Four engine flyer suggestions

cymaz

I’ve just lost my 4 engine scratch built model due to a stalled aileron servo. The hard cartwheel redesigned it beyond repair?..

It was 10kg auw, had 4x OS 40 la engines, a span of 8’.

Is there anything out there that might serve as a replacement? A Stirling or Lancaster maybe? 

Has someone got an airframe ?

If not then I’ll keep the engines, nose gear etc for another day.

Picture from happier times

3EAE08EA-E204-4EDA-995E-DE12C4A83197.jpeg

• Like 1

Advert

I have not ever fancied a twin myself bur four engines is another matter. On a twin loose an engine and power is down 50% and you have 100% asymmetric thrust, with 4 only 25% power loss and 50% ish asymmetric depending  which motor out.

When the BoB Lancaster had an engine fire a few years ago it posed a problem but no where in the league of the same issue in a single engine fighter.

4 engine job on my to do list.

I’ve had an engine go out on the four engine...I knew it was flying slower but didn’t see the engine out until it landed. The four engine had some out thrust on all engines. Seemed to work ok.

VQ Models have a Liberator but I’ve not seen it up close.

• Like 1

I built the TN 134" quite a few years ago with two OS 52s and two 26s. Should have used four 52s because by model standards it was under powered, but the only tanks I could squeeze in were two 8oz and two 6oz. I stupidly attempted to fly it at the club scale day (it had been successfully flown previously a few times) but the conditions were not ideal and it headed for a tree. Automatically applying aileron was a mistake, I should have used rudder. End of model. I still have the plans which you are welcome to if you pm me.

I now have an o/d 81" one which is electric on 28/30 800kv motors. You may remember it being shot down at Greenacres but was repaired. I had a weak HK 3 blade prop break in the air but was able to land on three. It now has APC 10x7 two bladers and they all now rotate the same way with no ill effects.

On 06/05/2022 at 16:57, cymaz said:

I’ve had an engine go out on the four engine...I knew it was flying slower but didn’t see the engine out until it landed. The four engine had some out thrust on all engines. Seemed to work ok.

VQ Models have a Liberator but I’ve not seen it up close.

Experience of VQ models is they are heavy. I was given a  VQ Dauntless dive bomber some time ago , 60 in span ish . It was well heavy without the 5 s battery brick needed for the power. Never bothered to fly it as too many planes so sold it on.

I have flown the smaller TN Lancaster and that was a delight to fly but was electric powered. 

• 4 weeks later...

Well you’ll be happy that Brian and  I will be building the Nijhuis 134” Lancaster ?

It will have the 4x 40la engines from the other airframe. Futaba driven on 18mz via R7014sb. Each engine will have its own channel, separate channels for each of the flying surfaces and of course retracts and lights.... will start a new thread. Any takers??

• Like 3