Modeller's Son

Ulfilias

*Waves*

I'm not really a modeler. My father was though and I'm in the "fun" situation of dealing with his hobby. Two "bedrooms" full of various bits. He was very good at buying, starting and getting excited over the next project. Probably 40-50yrs of projects! 

Actually matching plans of kits and working what was mostly finished and salvageable has been interesting, though lots of times you wish he was around to ask about stuff.  Alas lots were intermingled, new bits of kits tipped into boxes of older aircraft, part built sides, wings or fuselages around the place! Tip for your family, FINISH THINGS 🤣

I found this forum on a search for a Precedent kit and thought it may be useful to list things when we get round to doing so. If it's anything like a couple of forums I'm on (Avforums, A8parts) then usually a lot more interesting and friendly than ebay etc

I thought i'd say hi first before wading into the classifieds etc

• Like 1

Advert

Complete kits might be worth putting in an advert.   Part built models need to be seen.   You might consider having a table at a Swapmeet.  BMFA will have one soon at Buckminster ( Lincs)  I think and there some at various clubs during March, also Modelair at Old Warden in May.   Seeing the items go for a fair price  to someone who will use them is probably worth more than the money.

• Like 1

Little wolf?

Welcome. I think you need to contact your local flying club. And perhaps find an experienced modeller to sort it out a bit.
I can envisage what you are facing, and until some order is established, the stuff has no value or interest, it’s a mess. It’s a matter of knowing what you are looking at.

• Like 2

If in your dad's collection there is an unstarted complete precedent hi boy MK1 kit, I would offer a very good price, even in open/public space.

If you live near caernarfon I would gladly give you a day to help sort the collection, gratis, no strings attached.

Yes, get an experienced helper who would recognise parts/kits/engines etc. etc. etc..

You could of course contact job lot Buyers like APOB,  [email protected], and others advertising in rcme magazine. These companies are in business to make money for Thier companies, so an offer from them would reflect this.

There is a for sale section on here, on bmfa and of course e bay.

Edited by Rich Griff
  • Like 1

I'm afraid that starting a new project before the previous one is finished is fairly common amongst aeromodellers. I'm certainly a repeat offender!

Some pictures of what he's left would be helpful and I'm with Don Fry on this one, contact a local flying club and someone will probably spare the time to help you out. https://bmfa.justgo.com/clubFinder.html

It's such a shame that most of the stuff that we've acquired over the years and treasure as something that 'might come in handy' is actually quite useless and without value. Obviously there are exceptions such as rare and collectable engines, certain unstarted kits, maybe unusual early radio but on the whole what most of us have stored away is sadly..........junk.

I have an Arden Engine (Advanced Rubber Driven Engine) that is brand new in its box and fully complete. Don't know why I bought it from a stall at OW probably 40 years ago, I just liked it (still do) and was prepared to pay a couple of quid for it at the time.

I suppose someone might give a few pounds for it now as a curiosity, and settle it down in their workshop drawer for another few decades.

• Thanks 1

Hi There,

The only un-started kit is a precedent stampe - The celophane died in moving and the sticky tape on the lid is meh, but we didn't even open!
I've still got to check with my brothers on quite what is going to be sold, so nothing currently available. Based Cambs-Sawtry

But going through the pics i took the other day :
Midwest - Extra 300
Goldberg - Tiger 2
Great planes - U-Can-Do 3D - Arf
Tucano 40 - Arf
Ultra Sport 60
Byron Rv-4 (fibreglass) - He had a real RV4 some years back!
Great Planes - Aeromaster
Precedent - Turbulent (May be kept for display) 
Hanger 9 Alpha - Arf

Most of the above were finished enough, fuselage, wings, along with the plans, books etc to save, mostly wrapped, often with engines, servos etc and predominantly there.

As mentioned there's some plans for some others which may be useful/interesting to someone, but the rest of the kits etc were un-savable alas. Heck some may even be for long gone aircraft - I know at least one died in a cat basket incident 20+ yrs back 😪

We did have a modeler friend who suggested a swap meet type thing, which would be great for all the little packets of unopened bits, rolls of films (20-30), engines, wheels, servos, pneumatics and so forth, but it is a time factor, plus transport, so unlikely 😞

When it comes to selling, i think it'll be a collection only type thing

Thanks very much for the reply, you live way too far ( 250 miles ? ) Away for me to help.

I am sure there will be some absolute gems in your dad's collection.

