Clevis Tool

Andy J

10 minutes ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

I don't suppose you have uploaded it

No problem Martin, I’ll put them on the ITAT forum.

But for those without printing facilities I can sell them for a £1 for the pair, plus P&P. It would be far more cost effective if a club placed a ‘bulk’ order as that would substantially reduce the cost per unit. Or if anyone who wants some and are going to Old Warden I can take some with me.

Edited by Ron Gray
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Well we are a community and there are 3D printer owners, me being one! As a result I just knocked up this one for either 2 or 3mm clevis:

Neat, I was planning to do the same as I always have screwdriver near misses and this thread has been a revelation. (I didn't fancy paying out for the Nexus ones).

Is yours printed in PLA?

26 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

Thanks, very kind. I'll give it a go.

I'll probably find out for myself however will ask a question about it's use.

It's easy to see how the clevis is opened however quite often, if the clevis pin is a neat fit in the hole, I find it necessary to lever the clevis off the control horn when using the improvisation methods I've used up to now. Is there a sleight of hand trick that one uses with this, or any of the other tools for that matter, to pull the pin out of the horn if it's not a rattling good fit?

4 hours ago, Bruce Collinson said:

£45 seems a bit steep.   Paul d T, I have tried with a ground down screwdriver but it can slip too readily.

At $3 US, if I get my son to bring a handful back from L.A. in June, is there an appetite for the proper Sullivan ones?

BTC

Count me in Bruce.  When I used to visit the USA regularly on business I always dropped by the Hobby Shops to see what useful low cost gizmos there were.  There was a plastic gizmo that you could use to help wind plastic ball joints onto the threaded shaft.  If he could get some of those I'd be up for one.  Can't find the one I bought and I miss it sorely!

1 hour ago, Peter Jenkins said:

There was a plastic gizmo that you could use to help wind plastic ball joints onto the threaded shaft.  If he could get some of those I'd be up for one.  Can't find the one I bought and I miss it sorely!

I think that would be the Great Planes 4-in-1 tool Peter. Again they seem to be mostly out of stock but it is listed on Amazon UK, albeit it will come from Amazon EU so it carries a premium & 4-6 weeks delivery.

I'm keeping both of mine!

5240E85D-E24E-4FB6-A2D7-31A502FB83E3_1_102_o.thumb.jpeg.669b4dc97616526924fc1e3b7a3888f0.jpeg

• Like 1

All,

I have a couple of PMs in addition to the above.   When LA wakes up I'm hoping to hear that three I found in Hicksville at under $2 are ordered, then in a week or so I'll place another order for the rest and see if the boy is up for posting them.   If not he's back in June.

I have a pair of those ball drivers Peter, different sizes, bought from MS Leeds I recall.   If you (or anyone else) wants to specify the item, ideally a hyperlink to a US source, I'll add them to the list.

Pro tem, Ron, I'd like one of each of yours but I'll rustle round the boys at the Fun Crash on Monday and try to bulk up the order a bit.   Many thanks in advance.

BTC

3 hours ago, Graham Bowers said:

Is there a sleight of hand trick that one uses with this,

The ones that I've 3D printed open the clevis even if they are 'clicked' together. However, if the clevis pins is a tight fit in the control horn then you will still have to ease it out. I don't think that any clevis tool can do that unless it uses the control horn as a leverage point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bruce Collinson said:

All,

I have a couple of PMs in addition to the above.   When LA wakes up I'm hoping to hear that three I found in Hicksville at under $2 are ordered, then in a week or so I'll place another order for the rest and see if the boy is up for posting them.   If not he's back in June.

I have a pair of those ball drivers Peter, different sizes, bought from MS Leeds I recall.   If you (or anyone else) wants to specify the item, ideally a hyperlink to a US source, I'll add them to the list.

Pro tem, Ron, I'd like one of each of yours but I'll rustle round the boys at the Fun Crash on Monday and try to bulk up the order a bit.   Many thanks in advance.

BTC

Hi Bruce

Found what I was looking for here at £9.12 plus P&P.  However, I'd still like the Sullivan metal clevis opening tool that is shown here if your son/you is/are able to sort out a supply.  Happy to wait till June as I know that US post sometimes gets deeply stuck into customs clearance.  

Thanks

Peter

Printed a couple of pairs yesterday - one for the flight box and another for the workshop. Used both my workshop ones today - the long arm version was particularly useful for working on a throttle clevis - and they are really effective and worked even better than expected!  For the workshop pair I modified the stl to add a 6mm hole in the tip of one arm of each to hang them on a hook for easy location. 

Thanks Ron.