os.35max two stroke

philip pember

Advert

I would say a 12 x 6 would be too much, I am currently running a OS40 FSR on an 11 x 6 and a 12 x 6 would be too much for that. But you don't need speed on a Super 60, so a 12 x 5 or 11 x 5 would be a better fit, my Super 60 in it's time flew on a OS40 FS, PAW 35 and an Irvine 25.

Which OS 35 Max is it?, you can find a selection of engine tests here

Edited by Frank Skilbeck
  • Like 1

That chart seems to lean a bit on the small side. I used to use 10x6 props on my ASP 36, OS 30/35fp etc and they were just fine. Its not a bad base guide but certainly not set in stone. 

In the specific case of the OP i would be leaning towards 11 or 12x5 as Frank suggests. A great deal depends on the engine in question. 

• Like 1

I used to generally use a Graupner grey 12x6 on an (pre-schnuerle) OS 25 Max powering a Junior 60. Later when an OS LA 25 was fitted I found it best to use a much smaller prop - IIRC 10x6.

Bottom line - IMO if the Max 35 is a pre-schnuerle ported engine the 12x6 should be fine.    

• Like 1

Just now, PatMc said:

Nigel a 4" pitch will tend to run out of thrust as the model reaches flying speed whereas, although turning at lower rpm with 6" pitch, the prop is more likely to maintain a decent margin of thrust. 

Depends on the flying speed and engine rpm I flew a pilot twin ace on a pair of 25fp 2 strokes throwing 10x4 props and it wasnt slow. They did rev though, sounded great ? 

3 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

That chart seems to lean a bit on the small side. I used to use 10x6 props on my ASP 36, OS 30/35fp etc and they were just fine. Its not a bad base guide but certainly not set in stone. 

In the specific case of the OP i would be leaning towards 11 or 12x5 as Frank suggests. A great deal depends on the engine in question. 

it is a os 35 fp and will start with 10x6 and have 11x5 handy. thanks for the info lads.

Have permission to post images of the card.

1.  The propeller selector, upper part is 35 mHz radio channel numbers. Above that is a CC to cubic inch conversion scale.

20210518_143523570_iOS.thumb.jpg.e4c8162cc81610e4686f8446b42dd847.jpg

2. Don't leave home without....! I use the 'Notes' gadget on an iPhone to make sure I have everything (one glider flying session I left the tailplanes at home and at one comp I left a transmitter at home).

20210518_143533910_iOS.thumb.jpg.d5d9d73cdef94de5380af2e125e5bd48.jpg

3. Pre-flight checks.

20210518_143537706_iOS.thumb.jpg.7363d6bbfc881ff64dd26b5fe1dea264.jpg

If its anything like my old J60 then a 12 x 4 will be fine. They are not meant to tear around the sky and most flying will probably be done at less than full throttle.

My old 60 flew on a clapped out OS max 25 with I think from memory a 10 x 4 prop . It was a long time ago. 

• Like 1

Many years ago, I used to fly a Super 60 on six channel reeds with a Merco 35. I used an 11x6 prop, which the Merco swung just fine. This is a slow, draggy model, so you don't want the engine screaming. Diameter is everything here! I would go for an 11x6, and if the engine struggles, reduce the pitch, NOT the diameter.

--

Pete

• Like 1