First taste of the sky

toto

I wasn't sure at first. You need the internet to update software revisions and some other stuff but bluetooth for buddying. Learning all the time.

This issue has help explain why there are sometimes more than one apparent route to do a certain task though. I'm sure there are other examples of tasks that are held on more than one menu. I often wondered why. Looks like the good people at Spektrum have thought these things out with good reason.

It will certainly make me think and investigate any other " dual route " functions that I come across going forward.

Toto

• Like 1

Hoe else can you explain the two transmitters talking to each other ?

They have not been tethered to the internet in any way. 

It can only be bluetooth or something similar. Either way ..... it works. I'll be more convinced when I am up on the field in the middle of nowhere ...... and it still works though  .....:classic_biggrin: 

Toto

As far as I understand it.....

The master binds to the receiver with a nice stable 2.4 signal

The slave binds to the master with a nice stable 2.4 signal

You can get firmware and software downloads off the internet

You can load firmware and software to some radios via sd card

You can load firmware and software to some radios via a lead from the radio to your computer

You can load firmware and software to some radios via wifi

You can load software and firmware to some radios via bluetooth

You can communicate between some radios and peripheral devices (phones, speakers, programming apps etc.) via bluetooth

Never given it much thought, but I'd have thought a Bluetooth connection would be most likely. Not so, apparently. Just turned this up. Clever eh? All Spektrum hardware so no Bluetooth licencing to pay.

No chance of the student and instructor standing too far apart either.

Spektrum Wireless Trainer: The Basics
Nowadays, most students at the Flight School are likely to come with a Spektrum radio of some kind
that includes (or can be used in) a Wireless Trainer system. The purpose of this note is to help students
and instructors understand how this system works and how to solve any problems that arise.
The Wireless Trainer system works extremely well and is preferable to the older wired approach,
especially in a time when we must maintain physical distancing.
Basic Concept
In the Spektrum Wireless Trainer system, the Master transmitter, which is always in the hands of the
instructor, is bound to the model and sends the radio signals that control it.
Within the Master transmitter is a standard Spektrum DSMX receiver which is bound to the Student
radio (also called the “slave”). When the Instructor hands over control, signals from the Student radio
are temporarily routed by this receiver through the Master transmitter to control the model.
Only the Master radio needs to be Wireless Trainer equipped. The Student radio (buddy box) can be
virtually any functional DSM2 or DSMX transmitter. It does not need to have any advanced capabilities,
as only its stick outputs are used.
Note that the Master radio is always the one that has Wireless Trainer capability and is used by the
instructor. Normally, the Master radio is provided by the student, who uses a second radio to fly the
model.
An alternative is for the instructor to program his personal Spektrum radio for the student’s model,
allowing the student to use his own radio for learning. This, of course locks that student to a particular
instructor.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, toto said:

Hoe else can you explain the two transmitters talking to each other ?

They have not been tethered to the internet in any way. 

It can only be bluetooth or something similar. Either way ..... it works. I'll be more convinced when I am up on the field in the middle of nowhere ...... and it still works though  .....:classic_biggrin: 

Toto

IME it's one thing Spektrum have nailed, it's easy to configure and rock solid despite the concerns from some old boys in my club still fiddling around with cables between the transmitters. 😬

Despite the manual wanting in some areas it does cover the Wireless Trainer basics well and as previously linked there are loads of Youtube videos also explaining how to configure it.

Went into the shed tonight to charge up both TX, RX and glow ignitor batteries ready for the weekend. .... All done.

Before doing so though, I fired up both the NX6 and NX8 and tried both out as master and slave on the Arising Star and both worked fine. I just wanted to ensure that they had stored the settings ok.

So .... looking forward to this weekend and the thought of some more, hopefully drama free stick time. ..... looking promising.

Toto

• Like 5

Hi Matty,

I'll have to give my instructor first dibs. He does seem keen enough to try and keep continuity going and as the weather seems to be playing ball, I think I need to fall in to suit. Should anything change there, the glider could be a good fall back. 

Toto

3 hours ago, toto said:

Hi Matty,

I'll have to give my instructor first dibs. He does seem keen enough to try and keep continuity going and as the weather seems to be playing ball, I think I need to fall in to suit. Should anything change there, the glider could be a good fall back. 

Toto

Fair enough. I guess my key point is, the two activities are not mutually exclusive - if you get the Easyglider assembled and set up on your TX, an experienced modeller (your mentor or anyone else you trust) can give it a 10 min test flight and trim it out so it is ready to take to the slope when conditions allow. You don't need to fly it yourself or get it setup on the buddy box at this point, that can wait.

Edited by MattyB
  • Like 1

Hi Matty .... appreciated.

I would love to have any excuse to give me the green light to assemble the Easyglider. I just need to be careful as I'm just a bit concerned that my instructor thinks that I am trying to run before I can walk. 

Any time I have mentioned bringing anything new into the mix, I think he thinks it's over complicating things and should just concentrate on what we are currently doing. I can understand this as you will have seen the pretty unstable road that I have been on to date and the endless issues / teething problems encountered.

