Multi Electric Engine Throttle Control

chris collis

Advert

I’m now researching to see if the full size Sunderland had all the props rotating the same way and if she maybe tried to crab slightly on the takeoff run with torque?Its highly interesting to see what everyone’s views are and their experiences are on the subject,as I will be a total newbie to this branch of the hobby.So used to chucking a 12ft Lancaster or other Pss model off a good hill, I thought I could try something different.

1 hour ago, chris collis said:

I’m now researching to see if the full size Sunderland had all the props rotating the same way and if she maybe tried to crab slightly on the takeoff run with torque?Its highly interesting to see what everyone’s views are and their experiences are on the subject,as I will be a total newbie to this branch of the hobby.So used to chucking a 12ft Lancaster or other Pss model off a good hill, I thought I could try something different.

Does this answer your first question?

FORMIDABLE FLYING BOAT

2 hours ago, PatMc said:

You may be confusing it with the DH Hornet which did have opposite rotating props, probably with carrier base use in the Pacific theatre in mind. 

Off topic, but worth it!

Electric if there is a prop available the right size then I use one of each. Especially useful with the WooHoo as I want it to diner plate (flat or vertical spin), but it is a plank. As said before if you use the rudder and be gentle with the throttle it should not swing too much especially if you are ready for it. 

All my ic twins rotate in the same direction and again engine/rudder management seems to work just fine. Only time I slammed to WOT one quit and I aborted the take off (just to prove Jon right!).

The important question should be which one rotates in which direction and on which wing? 😉 Mossie, Hornet, P38...all different

PS The WooHoo is set up like the P38, just the WooHoo will recover from a spin!

Edited by Chris Walby

What you have to remember is that models tend to have a much higher thrust to weight ratio than full size, mine certainly do, so whatever torque or airflow problems there are likely to be made worse.

It was exactly the reason the Hornet (1/3 more power & 2/3 the weight) had counter rotating props whereas the Mosquito never did. Taking off an aircraft carrier (Sea Hornet) where the absence of torque coupled with an equal airflow pattern over the fin and tail plane became even more important.

Of course on the Airbus A400 Atlas the props on each wing counter rotate, over the top towards each other!    

21 hours ago, PatMc said:

You may be confusing it with the DH Hornet which did have opposite rotating props, probably with carrier base use in the Pacific theatre in mind. 

A need was seen for a naval Mosquito for the Far east , I think for the bouncing bomb version against ships, the swing on take off was too much for a carrier deck, so a version with counter rotating Merlins was given to Eric Brown for trials. He managed to reduce the landing speed by about 20 knots as I recall and ended up with the plane hanging on the props but still in control. He commented that an engine hiccup  would have been disastrous . Cutting an engine to see at height  made the plane immediately turn on its back ! Landings at increasingly  heavy weights ended with the rear fuselage torn off just ahead of the hook . 

This has been highly informative and of great help with all the recommendations,views and experiences from everyone .It’s helped to point me in the right direction for the time when I finally try it on water.Now I’ve just got the small task of building a Sunderland!You never know,this might lead to building more four engined aircraft in the distant future!possibly a B36?Thanks to everyone for their ideas and suggestions.

18 hours ago, Simon Chaddock said:

Yes to four blade props but the Sea Mosquito never had opposite rotation props. There was no opposite rotation version of the Merlin at that time.

This is a production TR33 Sea mosquito.

SeaMosquito.jpg.b21d0697be121824a3097a659bf2177c.jpg

The prototype that Eric Brown did the test deck landings was the same. 

will have to look up his book "Wings on my sleeve" but was sure it had contra because of the swing

Hi John,IC is internal combustion engine.apologies to Engine Doctor if I have used the wrong forum for my quest for advice and information on electric four engined aircraft.Thought I would have a wider response from both electric and IC flyers as to their experiences and handling of four engined aircraft.