RC Aircraft Trainer - Foam and Kit

Greg

8 hours ago, Greg said:

Hello Pete,

Thank you for a lot of very useful information. I was thinking about an experienced flyer and it suddenly occurred to me that someone I know has an adult son who seem to do everything RC. I'll ask my friend to ask his son if he would help me.

Thanks again.

Greg,

Excellent compromise, I hope it works out well for you.

I came back to R/C about 20 years ago and started with some foam park flyer machines in my local park as a lone flyer and a BMFA country member.

I will not reference the machines here as they are now obsolete.

They taught me a lot but they also suffered awfully.

I too had some awful experiences with local clubs, and I visited many until I found one that suited me at the time.

I have since left that club having found another club which suits me much better.

Best of luck and please continue your experience on here.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Greg said:

Hello Paul,

Thank you for the information. I will have a look at what you have sent.

Thanks again.

Hi Greg, if you haven't found this site, it has lots of info you might find helpful: RCGroups.com: The ABCs of Radio Control - Aircraft, Boats, and Cars!  especially Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) - RC Groups

Edited by paul devereux
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Andy Gates said:

Greg,

Excellent compromise, I hope it works out well for you.

I came back to R/C about 20 years ago and started with some foam park flyer machines in my local park as a lone flyer and a BMFA country member.

I will not reference the machines here as they are now obsolete.

They taught me a lot but they also suffered awfully.

I too had some awful experiences with local clubs, and I visited many until I found one that suited me at the time.

I have since left that club having found another club which suits me much better.

Best of luck and please continue your experience on here.

Hello Andy,

Thank you. It is gratifying to see that I am not completely on my own when it comes to clubs. On my own I will fly safely. I will make mistakes. I will crash. I will break the thing. I will repair it and I will start the cycle again. 😁

44 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

Hi Greg, if you haven't found this site, it has lots of info you might find helpful: RCGroups.com: The ABCs of Radio Control - Aircraft, Boats, and Cars!  especially Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) - RC Groups

Hell Paul,

No, I had not found that site. I will have a look at it with a nice cup of coffee!

As a second or third model ?

I think his sonata may be his first, and if parts copied, his second, may be an aileron one ?

Greg, make sure your flying site is big enough. No wind seen or felt at home, even the tree tops seen from the kitchen not moving, however at the football pitch, the "house flags" were seen to be limp, then slight wind variable in direction.

Not perfect for the pteronodon, crows going berserk, and only just suitable for the drones and helo....always fly up wind, good practise session, addiction satisfied for today.

Much more wind above the trees...wind from "down hill" direction so quite turbulent...

Now where did I hide the drain rods lol...🤔

9 minutes ago, Rich Griff said:

As a second or third model ?

I think his sonata may be his first, and if parts copied, his second, may be an aileron one ?

Greg, make sure your flying site is big enough. No wind seen or felt at home, even the tree tops seen from the kitchen not moving, however at the football pitch, the "house flags" were seen to be limp, then slight wind variable in direction.

Not perfect for the pteronodon, crows going berserk, and only just suitable for the drones and helo....always fly up wind, good practise session, addiction satisfied for today.

Much more wind above the trees...wind from "down hill" direction so quite turbulent...

Now where did I hide the drain rods lol...🤔

Hello Rich,

Thank you for the advice. I gave my drain rods away so I didn't have to use them! 😁

6 hours ago, Greg said:

Hello Andy,

Thank you. It is gratifying to see that I am not completely on my own when it comes to clubs. On my own I will fly safely. I will make mistakes. I will crash. I will break the thing. I will repair it and I will start the cycle again. 😁

I learnt on my own because I lived in rural Wales without a car so couldn't get to a club even if there was one in the county (there wasn't one anyway). My first flight when I was actually in charge of the plane, instead of the other way around, was amazing! It took a few crashes to get there but it was all part of the learning curve. I forgot to mention that if you decide on a dongle and free Phoenix as a flight sim you will need a compatible transmitter. I learnt before there were such things as sims, so I have no idea how helpful they are to a learner, but I would guess they would be a great help in learning coordination and orientation.(Because controls are kind of reversed when you are flying towards yourself, and crashes on a sim don't require repairs!)

9 minutes ago, paul devereux said:

I learnt on my own because I lived in rural Wales without a car so couldn't get to a club even if there was one in the county (there wasn't one anyway). My first flight when I was actually in charge of the plane, instead of the other way around, was amazing! It took a few crashes to get there but it was all part of the learning curve. I forgot to mention that if you decide on a dongle and free Phoenix as a flight sim you will need a compatible transmitter. I learnt before there were such things as sims, so I have no idea how helpful they are to a learner, but I would guess they would be a great help in learning coordination and orientation.(Because controls are kind of reversed when you are flying towards yourself, and crashes on a sim don't require repairs!)

I certainly agree with what you have said. I live in rural Devon but I do have a car. Having said that, because of my Arthritis I sometimes find a bit difficult to drive because of the pains in my hands. I and my wife who live about a mile outside of our village are a very short walk from the village recreation ground. The rec in turn is surrounded by farmland and is in a big valley. Another short walk in the other direction takes us to a large field that has a public footpath running through it. This field has a steep slope to it so I thought that might be good for flying. But I have yet to ask the farmer if I can use his field. The rec is controlled by our Parish Council. I know one of the councillors who lives nearby and he has said that flying is permitted. In fact his adult son is very keen on everything RC and sometimes when he visits his Dad he brings a car load of RC kit and uses the recreation ground. 

I look forward to the warm months when I have the opportunity to go flying, sorry crashing.  😁

• Like 3

Watch out for the magnetic trees!

Little tip for you.

When you are flying and there are obstructions around (trees / football posts), concentrate on your plane NOT the obstruction.

I used to fly at a disused WWII airfield, the only obstruction being a tower / mast used by Marconi for testing and not particularly big.

I will not tell you the number of machines which fell foul of this obstruction, because fliers were concentrating on the mast and not their plane.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Andy Gates said:

Watch out for the magnetic trees!

Little tip for you.

When you are flying and there are obstructions around (trees / football posts), concentrate on your plane NOT the obstruction.

I used to fly at a disused WWII airfield, the only obstruction being a tower / mast used by Marconi for testing and not particularly big.

I will not tell you the number of machines which fell foul of this obstruction, because fliers were concentrating on the mast and not their plane.

Hello Andy,

Thank you for the tip. Very sound advice. I have a mental image of all these aircraft stuck in various positions up and down the tower.

14 hours ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

Looks like you've a good spot for giving it a go Greg, my tips have fun and enjoy yourself.

Thank you John. Well from the flying research I have done and the location of the recreation ground I think it will at least give ma a bit of experience before I start flying model 747s

12 hours ago, Rich Griff said:

Steep slope field, see any birds soaring, valley floor 400 feet or more, prevailing wind onto slope.....watch the birds Greg.

Thank you Rich. That's a good point. We do have a community of Jackdaws that live in a small wooded area near my house. 

2 minutes ago, Peter Christy said:

Greg: Without giving too much away, where about in Devon are you? I'm in South Devon - Torbay area - if that's any use to you.

--

Pete

Hello Pete,

I live in Newton Saint Cyres outside of Exeter. NSC is between Exeter and Crediton on the A377 .