May I ask, any Cox engines or parts, even a PT19 Cox control line plane, even broken one ?

I would give a very good price for a Cox td09 RC with silencer.

The Cox engines are very recognisable, I will post a picture if you need to know what they look like.

rich

Unstarted kits can be worth a fair bit - should be way over £100 for the Precedant Stampe.   Engines may be worth something - post some photos.   Rolls of SolarTEX might fetch more than you think, while Solarfilm etc might still be worth selling.  

Part built really depends on someone viewing to see the quality and completeness.   You might sell part or fully built planes at a swapmeet- consider the BMFA Swapmeet 16 th April or 25 June at Buckminster near Grantham.  Table £10.   

There are a couple of commercial buyers of entire collections I am aware of. Other than that awareness I have no connection nor particular knowledge of the businesses.

They are:

A Plane Olde Bargain, Northampton based: https://www.radiocontrolledmodels.co.uk/our-services

South Coast Hobbies, Christchurch based: http://southcoasthobbies.co.uk/#summary 

Unmistakable Cox enginesIMG_20230128_122229_5CS.thumb.jpg.292fc14e784e41fa62a5d452fae54c95.jpg

The rear left one is a beam mounted td09, non RC type with circular exhaust. The RC version would have an RC carb and torpedo type silencer. It is held onto the wood mount by 4 bolts. They have some red as well as black plastic parts.

The others are 049 baby bee reed type bulkhead mounted, some with external fuel tanks. There are other cc beam mounted Cox engines. If an engine looks like the ones shown, it is more than likely a Cox engine. Other Cox engines will have COX cast into the crank case and worth a lot.

Cox all plastic control line flying models like the PT19 and STUKA ( and others ) will have COX written on them.

Check eBay for overpriced cox 049's. Check Dens Model Supplies for prices of new engines and parts.

Kiel Kraft also made all plastic control line flying models.

Some glow/diesel model engines fetch very high prices.

I would be interested in any Cox product, frozen solid engine, broken control line model and any Cox parts.

I am not a shop or wheelers dealer and only use eBay for window shopping.

Post all engines and engine parts pictures on here for response/advise.

Oliver Tiger engines a worth a lot, to name just one manufacturer.

Hope this helps you.

Edited by Rich Griff

If you were to photograph the ‘20-30’ engines together and post them here we might be able to identify them. You might even get some offers.

The BMFA have just held another online auction with hundreds of engines and old kits for sale. Anyone know when the next one might be?

Would you have a RCV 58CD or perhaps a HP vt-21 by any chance?

On 27/01/2023 at 16:09, Rich Griff said:

I am sure there will be some absolute gems in your dad's collection.

May I ask, any Cox engines or parts, even a PT19 Cox control line plane, even broken one ?

Not sure on Cox here - I'll have a look when i am next over.

I know there are some OS Max ones. There's some boxes for OS, Saito and Hirtenberg, but Unsure on what's on the fuselages of the models as some certainly had mounted engines.
There's a BEAUTIFUL 4 cylinder one which i *know* is worth a fair bit. I'd have expected it to be for the RV4 but don't think the engine mounts lined up

A beautifully 4 cylinder engine, a keeper perhaps as a "work of art". Yes, worth a lot of money no doubt. Post a picture of it so it can be identified, so we can all drwwwwwl All over our keyboards 😀

One man's junk is another man's gold.

This forum and members will be very helpfull to you.

Looks like the big 4cylinder one is an OS Max FF-320 pegasus !!!

Bolted to models I found
use engines syracuse ny 417951
Saito (i've a box, but the pics i took doesn't give more details than four stroke engines hemi head) 
Irvine 53 ABC MK II 

No cox, though i didn't check the ARFs though, actually i *think* dad added the engines than in the kits, so maybe i should!

Also in the box of films, Ultracote, Ultracoteplus, monokote, glosstex and Solartrim - Untouched rolls and multiple of some rolls, though a lot of white and some reds!

I'll have another look next week and speak to my brothers, then once cleared i can start a sale add 😄

My experience of selling hobby goods as an executor is that selling direct to enthusiastic buyers was very worthwhile.   Selling to someone who appreciated the effort and craftsmanship of the late owner was in itself rewarding.   The buyers often spotted other items and made very good offers for items previously unidentified which was a bonus.  

So my advice is to avoid dealers and sell direct to aeromodellers.

• Like 1