My Citroen Berlingo buying saga continues

Steve Colman

1 hour ago, Denis Watkins said:

Steve, just get your van now, while you can enjoy it.

We have no clue what is around the next corner, so enjoy it today, now.

well said Denis,and so true..............best bit of advice so-far by a mile.

ken anderson...ne..1..........around the corner dept.

Advert

1 hour ago, IDD15 said:

Funny things cars. We had a Picasso for 13 yrs and the only thing that went wrong was a rear door lock! Best family car ever in our experience! ?

If you want to know what’s reliable just look at what the local taxi drivers are running. Which in our part of the world appears to be Toyota…

idd

I've had a few picasso's and cant fault them....anyone interested, download one of the free app's for your phone and if you see a car been used as a taxi, enter its number, it'll give you its mileage and mot details ..... you may get a surprise or two as re...how many miles they have on the clocks,i'm talking about 100K+

ken anderson...ne..1........ 100K plus dept.

Thanks again guys for all your comments and opinions. It's been very interesting and helpful hearing what everyone has said.

So, now I'll put the subject to rest and take heed of the latest advice from Dennis, supported by Ken.

And, as soon as I have driven the petrol model I'll be able to put the debate of petrol v diesel to bed and get on and buy my new Multi Purpose Vehicle and enjoy it.

Thanks and happy flying.

Steve.

• Like 2

Rich, there is a difference between lazy, disinterested, dealers and storekeepers, and the make. Why is it available in one bit of Europe, and not in another.

I got the same tale about roof bars on a Volkswagen. They appeared when I got the home telephone number of the boss. At 2100 hrs, when he finally answered.

If the UK main spares hub for a manufacturer does not hold stock, photo hen go up to he tree 

If the European spares hub doesn't hold the stock then what do you do 

The manufacturer of the part says what they said th n your stumped.

The drive sprocket wheel was great information on eBay advertised by a private seller as far as we know.

It came in its original box with Citroen stickers etc ..

Will try and post a pictutr later .

Dayco who made the harmonic balancer said part not available and was not even supplied to citroen in the first place.

VDO was similar...

Citroen brand these days seem to be poor...

Too much creative technology perhaps.

A great pity as they used to be good.

i d   and ds  of the fifties and sixties were fantastic !

23 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

But turned out to be rot boxes... just like everything else .

The VW Golf was the same and I was always amused by the main agent being call Rustys especially when an old example still had the Rustys sticker on the back.?

This is going off topic now and Steve has made his decision.

It seems I did not keep the box the Citroen part came in.

It was an eBay purchase from a country that calls Britain as didzioji britanija.

The bonding of the damper had given up on the pressed on metal ring, a dayco part.

My opinion and experience of modern Citroens is immaterial.

If the chap wants a Berlingo, let's hope he gets a good one.

IMG_20210704_102423_1CS.jpg

IMG_20210704_102502_1CS.jpg

If he gets a diesel one just check crank vibration damper aux drive pulley .

Noisey aux drive belt ?

Humble apologies for the wth comment , I consider myself told off but how do you turn off the predictive text ?

Edited by Rich Griff

For me/us, a Berlingo size van would be too small, so normal transit size van would suit us fine, able to sleep in the back, a cargo carrier and it would fit under the car port for maintenance etc..

I think you are based outside UK ?

In these covid times I suppose you have to "buy local". I have no idea of your price range or actual needs and an EV is impractical for you ( as it would be for many in the UK, the infrastructure is just not there, yet ).

See what's about locally, but for me it would not be a Citroen, not a modern ECU one at least.

Transit, the smaller type suitable for you ?

43 minutes ago, Bob Cotsford said:

Ford Torneo/Grand Torneo/S max/Galaxy?

The Torneo is very nice but too expensive for me over here. The Grand Torneo is too big. I've considered the S Max and the Galaxy but they're not what I want. Sliding rear doors are a big plus for me as the home parking situation is very restricted.  

1 hour ago, Rich Griff said:

For me/us, a Berlingo size van would be too small, so normal transit size van would suit us fine, able to sleep in the back, a cargo carrier and it would fit under the car port for maintenance etc..

I think you are based outside UK ?

In these covid times I suppose you have to "buy local". I have no idea of your price range or actual needs and an EV is impractical for you ( as it would be for many in the UK, the infrastructure is just not there, yet ).

See what's about locally, but for me it would not be a Citroen, not a modern ECU one at least.

Transit, the smaller type suitable for you ?

Rich, yes I'm outside the UK, Spain. And yes too re an EV being both way out of my price range and inpractical . I have to park in a communal underground car park hence no home charging. And, there are only two public charging points within a radius of 15km.

A Berlingo is the ideal size for my needs and still big enough to overnight in if and when required. My shortlist also consists of the Ford Torneo, VW Caddy, Renault Kangoo, and Fiat Doblo. Both the Torneo and Caddy are too expensive for a decent one and have been crossed off. I have test driven a diesel Berlingo, a Fiat Doblo and it's Opel clone. The Berlingo drives more like a car, is quieter than the Fiat/Opel and has better performance and specs overall.

A small transit type is just that little bit too big given my parking situation.

If the berlingo is the right size and price, research for common faults on the internet for the model and engine fitted...

Price stuff up like cam belt kit etc. Etc. Etc....and go from there.

Does Spain have mot tests etc..

A solar farm on your building roof would be great but society does not think in that way, Spain is a sunny country....

Edited by Rich Griff

43 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

If the berlingo is the right size and price, research for common faults on the internet for the model and engine fitted...

Price stuff up like cam belt kit etc. Etc. Etc....and go from there.

Does Spain have mot tests etc..

A solar farm on your building roof would be great but society does not think in that way, Spain is a sunny country....

The main problem with the Berlingo is the lack of service history, especially concerning regular oil changes, cam belt changes and water pump replacement. This little lot alone would be in the region of 500 to 700 euros. Then there may be other problems such as replacing the DPF which is another expensive job I believe, plus any minor issues that might show up. The dealer will accept a lower offer but if he had confidence in the car he would get it fully checked out and serviced himself prior to selling. If he were to do this and all proved OK I would buy it because in all other respects it's pristine.

Yes, MoT tests here after 4 years, done by independent state run centres so no garage finding non existent faults to rip you off. This means relatively low mileage cars from 2017 readily available but at very high prices. At the other end of the spectrum cars with 150,000 km plus but still with prices perhaps double of what you'd find in the UK.

I've often wondered why Spanish housing complexes are not built with solar panels as standard, it seems such a no brainer to me. But, like so many other things, much comes down to politics and policies that support companies retro fitting solar panels having close contacts with local/regional/national officialdom. While Spain has improved in many ways over the years, backhanders in brown envelopes, at all levels, is still not uncommon. Allegedly!

Another thing I noticed when I first moved here, given the generally low rainfall, was a total lack of rain water collection via guttering and water butts for example. However, even despite that we have never had to endure any water restrictions which are still common in certain parts of the UK during the summer months.   

Edited by Steve Colman

2 hours ago, Ace said:

Sorry if I missed it earlier but how about a Skoda Yeti petrol/diesel? 

I considered the Yeti but the boot length, even with the rear seats removed, was not sufficient for my needs. Also has a big lip to overcome when rear hatch is raised and doesn't have sliding rear doors.