Club payments.

Cuban8

As Membership Secretary for our club, I've just been doing some tidying up of paperwork and memberships etc. We have 90 members and this year only about 15% of those members paid by cheque. Everyone else preferring BACS transfers. We don't really accept cash anymore and haven't had any of the folding stuff at all anyway for two or three years. (Covid).

Are other clubs seeing something similar - just curious.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

Advert

19 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

France is different, our club is 90% cheques, the rest in cash.

How strange! Any particular reason? Does this reflect a similar trend across other areas of how the French pay bills or subscriptions etc? I carry a tenner in my wallet - just in case - although for what, I don't know. It never gets spent,  but usually finishes up with the grand kids when we see them!

Such a high number of cheques to process must be a pain for whoever does the membership, particularly in a fairly large club.

The all on line BMFA admin for membership and insurance has worked well for our members - only a couple of issues that were easily resolved - and I think we only have two members that need hard copy of their docs as they are not internet connected - easily sorted.

Edited by Cuban8

2 minutes ago, Nick Cripps said:

We had 105 renewals in our club this year. Breakdown is:

Bank transfer 84

Cheque 12

Cash 4

Honorary 5

Same sort of spread as our club - will probably go further towards bank transfers as time goes on. Every new member we've taken over the last few years has paid by BACS.

Hard to believe that twenty+ years ago I'd collect a couple of grand in cheques and fifteen hundred quid in cash at our very well attended (around 50 or so) AGM.

WE haven't been to France since 2016 but I was surprised to see French supermarket customers paying by cheque. Here it's usually card or, occasionally, cash for small items.

My wife retired as the local cycle club treasurer this year after about 30 years.  We used to get most of our personal cash from that paid in either at the club room for tea/coffee/cake or evening TT entry fees (we just wrote a cheque to cover it) but after the lock-downs both cash and cheque payments dried up in favour of bank transfers etc.  She handled £1000s each year mainly for club clothing but she's very good at financial management (makes my life a lot easier because I find it totally boring 🙂 ).

35 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

Subscription service?

Clubs can use a JustGo Pro service in the BMFA portal enabling club members to set up a subscription for their club fees.

I wondered if any other clubs are using it and what they think?

10 hours ago, PDB said:

Clubs can use a JustGo Pro service in the BMFA portal enabling club members to set up a subscription for their club fees.

I wondered if any other clubs are using it and what they think?

There was a presentation about this on a BMFA In the Air Tonight series a couple of years ago. For clubs who use it, it was very highly rated. It also provides lots of extras that you might never use! We ruled it out at the time because it would cost us about the same as 2 anual memberships

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Masher said:

There was a presentation about this on a BMFA In the Air Tonight series a couple of years ago. For clubs who use it, it was very highly rated. It also provides lots of extras that you might never use! We ruled it out at the time because it would cost us about the same as 2 anual memberships

I'd forgotten about that option - I don't think it's something we'd bother with and I've never had any of our club members ask about it.