A Tale Of Three Blokes Returning To The Hobby

David Davis

Three blokes have recently joined our club here in central France having given up the hobby over thirty years ago. Two of them built the iconic French trainer, the Baron 1914, and one of them backed up his learning programme by assembling an ARTF trainer powered by an OS 46. They both bought middle of the road Futaba radios.

The third bloke, the baker in the next village, bought a 16 channel Futaba transmitter and a large ARTF model with enormous control surfaces, powered by a 60cc two stroke engine, claiming that he used to fly similar models years ago! A smoke system seemed to be part of the package because I saw that there were two tanks in the model. He spent a fortnight running in the engine then gave the model to our club president, Roger Aubard, who had competed in the French Nats, for the maiden flight. The model took off, Roger trimmed it out, said that the ailerons were very sensitive and started a landing approach. The model was extremely light and floated on for almost the length of our runway. Roger must have thought that he could land it at the end of the strip but when he did, the undercarriage ripped out. The structure was revealed: cabon fibre rods and thin plywood. We all said that it was repairable but the landing gear would need strengthening. A few weeks later he arrived at the with another version of the same kit claiming that he hadn't the time to repair it. He started the engine but did not fly it. Word is that he's scared to fly it. Roger refuses to fly it. Yesterday I offered to give him a flight on the buddy box with the club's 46 powered Boomerang but he said that he was too tired.

Now let's see: two ARTF kits, allow £1200, 60cc petrol engine £500, transmitter combo £635 I make that at least £2235 at Steve Webb prices. I am not sure whether the servos came with the kit or not.

Go figure.

The other two are progressing nicely. One is finishing off a Blackburn Monoplane and the other is flying a small Hawker Typhoon.

• Sad 1

Advert

43 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Doh! 🤦‍♂️

Other types of bread based puns are available but I'd be barmy to waffle on. Some of the puns are good, some are crepe, but I can't lye, I don't want to put a damper on it by going too farl, that would be a pita so I'll give you a pizza advice before I absconed with a rye smile, although some of the words aren't spelt correctly and I shouldn't tortilla you further as puns are best served in single bites rather than as a whole meal.
The advice is to close the bread thread🤣 with a toast. I don't often give advice so this is a rarebit!

Edited by Shaun Walsh
Additional pun
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2