Just engines Knukle manifold

Vintage

I have used/worked on many engines both model and full size and have never seen anything like the knuckle manifold on anything. It is just a bad idea expecting high speed exhaust gas to change direction as suddenly as that.  A steady curve is best as seen in many systems. Can't help but think a bend like the knuckle has will result in greater friction/heat. May well work but do nothing for the performance.

• Like 1

I wouldn't expect to find the engine overheat because of the 90deg knuckle although they cannot help performance. Is the engine inside a cowl? I would try a baffle to make sure cold air is forced over the engine cylinder fins.

OS make a couple of exhaust extensions that are a nice smooth curve. Would one of those fit? Might free up a few rpm.

I don't have the Just Engines knuckle, but I have several Saito engines using 90 degree "elbow" manifolds. Some with the standard muffler and some with flex extensions plus muffler. Most are enclosed in cowlings. None of them have overheating problems. 

Is your engine really overheating? 4 stroke exhausts always do get pretty hot . Can you try your engine without the knuckle  to see if there is actualy a temp difference compared to when it's fitted?

I have used the knuckle and not had a problem, as the gas is forced out it has to bypass a valve which must be a similar restriction but being under pressure it has no choice but find a way out. However good gas flow will always be better but for the normal everyday use it won't make that much difference.