Weston Super Mare who lives there ?.

Paul De Tourtoulon

How many people fulfilling these criteria do you imagine might have read your post in the five hours between your tow posts.

1. Active member of the Model Flying Forum.

2. Live in Weston Super Mare.

3. Were online and read that particular thread between 7am- ish and lunchtime today.

4. Were willing to act as a go between, collecting some model bits, paying for them, packaging them up and sending them to France/

Personally I'd imagine that would be quite a small number of people to fulfill the first two criteria, but much smaller to fulfill the second set of two - and for a positive response they would need to put a tick against all four. Maybe leaving the request up for a week or so might yield a positive response, but five hours is maybe a bit soon to be exclaiming the demise of Great Britain.  I wonder what the response would have been if the engine were located in Guines or Barcelonette?

6 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Hi, I have come across an old rubbish engine to modify but its buyer collects at Weston Super Mare,

I have offered him an extra 20€ to post it as a gift to France but no answer yet, is anyone out there willing to help me by picking it up and posting it to me ?.

Thanks, Paul

Hi Paul. I’m going to the UK between about 10th to 20th April. I own a house in Clevedon, one junction up the Autoroute. I will be passing both ways, sometime between those dates. I don’t know anyone who could pick it up. If your seller goes through Clevedon, a have an address where it can be dropped off. I have tomatoes. I am short of Wild Boar.

• Like 1

Surely the reason nobody  responded is that it would be illegal to post something abroad descibed as a gift if it really was an item paid for.    Nobody was willing to break the law!   And as you put it in writing on a forum it may be there forever and could be used against you at any time in the future.    

Just now, kc said:

Surely the reason nobody  responded is that it would be illegal to post something abroad descibed as a gift if it really was an item paid for.    Nobody was willing to break the law!   And as you put it in writing on a forum it may be there forever and could be used against you at any time in the future.    

Oh come on, is a £50 non-running damaged engine going to get someone shot by MI 5 ?.

Ps, when was the last time you drove 1 mile an hour over the speed limit and not hand yourself into the Police station ?.

2 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Oh come on, is a £50 non-running damaged engine going to get someone shot by MI 5 ?.

It is against the law to misdescribe items going thro Customs etc.   It does not matter that it's of little value.    Nobody took you up on your offer as it would have been illegal,  and of course they don't know if the engine is full of stuff that would certainly get a jail sentence if found.    

What has made Britain great is that we don't deliberately break the law.  

I don't understand this 'buyer collects' attitude from a seller who is flogging an item that is easily packaged and posted at cost. I've often seen this awkwardness when browsing the ads - fair enough for large and heavy items that may well need special attention or would be unrealistically expensive to ship,  but an engine? Come on, it's sheer can't be asked stuff, do you want to sell or not?

Sending this particular item abroad and dealing with customs may well be an issue in this particular case, but generally within the UK it isn't hard and you can have a courier come to your door and collect it if going to the post office is just far too much of a bother. Just pass the cost on to the buyer. Both buying and selling does require a bit of effort and god forbid, sometimes a little inconvenience to close the sale.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

If it the same as posting it to the UK John, I would think twice. And I don’t think €20 will cover it. It’s a pain, the paperwork. Not the cost, second hand private sale is below the duty level, and VAT is not applicable on a private sale of second hand goods, but the paperwork is complex, and customs open boxes, don’t care much that the repacking is efficient. And the cheap old post costs are no more. 
I now make my own pickled onions, pickles,  chutneys,  lime pickle, mushy peas, Panco breadcrumbs, baked beans…………..
I am grateful to my greengrocer. He sells very good Cheddar. We commiserated, the Red Leicester did not sell well, and is no more. 

• Like 1

Baked beans Heinz type

BEANS -

400 g dried Navy beans (aka Haricot) or other white beans

BAKED BEANS
500 ml chicken stock/broth , veg also ok, stock cubes, gelly. 
270 ml water
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
6 tbsp ketchup 
2 tbsp tomato paste
3 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or more onion powder)
1/2 tsp onion powder (or more garlic powder)
1/2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp salt 

soak beans overnight. Drain, into slow cooker with everything else. Cook as necessary, 3 hours?

Freeze in 100 ml ice cubes.

Produces a taste like before salt, and sugar reduced. I don’t live on baked beans so don’t care.

Recipe evolved over the last decade.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Don Fry said:

VAT is not applicable on a private sale of second hand goods

Internal to a country, sure.

Customs disagree.

On 02/03/2023 at 07:18, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

I have offered him an extra 20€ to post it as a gift to France but no answer yet

20 euros is a complete lowball, so I'm not surprised.

I have in the past sold lumps of oily aluminium to buyers located in foreign climes. However. I've left the exporting to Ebay. Look at the postage charges that Ebay apply to such sales... that accounts for the customs and vat, as such postage operation is a complete hassle if you do it yourself - Ebay take the problem away and do it for you at cost plus. YMMV.

For reference. A recent frivolous (I blame the grape juice) purchase of a £50 modelling item cost £100 to get from USA to my front door in UK.

18 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Ps, when was the last time you drove 1 mile an hour over the speed limit and not hand yourself into the Police station ?.

I defended myself in a speeding case (camera van) in court and was found guilty of doing 31mph in a 30 and fined £200 😞

15 hours ago, john stones 1 - Moderator said:

It's not illegal to post a used glow engine oversea is it ?

Of course that's not illegal - it's the misdescribing the posted item as a gift when it's not that would be illegal.  .