Futaba 148 Servos

Tosh McCaber

I have a good few Futaba 148 servos, from days of yore, which I used on most of my models.  Never had any problems with them.  I came back into flying, after a 20 year break, a couple of years ago.  I'm now on Spektrum tranny, various manufacturers' receivers, and a variety of modern servos.

However, apart from being larger and slightly heavier than the recent crop of modern servos, can anyone give me advice as to how the 148s would compare with today's servos, when being used on medium sized aerobatic aircraft?  I would look forward not to wasting them!!

Thanks for the positive replies, guys.  Another couple of questions.  

Amongst my regular FP-S148s, in the same shell, I have a Futaba HS-422CW, with,  designated on the label, "Oilite Bearing".  Has anyone any further info on this one?  Apart from the label, it's identical to the 148s.

As well, I have a Futaba FP-S128.  Presumably an earlier version of the 148?

A couple of things- 

Thanks Alan- Apologies- I've just looked again at the HS-422- It is indeed a Hitec servo.  The servo size and gold logos on the labelling of the servo are almost identical to the Futaba 148s- I just didn't notice the "Hitec" part!!!   

Secondly, to answer my own question, I've found the instruction leaflet that came with the Futaba 128.  It is a "small rugged landing gear servo", with a 3.7 kg-cm torque, as opposed to the 148, which has 2.4kg-cm.

Or if you want to experience the slow movement of early proportional radio try some FD16's. Move the stick quickly from one side to the other and it will be some time before the servo arm catches up. ?  I have a couple and they still work. [ not in an aircraft ].

IIRC the FD16 (and FD17) were for early systems with split supplies, +2.4v centre tap -2.4v, and had 4 wires on the plug. If you want slow servos you need to try the even earlier Futaba linear servos supplied for use with the DigiMax systems, they had 5 wires.

• Like 1