Just my tuppence worth also......

Edited by Phil McCavity
  • Like 1

Really so depressing reading that it makes you wonder if it really is worth continuing, writing / reading / living.

Then again on a more upbeat note, this forum isn't RCMF or Flying Sites and this isn't about them either so tosh to that. There are areas of the overall 'site that could do with some more recent information but the forum is alive and well (apart from this thread 'The gravedigger's lament') and provides a useful feed of information on a diverse range of model making / flying, even if in some people's eyes the height of the bar is below ground level.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 5

Hey, I like this forum, read posts very day, its a part of my life (and a very useful source of information).

So don't knock it.

I was curious at first but now wont be reading anymore posts on this thread. I think it is time to lock it. Just my opinion, but I believe in free speech so feel free to disagree?

• Like 3