Isn't that "Halifax' actually a Wellington?

Chris Downing

In the December 2020 issue, on page 39, isn't that aircraft captioned an 'HP Halifax' actually a Wellington?

Sure looks like one to me. My Dad flew in Coastal Command Wimpies, so I thought I knew them quite well.

(Great magazine though, as usual; well done,)

Edited by Chris Downing

Yup, Guilty as charged..

It is a Wellington. I thought I had corrected the caption when I submitted the article but clearly it didn't work.  Technology and pensioners eh! 

However the Halifax - Wellington was superbly flown many times on the day; a credit to the builder / pilot and great to watch.

Now I have another plane on my ever growing bucket list. 

Shaun 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alan p said:

I noticed it too, a late friend was a nav on wimpies, thought it might be nit picking to point out the halifax had lost 2 engines.😔. Obviously not proof reading😲

I mentioned it on the December 2022 thread, but I would not call it nit picking as some readers will take it that it is a Halifax. Quite a few of our club members have very little idea on warbird types, when I took my Junkers 88  to the field for the first time not many could identify it, 

I had a few of my scratch build models on Chris Golds column in Quiet and Electric flight and on a couple of occasions they had the wrong caption, it happens.

Shaun, I am in the same category as you pensioner and technology don't always go together. 

4 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Probably another lazy reporter.

Paul rather than criticise reporters, why not have a go yourself at writing an article and get it published; hobby  mags are always wanting new contributors with new ideas.

Typo's are not always caused by the article originator. There's a chain of people involved after an article is submitted and before it hits the press. Occasionally errors happen that aren't picked up. As Eric highlighted from his own experience of having articles published,  infrequently it  occurs (that's the downside of being human). Are you inferring he was a lazy reporter as well? 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 2.4g Shaun said:

Paul rather than criticise reporters, why not have a go yourself at writing an article and get it published; hobby  mags are always wanting new contributors with new ideas.

Typo's are not always caused by the article originator. There's a chain of people involved after an article is submitted and before it hits the press. Occasionally errors happen that aren't picked up. As Eric highlighted from his own experience of having articles published,  infrequently it  occurs (that's the downside of being human). Are you inferring he was a lazy reporter as well? 

Obviously you haven't read the French newspapers, or are you one of their reporters,,,🤒

It's a joke 🥳

Ps, I don't qualify myself as a reporter,,,,,

Edited by Paul De Tourtoulon

16 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Obviously you haven't read the French newspapers, or are you one of their reporters,,,🤒

It's a joke 🥳

Yes, you're absolutely correct, living in England I don't read French newspapers, so whatever their reporter's do (or don't) is totally lost on me.

First rule of comedy though....it's supposed to be funny without explanation. 

D'ailleurs, je ne comprendrais pas ce qu'ils écrivaient..  British ironic humour 😁

• Haha 1