3S Battery in a Radio Queen.

Advert

If you allow for (say) 80 watts/lb then you need a power train capable of delivering about 500 watts.  A 3S LiPo is about 10v on load so you'd need an esc capable of passing 50 amps (so 60 amps for some overhead).  The prop size will be dependent on the kv of the motor, which will need to weigh around 150 grams (based on the 3 watts/gram rule of thumb) and happy with a 50 amp current flow.   As the fabled George (I'm sure he really does exist 🙂 ) suggests from Steve's post above 4S would be a better choice. 

We haven't yet chosen a motor but according to this, a Protronik 3625-650 which is a similar spec to 4-max's recommendation and much more easily available here in France, produces 491.7 Watts on 11 Volts and a 15x8 propeller. That should be enough to fly a Radio Queen shouldn't it?

https://www.weymuller.fr/data/cata-6/23690_02173625_t.jpg

Would be better with a motor of around 900kv or a 4s battery. The original RQ flew across the Channel using a 1/4 hp (195 Watts) 3.5cc ED diesel with something like a 10" or 12" prop & model must have weighed a lot more than 6.5 lbs.   

Agree with what Phil posted as I typed. 

Edited by PatMc
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil Green said:

For what its worth I think you'd be fine with less, 80watts/pound isnt necessary for a vintage model, 50 is usually ample and a 300W setup might be easier to find.

Its just another opinion  😉

Cheers

Phil

More power the better.  OS 52 four stroke in my Junior 60 and it could do with more power flying inverted.