Fuel tube bender

Nigel R

Not quite on topic but worth a mention as making new fuel tubes can be time consuming. Beware of using brass for fuel tubing if you use fuel with higher nitromethane content. The nitromethane will  disolve the copper content of the brass over time leaving a brittle porous zinc shell. This tends to occur when model is stored stored and will show first where the tubing enters the rubber bung in the tank. Using aluminium tubing will prevent this. Another sign is that any dregs of fuel left in the rank tur a green colour ( dissolved copper).

I have stopped using the brass tubing on glow models and instead make all tubes up from soft Ali tubing. Bending is easy with a length of nylon inner snake inserted in the tube to keep its shape but the bender pictured looks like a good investment.

Edited by Engine Doctor

I managed to make some bends in tube using the tool and my hands. I can't say it made a great job of it, so I must be doing something wrong. And I still don't understand why it has two formers and one retainer and no moving parts.

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/06/2021 at 23:07, Stuphedd said:

Like the doctor said  beware of embrittlement on brass tube , so what do I use ???  nylon tube ! easily bent with a little heat never rots or corrodes is very very cheap and lasts for ever ,

cheers

dragging the thread up again... how do you bend the nylon?

flexible tube down the middle, hold in position, then, what, 5 minutes in boiling water?

I started using nylon tube for fuel tanks when I played with 1/2A pylon racers , Cox 051TDs  , The aircraft are tiny hence space is limited tanks are small and the fuel pipes have very "sharp" curves and I found that nylon was the only material I found that did not Kink as easily as metal tubes .Using bowden as an inner for ally tubes  with tight curves does not work as you cannot pull it out !!

cheers