Engine Test Stand

aidan mcatamney

Advert

Looks much like the kitchen chopping board to me.😁

My well used test stand, square tank glow, round tank diesel and the tiddler on upright is for radial mount 049 types. Snake for throttle control.

Some large screws fix it to the bench when required, you will need some fixing but not G clamps they will work loose. I once took it over to a mate who insisted his big clamp would be fine, when his 40 glow pulled itself loose and flew towards him😬 he changed his mind.

aeroplanes test stand.JPG

• Like 1

Yes, having it secured to the bench is of utmost importance.  An old dear friend recently passed last year unfortunately lost a finger when a large fourstroke he was testing moved forward and he reached out his hand unwittingly.   I will be drilling four holes and in those holes will go four 5mm bolts with washers and underneath wing screws.  All will be bolted down to a heavyweight table.  I'm flying 37 years, mainly glow engines and this is my first test stand as I always test them on the planes.  I like your stand by the way.  Good job.  

1 hour ago, Manish Chandrayan said:

Aidan

If you intend to use the stand for glow fuel with any amount of nitro, you may consider 2K Poly coat (if not already done so). All other Poly coats will eventually break down with nitromethane.     

Thanks Manish.  But no I'm not using any nitro at all .  I have four gallon of Model Technics straight castor that I am going to be running through two different OS 46fx engines .  The rest of my two stroke engines which are all OS 55ax models are bolted to my planes.  For these engines I use Optifuel 12 when I'm flying.   

Just a little word of caution for those thar use workmates to hold the test stands. Make sure that the workmate it pegged or tied down before starting your engines. I have seen them being dragged along on hard durfaces and tip over on grass despite the opperator bring warned. 

Edited by Engine Doctor

This is mine. It’s 500mm long and 130mm wide. One end is glow, the other to run petrol. I’ve fitted tachometer, cheap Rx , and switches. The throttle servo has 2 pairs of blind nuts under the frame and two sets of drilled holes in the servo bracket, giving some variation in throttle arm positions.  The tanks sit in a hole and simply zip tied . There are holes for 2 x 8mm carriage bolts

Copy if you like. Only cost me the glow engine mount. 

E0BCBE43-EA2F-4B99-9398-FE951B835EBC.jpeg

5A3C7E8E-3DF8-44F3-8C51-2EDB64B597F0.jpeg

AB36D3ED-DE41-4B66-8298-D250BD508F14.jpeg

Edited by cymaz

20 hours ago, Engine Doctor said:

Just a little word of caution for those thar use workmates to hold the test stands. Make sure that the workmate it pegged or tied down before starting your engines. I have seen them being dragged along on hard durfaces and tip over on grass despite the opperator bring warned. 

And elastics to make sure that your G clamps don't come undone, especially with petrol and 4 strokes.