Guild Fuel Proof Paint

KenC

I've had very mixed results with it. The same paint from the same tin has proved very unreliable in its  "fuel resistant  " qualities. Even the colour seems to have different results. Yellow and blue seem reasonable but red is useless. The substrate also has an effect. Plastic and GRF OK but Solartex not so good, even after cleaning all surfaces with IPA. The best ever fuel resistant paint was, IMO, the long gone Powermax Polykote.

I have just tried some "Chroma" fuel proof paint . I don't know if it's another  lncarnation of the Flair Spectrum paints . The gloss I used spreads and covers very well and give a good finish. The matt paint however is a strange consistency akin to yogurt ! Needs two thin coats as it's coverage is patchy . Also looks totally the wrong colour ( olive drab) until some hours later . Thins  OK with white spirit cleans off with white spirit or cellulose.

Whether its fuel proof or just resistant remains to be seen. Full fuel resistance takes a week or so .

Solarlac and clearcote are sadly missed . I often use two pack auto paint for a fuel proof application but it's good to have a simple to apply one pack paint that's properly fuel proof and not as toxic as the two pack .

Apparently Clearcoat and Solarlac are still available but for collection only ! 400 mile round trip is a trip too far for a hobby.

As Jrman say Powermax Polykote was excellent . Like a lot of other paints a victim of our governments obsession of protecting us from ourselves. 

Edited by Engine Doctor

Polykote was, I understand ,based on a resin called PU15 manufactured by a company called Furniglas. A large price increase and high minimum order value of the base resin was I believe, the main reason for the demise of Polykote.

• Like 2

I use the guild/spectrum paints as they are easy to use and easy to clean up. they are also not horrendous when it comes to price. However, the matt colours are not in the least bit fuel proof and can barely be called fuel resistant. The gloss seems much better, but that is hardly a surprise as gloss is always going to be better. In any event fuel proofing them has always been a pain in the backside and i had some success with the mick reeves mr epoxy but it was a nightmare to use and i had to be so careful not to eat the base coat. Its also unavailable now. 

I have done some experiments using 2k clear over the top of these enamels and i didnt have any problem with the paint being eaten. The next time i finish something, likely my TF Spitfire, i will try using enamels and then hitting it with 2k matt clear on the top. If this works as well as my test pieces suggests then that will be my go to combination in the future.

As for solarlac, i had nightmare problems spraying it but that was partly due to my airbrush not being man enough for the job. I did hear that offers were made to buy solarfilm as a company and continue to produce all of the products, but its owners chose to scuttle the ship instead. Not sure if its true, but that is what i was told by someone who alleged they had inside information. 

25 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

The films, well, the cheaper competition had them there

Did they though? While we will probably wander off topic with this i cant help but think that they would have been fine had they sold direct. They could then trim the price while making more profit as they cut the profit of their distributor out of the deal. Certainly solartex was good value vs oratex even back then. 

It just seems strange that you would let your business die rather than sell it on and see it prosper. Even if the new owner runs it into the ground its not different to shutting up shop yourself so...

Kinda strange to my mind anyway. 

38 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Did they though? While we will probably wander off topic with this i cant help but think that they would have been fine had they sold direct. They could then trim the price while making more profit as they cut the profit of their distributor out of the deal. Certainly solartex was good value vs oratex even back then. 

It just seems strange that you would let your business die rather than sell it on and see it prosper. Even if the new owner runs it into the ground its not different to shutting up shop yourself so...

Their website dated as 2023 claims to have a complete range of products available. They appear to be open for callers on just Mondays. Very odd.....dead, but won't lie-down?

Companies house still shows them in business.

Edited by Cuban8

1 hour ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Jon , and a right pain in the butt for us returners that are trying to revive decades old airframes that were covered in Solartex . If anyone knows of a small quantity of the deep red I would be most interested. 

1 hour ago, Cuban8 said:

Their website dated as 2023 claims to have a complete range of products available. They appear to be open for callers on just Mondays. Very odd.....dead, but won't lie-down?

'Solarfilm Sales Limited' is still in existence, run part time by Andrew Hardman, selling off the remaining stock of products left from the manufacturing business of 'Solarfilm Limited' which has been closed. Andrew is the son of the late Derek Hardman who was the man behind Solarfilm and who sadly died in 2015.

I've had a few purchases from Andrew over the last 2/3 years and all were promptly dispatched on the Monday after placing.

Edited by John Lee

1 hour ago, Cuban8 said:

Not if you want 2m of solartex in dark red !  

• Sad 1

Yea they are selling off 2nds and old stock. I did buy some solarfilm, which was fine. But they have solarlac paint but refuse to send it in the post and the range is seriously reduced in scale. 

Open but you cant really buy anything. 

15 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

On reflection you're right about Solartex, that was worth it.

I would have been amazed if going direct meant they could go from the retail price (at the time, excuse my failing memory) around £15 for a 1.8m roll (£8/m ?) to anywhere close to the price of say Hobbyking film, which was selling at £12 for 5m, around 1/3 of the cost. Obviously pricing is a bit different now on the chinese manufactured films, for various reasons, more like £5/m. Maybe they could have competed.

26 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

On reflection you're right about Solartex, that was worth it.

I would have been amazed if going direct meant they could go from the retail price (at the time, excuse my failing memory) around £15 for a 1.8m roll (£8/m ?) to anywhere close to the price of say Hobbyking film, which was selling at £12 for 5m, around 1/3 of the cost. Obviously pricing is a bit different now on the chinese manufactured films, for various reasons, more like £5/m. Maybe they could have competed.

In the case of solartex specifically it would have been competitive as it was very good and there was no cheap alternative. 

The films however... original solarfilm does still work well, and i am very pleased with results on my ugly mustang, but it lacked a few 'modern' features like not leaving its paint behind when stripped or repositioned slightly. Their solarspan range was good, and i used some many moons ago with excellent results. It was easier to use than the HK films and i found it left a really nice finish. 

If we consider they made it these products, sold at a profit to ripmax, who sold it at a profit to shops, who sold it at a profit to us, i cant help but think that selling it direct to customers would have made it more price competitive and more profitable. Also if i had a choice between a product made in the uk on a couple of days delivery vs a chinese product on the slow boat for a month i know which i would pick, even if the chinese one was cheaper. Of course there are limits. I had some models to cover a number of years ago and when faced with a nearly £300 bill for oracover and only about £40 for HK film i went the cheap route as the difference was just ridiculous. 

Anyway its water under the bridge now i guess. 

Ron, which service did you use to collect the paints? 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines

16 minutes ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Ron, which service did you use to collect the paints? 

TBH Jon, I don't remember! I probably did it through my business as I was always using couriers for delivering and collecting stuff, so my guess would be that it was one of UPS, DHL or TNT as they were the ones I used most often. I do remember having to check on their policies regarding 'dangerous goods' but also seem to remember that I had some solvent based paints delivered (2K stuff and cellulose thinners) round the same time and used the same couriers.