I think / hope that it will just be a matter of weeks before things improve provided I can get just a bit more consistent conditions. Once I reach solo and can make more of my own decisions as to what I choose to introduce, I have three x 3S 2200 man batteries with the Easygliders name written all over them. :classic_biggrin: believe me ..... they will be put to good and quick use. ...... Imagine .... 3 x average potential 20 minute flights ( depending on motor usage )...... and of course numerous glow flights with the Arising Star. ...... there's going to be a fight for air space. :classic_biggrin:

I'll touch on the subject again on Saturday when I'm at the field. Maybe someone will be happy to maiden her when I'm busy doing my bit with my usual trainer. As you say ... at least that way she could be trimmed and tested ready to go. However, if I sense potential tantrums in the camp, I'll pull up short of pushing it. ..... it can be a fine line to walk.

If I'm flying at all ....I'll be a happy man.

Cheers

Toto

• Like 4

So .... the Eve before a potential flight fest. 

Phoned my instructor .... everything is on for a Saturday and Sunday flight filled extravaganza ...... :classic_biggrin: .... how often have I been saying that. :classic_biggrin:

Weather has been glorious after the haar has lifted, shorts and T shirt material. Everything charged as required and the Arisng Star has had a good old check over ...... all looking good.

Could this be the weekend it all comes together and I am hailed " top gun " ...... or is it more ..... Frank Spencer. 

Time will tell ..... I'll report in tomorrow and tell all. ..... my thumbs are twitching already ...... until tomorrow ....

Safe landings

Toto

• Like 4

Good luck Toto.  It's always exciting the night before.  I'm sitting here watching Top of the Pops from 1984 and my Tiger 40 and Futaba transmitter are on the charger.  I hope you have a great day at the field with the Arising Star and get in plenty of good flights as practice makes perfect.   You are starting off the proper way with the traditional glow engine trainer and before you know it you will be Toto "Tom Cruise" master of the skies over bonnie Scotland.  I will keep my fingers crossed for you and I'm rooting for you all the way.   Looking forward to hearing a flight report when you get back to base.  

• Like 1

Well ..... the big breakdown of today's goings on.

Flight one ..... great take off leading into quite a few reasonably good circuits. Rectangular and a couple of figure of eights. Lovely smooth turns with just the right amount of aileron to give that swooping controlled look. .... happy. 

About half way through the flight ....... dead stick ...... my instructor brought her down with  o damage what so ever. My instructor has not been totally happy with the fuel tank set up so it was decided to install another slightly different tank and fittings. That was comp.eted pretty quickly and back up she went for a second flight.

Lovely take off .... even better and more sedate / convincing than the first .... very happy with that. Once agai  ..... some pretty good circuits being flown, my instructor leaving me to my own devices as far as patterns that I was flying as he wanted me to get a good feel for the mldel prior to preparing me in readiness for some slightly lower flying circuits .eading to Lear long landing approaches and low passes.

All going well and then got myself into a bit of a spin. .... don't know how it became so violent but it did. My instructor jumped in but could mot seem to save it from plum eating earthwards where it headed at a fair rate of knots.

The long walk of shame was undertaken to retrieve the ,model which had came down a fair way out in the neighbouring field.

Model retrieved and the damage looked fairly extensive but at first contained to the rear end. The elevator was completely detached from the tail but in one piece and u da aged at all. 

The tail where the elevator and rudder attach to was badly damaged ....... but repairable ( more on that later ).

The wings had taken a dunt to the extent that they were forced about 4 inches along to one side. Several punctures both top and bottom and several aileron hinges ripped apart. ( not as bad as it sounds ).

A gaping hole on the front underside of the under carriage and the wire wheel axles pretty badly bent and a broken prop. There were other bits of localised damage  but I wont go on ....... I think you get the picture.

So ... back to my instructors house / shed.

Back end sorted. The severely damaged rear structure that holds the elevator and rudder was repairable luckily due to the way and location that it had sheared. That was sorted and the elevator and rudder back to serviceable condition.

A couple of patches to the film finishing also done.

The repair to the undercarriage and to the area damaged around the wing banc poles on the side of the fuselage which had been shunted forward  reaking the fusealhe sides a  it.  ..... sorted. 

Wheel wires straightened out and  various wing film punctures repaired. Both ailerons totally detached and rehinged as it was easier than trying to fixing around 60 to 70 percent damaged hinges.

Broken prop taken off ( at my own house tonight ) but no replacement to fit until tomorrow morning.

I've probably missed the detail on some of the other slight bits of damages as there were more. 

So ........ a few odds and ends to do tomorrow  before going back up. Also a  very thorough test of all repairs done and in general to all operating / control surfaces to ensure all are functioning properly.

So ..... in summary ..... not the desired final outcome but what I can take away from it is that with the exception of the unexplained spin ..... my flying was pretty good. I can only wait until tomorrow to see if the repairs are up to it and of I continue from where I left off, or if other potential  model issues will raise their heads.

I think I'll sleep on it .....:classic_biggrin:

toto

• Like 4

If the CG had moved noticeably aft due to the new rank, I’d have expected a) you to have to retrim on takeoff, and b) it to be noticeably more pitch sensitive during the flight. Did you notice either or both of those? If not we are looking for a different root cause… 

• Like 1