OS 46FX

KenC

37 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

If this was my engine, before doing anything else or spending any money on it, I would take the cylinder head off and check the bore for flakey plating. This was a particular problem with the OS 46FX. From new, mine needed two replacement pistons and liners before the problem was solved.

"De chroming" a common problem with OS, Magnum and Thunder tiger, and Irvine,

OS and Irvine it flaked off around the exhaust, the others mostly because of using 'bad' fuel and running them in on the bench,,,

32 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

"De chroming" a common problem with OS, Magnum and Thunder tiger, and Irvine,

OS and Irvine it flaked off around the exhaust, the others mostly because of using 'bad' fuel and running them in on the bench,,,

Yes but OS insisted on using the inferior nickel instead of chrome because the process is cheaper and easier to do. My 46 FX is the only engine it has happened to me with.

PS I have to add it also happened with my OS61RF.

Edited by Andy Stephenson

Ok gents, update 

I removed the rear plate and had a peek inside, not too bad for my untrained eye. To remove bearings I need the head off  and when I tried the screws ( key head) are so stiff as to be easier to damage than resolve any issues.  I have cleaned her as best as can and mopped any water from the freeing, as best as can.

I almost think the cost of a piston, liner, bearings, possibly head bolts  ( 6 )   etc etc  is going to challenge the value of a new unit.  

I feel I might swap the plug  remount ( new bolts needed for the engine mount) and run it to see if it can manage as is.

If it is to be replaced , what is the consensus on a replacement .... another OS 46AX £140   or something else ? 

7 hours ago, Doug Campbell said:

Duraglo is a brilliant fuel. Ran it for years with no corrosion, engine wear minimal. Jon let’s his emotions cloud his judgement at times

Err, no, i just know more about it than an end user. its kinda my job. Duraglo is awful, castor is awful. By every possible measure synthetic oils are superior. Even model diesel engine manufacturers are no longer recommending castor. Its day is well and truly done, so lets just move on. I honestly i cannot begin to fathom why this simple fact is resisted every time it is raised. My only emotion is frustration at the complete inability of old dogs to learn anything at all, let alone a new trick. its not the 1980's any more, things have moved on. 

Ken, do you have a photo you can post of the innards? Might give some insight into the condition. 

Before considering a replacement you need to get this one apart. The head bolts should come undone without too much trouble but you do need a decent allen key of the right size. If you are using a screw driver bit it can help to fit the bit in the bolt and give it a whack with a hammer. I do this quite often at work with engines that have been together for years and do not want to come apart. The liner plague discussed is only a maybe and although a relatively common issue its not guaranteed your engine is damaged. It is worth knowing though. If its already gone you might as well just run the engine until it dies as i dont think you can get spares any more anyway. If its alright, you can still check the bearings and replace if needed giving you a good engine and peace of mind that its in good condition. 

All is not lost, dont give up on it just yet. 

On the plating, i think OS used electroless plating on their liners and it was more the process rather than the material that caused the trouble. Not totally sure but that was my understanding. 

16 minutes ago, Kevin Fairgrieve said:

A knackered liner will look like this.
DSCF0142.thumb.JPG.bb89d03533b8bfa705e62996b3a6cbae.JPG

This was from an OS46FX that I rebuilt. When spares were still available.

Good lord. That has to be worst one i have ever seen. Its almost all brass! 

I rebuilt a few with ASP chrome brass liners and they went well after repairs. Shame the old nickel plating cant be honed off and the thing re chromed in the garden. There are videos online on how to do it. Might be a fun project 

3 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Good lord. That has to be worst one i have ever seen. Its almost all brass! 

I rebuilt a few with ASP chrome brass liners and they went well after repairs. Shame the old nickel plating cant be honed off and the thing re chromed in the garden. There are videos online on how to do it. Might be a fun project 

Yes, this one was rebuilt using ASP spare parts.

Turned out to be a great engine.

11 minutes ago, Kevin Fairgrieve said:

Yes, this one was rebuilt using ASP spare parts.

Turned out to be a great engine.

Ironic that the clone ASP parts made with chrome were better than the OEM parts in nickel. I think i read they changed from chrome due to its toxicity during manufacture, and environmental regs or something? I might have dreamt it, but for some reason it rings a bell. 

Well, I've seen far worse. If they feel smooth, I think the engine would run OK with those bearings, but they would need replacing in the near future. The main thing is to get the head off and look at the cylinder bore. Have you tried some heat? A hot air heat gun is a handy thing. Get the cylinder fins and head nice and hot, then give it another go with a good fitting hexagon key. Helps to hold the engine wearing oven gloves or similar.

Whereabouts are you? Perhaps another forum member more confident in these things could assist you personally.

Do you have the correct size key? The screws will be metric, not imperial. Probably 2.5mm key needed. Make sure there is no debris inside the screw heads, so the key can engage to the full depth. Can also try with a small punch and light hammer to carefully apply a shock to the screw heads, but don't be too brutal!

Edited by Jonathan W
spelling

3 minutes ago, Jonathan W said:

Do you have the correct size key? The screws will be metric, not imperial. Probably 2.5mm key needed. Make sure there is no debris inside the screw heads, so the key can egage to the full depth. Can also try with a small punch and light hammer to carefully apply a shock to the screw heads, but don't be too brutal!

Do OS engines use metric. I seem to recall a lot of UNF. Ancient brain cell, soaked in whisky, but it says UNF.