AliExpress Landing Gear

Tosh McCaber

I've been looking through the AliExpress site to buy a set of tricycle retracts for a 48" pattern model I'm about to build. 

On examining the website, in which there are many pages, I'm finding the prices quoted for the tricycle  retracts pitched from a ridiculously low £5.48 (free return!?) through £7.01, £7.56, and so on, up to £52.80 and higher.  All the illustrations look very similar!

I wondered what experience Forumers have had with AliExpress?  I believe that AE act on behalf of a host of different Chinese suppliers.  Based on anyone's experience, can these low priced AliExpress suppliers be trusted? 

Advert

Hi Tosh,

Be careful of the low priced parts. I ordered some retracts and got just the mounting plates! I was about to get righteous with AliExpress, but when I re-read the listing it did say what they were, but it certainly wasn't obvious.

I'd check and double check, and if it looks too good to be true, well, you know the rest!

BTW, I have some mounting plates if you need them...

Graham

I recently purchased a set of two retracts for a VQ FW190 from Ali Express for £22.00 inc postage.

They arrived in ten days, and were perfect.

Great telescopic action, axles and fittings,

I have used AE a lot and never had a problem.

As others have said, there is a lot to wade through and the items have to be studied carefully.

Buyer beware as always.

Good luck!.

As Graham says, it's very common for them to list a number of options, and show the lowest price item first - as a tempter.  Make sure you select the item you actually want, and you'll see the price change...

I've bought quite a lot of things from AE and BG and they've all been OK.

Edited by GrumpyGnome

Dealing with AliExpress can be a total lottery.

Sometimes you will get a  bargain. . . and other times you will be disappointed. 

Delivery times also very.......... a lot. 

They can be anything from really quick, right through to not turning up at all. . 

I have had three orders this year which never materialised. . Getting a refund is fairly straightforward but you have to wait for weeks before being allowed to make a claim. 

Even if the goods actually arrive, adopt a mindset which accepts that you won't be sending anything back.  The process is lengthy and expensive.  Basically it simply isn't worth returning any faulty goods.

We never know what the quality of the goods will be like until they arrive. . . It's a gamble. 

Some you win, some you lose. . See my opening paragraph. 

I’d always been reluctant to use AliExpress given all the poor reviews on websites like Trustpilot. However Ali was the only place I was able to get hold of some particular Corona servos I need for something I’m building (Planeprint Jetwing as you ask!), so I took the plunge, and in fact the servos arrived in less time than stated on the website, and all working perfectly as far as I can tell.

I've used Aliexpress on several occasions and found them to be very good. I've mainly used them for car and tool parts but have made significant saving o errors similar items available in the UK.  Item include updated indicator lights UK price nearly £100 , Aliexpress price Inc Post etc £13 . This is for the same item. You can't always blame the home trader as like our LMS they are crippled with unrealist and often greedy rents , rates and taxes that have to be passed on or go bust. 

Aliexpress often quote a long  delivery time but my experience has been a lot quicker delivery than quoted.  Often there is a small delivery charge added but not excessive. 

I find that unlike Bangood who I won't use anymore as a lot of items they list won't deliver to UK ! Aliexpress items are all available.

Thanks very much for your input guys.

Now, to cut through the fog, I wonder if anyone out there can guide to any of the AliExpress sites where they have bought a (reasonably priced- but not rock bottom!!) set of tricycle retracts for my proposed 48" pattern model- (I would think it will come out to 3-31/2 lb).  I notce that a lot of the retracts come with a 5mm hole for the landing gear, which implies using their own u/c gear, although I've no problem with that, one way or another.

Thanks for any further info!

I've used ALI Express quite a bit in the past for RC bits and bobs. Just make sure you use PAYPAL so if there's an problem you can get your money back while they try to sort it out. Overall, if you read the ads carefully and make sure it's what you want, you can secure some bargains. If it turns out to be not the case you can raise a dispute with PAYPAL and get a refund. Postage seems to be the deal breaker in a lot of cases but you can always search with the "Free UK Postage" box ticked.

I'm sure many Ebay Re-sellers just buy in bulk from Ali Express or the even less regulated AliBaba.com and resell stuff at a profit.  So if you spot something on ALI but you're not sure. Check EBay too.

KB

• 1 month later...