Fake Tower Pro Servos

gangster

Just been trying to sort some 9g servos for an Ohmen.

A few years ago I had the elevator servo on my Dawn Flier. Fortunately it was when doing pre flight check. While investigating smoke rose from the servo. I. Also had a servo that didn’t make it into the model due to not being happy with it’s behaviour. I replaced all the servos from a reputable source. All Tower pro MG90 s. Result years of trouble free flying.  Today I got my box of servos out and looked at my servos.  The Burnt one was long scrapped but the iffy one, cannot remember why I rejected it looked like a clone according to a site on the web. Another two brand new servos were actually digital. MG 90D and instead of being marked Tower Pro were actually torq pro. Identical to the genuine analogue ones.  I can find little references to torq pro except on a Hong Kong site that suggests it’s the same company. Any thoughts on torq pro? We’re they cloned in the same way as tower pro? I have a feeling 5 servos will be binned due to uncertainty 

• 3 weeks later...

The Tower Pro MG90's are so widely copied now it's hard to get decent or real ones. (Avoid ebay sellers)

I tend to buy them 10 at a time and my last batch were awful and this was confirmed by a Youtube channel that I trust, who had a similar experience.

The decent budget servo now seems to be the Racerstar MG90's from banggood, but who knows how long it will be before they are copied too.

I did get some Towerpro MG90D which are the metal gear-digital ones and they were really good, but again they are widely copied and I can't vouch for the next batch.

If you already have some in stock I would give them a thorough test and maybe sacrifice one by dismantling and checking the standard of the internals. You can normally tell the fake ones as they dont centre nicely and they can have a lot of run out on the main shaft. As ever it's buyer beware. I am a sucker for a bargain and I will probably continue to buy cheap 9g servos from China but always give them a good and thorough test before using them. I've had pretty good luck from Banggood but I probably wouldn't buy them from AliExpress where the sellers change their names weekly.

It's easy to dismiss these cheapy servos but I've had good luck with most of them.

KB

Regarding the MG90 servos: 

It is worth researching them on the "net". 

There are fundamental differences between the genuine ones and the fake ones.  There are ways of telling them apart but you definitely need to know what you are looking for. 

There are even fakes of the fakes.... These ones are horrific. 

Buyer beware. 

Came back to RC a couple of years back and purchased some bargain MG90's of Ebay. (6 for £10).  Soon found out that they were not very good.

Yes the majority worked but generally poor centering and the plastic gears broke very easily. I had also bought some with metal gears (6 for £11.66) which don't crumble but again poor centering etc.

I have used some where it doesn't matter but my last purchases have been from 4MAX budget range.

Obviously cost a bit more, work well, with expectations of reasonable quality.

Typically :- https://www.4-max.co.uk/servo-4max-4M-100AMG-022.html

These have gone up in price since I purchased mine but then hasn't everything. 😟

So now no more cheap servos of Ebay.