Its all in the mix

Andy J

A lot of the products we use in building our models requiring a two part mix. Whilst epoxy is easy to judge by eye having dispensed two similar size blobs its only a matter of twizzling the mix together to form the adhesive. However a bit lost on how liquid two part mixes such as fiberglass and fuel proofer can be accurately dispensed to ensure a correct chemical reaction.

It would be possible to buy several different disposable pipettes but one would need a whole range of sizes dependent on the amount of product required. So how do most overcome this issue. Assume weight is one method but are there any alternative methods?

Advert

Did dig out my micro scales a couple of days ago with the intent of trying to use it to measure out a batch of epoxy but unfortunately found the unit was no longer working. Have already placed an order for a replacement unit measuring up to 500gr but with hindsite it would have been far better to have gone for the one as recommended by Graham.

Had not noticed that several manufactures post the mix ratios by weight on their instructions so will now go looking for this info.

Having been mixing various epoxies over the last 60+ years, it has become apparent that mixing the EXACT quantities is not overly crucial. .  . Yes, you want to be as close as possible but there is some leeway to the percentages. 

Basically, don't drive yourself mad being pedantic about measuring to the last gram.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Andy Stephenson said:

If the two parts are to be mixed by volume and they of different densities, then weighing them instead would lead to inaccurate proportions.

However, if the densities are known then weights can be calculated.

If you weigh the two unopened bottles at the start you can get a good enough mixing ratio (it's not exact, for that you should deduct the weight of the bottles from the total, but as I said good enough).

I use this little scale: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B075VM7TJH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 hours ago, Brian Cooper said:

Yes, you want to be as close as possible but there is some leeway to the percentages. 

Ah but getting as close as possible has the other advantage, you run out of both glue and hardener at the same time, rather than ending up with some of either left over!

There was a balance around at home when I was a youngster - it had pennyweight calibrated weights 🙂  My grandfather started the business in the late 19th century as watchmakers and jewellers. 

On a more practical level I've been using a digital scale intended for weighing food for dieting I bought at Boots perhaps 20 years ago.  It's a bit course for measuring small quantities as the minimum reading is 1gm. 

Just to close off this thread I have now tried using the weight measurement a couple of times for mixing Aerokote.

Resulting mixture was far easier to apply than previous applications and has certainly resulted in a good finish on a small engine cowl I have been working on.

On the negative side could not find any weight ratio mixing quantities on this product labeling.

Also given I only needed a small amount of mixed product I did find dispensing only 1gr of the active accelerator difficult, so a couple of small pipettes would be useful to use in conjunction with measurement of weight.

Edited by Andy Joyce