Workbench

Frank Skilbeck

Hight is important. Do you want to work sat down, or stood up ?

If stood up, how tall are you ? You don't want to be bending over for hours whilst building your next masterpiece.

I find that a standard kitchen unit is just the right hight for me, but 900mm wide would certainly require me to walk around it to work comfortably.

So I use a 600mm wide unit that is against the wall. My building board is an old (large) architect's drawing board, which I can move around if I need to.

Using an (old?) kitchen unit as a base would give useful storage.   Maybe Frank is thinking of buying or making a proper carpenters bench and I reckon the flush mounted carpenters vice usually built into such benches is extremely handy for an aeromodellers bench.   All sorts of gadgets can be instantly fixed or removed from the bench if they have a chunky wood block attached to be gripped in the vice.  A cradle for a fuselage, or a mechanics vice or a bench hook or a Vee for fretsaw work etc etc  can all be fitted into the vice and as it is flush it does not intrude on the work surface.   Invaluable item.

However the simplest cheapest and most versatile bench could be a wood top fitted with a batten underneath to clamp into a Workmate jaws.   Then you can have a few different tops like a 6ft top or a smaller formica faced top for mucky jobs or a wing jig etc all to be fitted as needed.   A shelf under the Workmate can take a heavy toolbox for stability if desired.   All for low cost and easily moved or  packed away if required.  The Workmate can also be used indoors in the winter and then taken out into the garage etc for model assembly when climate allows.   Simple and works well.    And of course all the items above like mechanics vice, fretsaw Vee etc can all be fitted instead of the worktop into the jaws when required 

The clones of the B & D Workmate have some advantages to the genuine thing and some seem better for our purpose and are cheaper.     Workmates of all types seem to sell S/H on Ebay for very low prices so it's worth looking.   

Whatever your bench I suggest fititng a few M6 inserts into the top ( preferably from the underside ) so any sort of gadget or item can be fitted and removed easily.   They screw in using an allen key.

In the same way I suggest a few hatch type magnets be inserted flush with the surface so plans can be held down with a steel rule ( not the non magnetic stainless type!) so they don't curl up.   Easier than drawing pins.

• Like 1

Yep, I'm looking at a woodworking type bench, I currently use on old worktop (with a sundela top) resting on some old chests of drawers against the garage wall, but now I've formally retired decided to use the garage (double) as a workshop so going to treat myself to proper workbench with a double shelf so I can use it to store wood underneath. This would give me effectively two workbenches my old one which I could still use for plan building and new more room one for model covering, fit out and the occasional repair 😙

My daughter was one of the last  to use real  drawing at uni for her industrial design course , computers were in use but  a bit experimental. We bought her a heavy second hand table with one of the adjustable drawing boards  complete with T square.  She moved flats three times and I had to dismantle and re-assemble each time!

When she finished  I took the drawing board off and put  planks on to give a tool well , also a vice. The beauty of it is that it has a six foot wide drawer under the top  for plans  and  three good drawers   on the right for tools.

Perhaps you could still source one online  but they obviously went  with architects etc. using them

Edited by john davidson 1

If you want a proper carpenters bench then Axminster Power tools seems a good place to look.    

Ebay has loads of adverts for new benches, some made with metal frames but having seen how thin the metal that is used for racking I would suggest checking the gauge of metal when comparing.   Of course as aeromodellers we know that adding a couple of diagonals can make a big difference so that could well be added to any lightweight bench.

Frank wants a freestanding bench but for anyone else somewhere online in the woodworking stuff there is a Record design for a fold up bench attached to a garage wall that might be handy and there is also a sort of 'gateleg table' design with a narrow bench that extends to much wider.   All worth considering if short of space, but I still rate the Workmate with interchangeable tops as the best compromise.

16 hours ago, john davidson 1 said:

My daughter was one of the last  to use real  drawing at uni for her industrial design course , computers were in use but  a bit experimental. We bought her a heavy second hand table with one of the adjustable drawing boards  complete with T square.  She moved flats three times and I had to dismantle and re-assemble each time!

When she finished  I took the drawing board off and put  planks on to give a tool well , also a vice. The beauty of it is that it has a six foot wide drawer under the top  for plans  and  three good drawers   on the right for tools.

Perhaps you could still source one online  but they obviously went  with architects etc. using them

Good idea John, but the prices they bring make your eyes water !