Seagull Seafire artf

SiBee

The thread on the main needle is the same as my Novarossi and super Tigre, so if anyone is short of a main saito needle,,,

I ran it up after all was adjusted, on crap 10% fuel and a really dirty old saito plug, no exhaust just the tube piece supplied with the engine, I will sort the silencer out tomorrow with any luck,  I got 2.000 rpm on the idle and 9.700 rpm on a Graupner ( old grey one ) 13.5 x 8 hell does this motor 'thump' and vibrate.

I can't say too much about other peoples under carriage fairings as I did not bother to put them on my Spitfire, I probably will when the grass gets cut next year.

I had a Saito 125 in a CML 109 despite a balanced prop it was very prone to vibration, during one flight the motor cut and on landing the rear exhaust cap had come off.

It would not run with no exhaust  pressure, it vibrated an aileron off which had been fitted as per instructions then when refitted it was also pinned and it almost vibrated that one off snapping one hinge and another was half through. changed to a petrol engine and it was ok.

23 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

The thread on the main needle is the same as my Novarossi and super Tigre, so if anyone is short of a main saito needle,,,

I ran it up after all was adjusted, on crap 10% fuel and a really dirty old saito plug, no exhaust just the tube piece supplied with the engine, I will sort the silencer out tomorrow with any luck,  I got 2.000 rpm on the idle and 9.700 rpm on a Graupner ( old grey one ) 13.5 x 8 hell does this motor 'thump' and vibrate.

I have got a 12x1.0 tap and a die to suit the Saito 100 exhaust thread if you need them Paul. Also an "anti-vibration" engine mount if you want to try it. Think its a Weston-made one.

Edited by David Ovenden

In french 'fiabilisé',,,( making it reliable in English )

carb was blocked, main needle valve thread bent, no spring throttle needle stop, exhaust pushrod stuck between the rocker and head so not doing it's job and a cross threaded exhaust header,,,

I will make another one tomorrow the last one was male / male, and now another but one male/ / female.

A small fuel tank problem, n/v = needle valve height , ply = is the bottom of the engine mounting 'box', I have a smaller tank so I will be cutting out the ply bottom and some of the main firewall and also the wing, engine mounting 'sidewinder' is too much of a hassle and also nothing lines up with a big lump of metal hanging out of the cowling is not a solution.

tank-2048.jpg

sidewinder-2048.jpg

cutout-2048.jpg

• Like 1

Not rocket science, but a new rubber stopper ( the same size as Kavan tanks ) new tubes with the ends rounded off so not to split the silicone tubing later on and a roughing up so that they don't slide off, I use a torch to see through the tank to make sure that the tubes are in place and shorten the clunk so that it wont foul the end of the tank, and with a felt tip mark the outlets.

fuel tank.jpg

37 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

No ventilation so out came the chain saw, and a filler tube for the tank.🤒

With any luck no one but me on the model field will see this gaping hole.

big hole.jpg

Is the cowl designed for a bit of motor off set? 

If you don't want to see the hole... guess it will have to be low inverted passes 🤣 Alternative is paint the engine bay a dark colour.

I don't know the British term ( french "mise en croix" ) so the wing and tailplane was lined up and the wing is 5mm out of square !, so I will adjust the holes later and put a piece of tubing in the bolt holes to keep it in line, the tail went really well no adjusting was necessary so a few drops of 30min epoxy to keep it there.

seaffff.jpg

The Fin is how glued in place with the hinged rudder and all the tail clevis's are epoxied onto the 2mm carbon rods to keep the

tail light, I cut the engine cowl out to fit over the wing and roughly threw the plane together with engine, prop, cone , servos and retracts, it needs at the moment around 200 grams in the nose.🤐

A bit unorthodox my elevator command all glued up with 30 minute epoxy, the one on the left is the rudder, an aluminium 'sleeve' glueing

up the short bit of carbon rod, light weight and everything is ajustable.

The carbon 'plate' is level although it doesn't look that way in the picture.

The second picture is how i did my Twin Saito .45 powered Beaufighter elevator, still going strong.

commandes.jpg

elevator comannd finished 2-2048.jpg