The way we were...

Peter Christy

Imagine running a flying event in a similar manner these days. Sundry 'elf 'n' safety officials and hi-viz busy bodys would shut it down at a stroke. A different and much more regulated world now - even flying toy 'planes. Great video - quite a few similar modelling films from around that era have been transferred from cine and put up on Youtube if one cares to search.

Some modelling content on this weekend's TPTV 'footage detectives' as well.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

Yep ! Clapham Common Long Pond circa 1969 - lots of gents properly dressed in suits /ties bending over their boats with contents of jacket top pocket going in the lake 😂😂😂As I wore a suit for the day job I didn’t subscribe to a suit at weekends so stuff fell out of shirt pocket instead !!😂😂😂Memories eh ?? Colin

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

Imagine running a flying event in a similar manner these days. Sundry 'elf 'n' safety officials and hi-viz busy bodys would shut it down at a stroke. A different and much more regulated world now - even flying toy 'planes. Great video - quite a few similar modelling films from around that era have been transferred from cine and put up on Youtube if one cares to search.

Some modelling content on this weekend's TPTV 'footage detectives' as well.

I'd like to add that although I'm not a fan of much of the H&S, form filling and clipboard carrying hi-viz gang when they get the bit between their teeth, I also don't relish the thought of a free for all, and do welcome sensible precautions to reduce the chances of accidents and injury. Very often a moment's inadvertent thoughtlessness or inattention and perhaps  within the best regulated environment, can have such devastating consequences as might have been the case from the recent news of a model flying accident in Spain.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

One finds a tweed jacket, plus fours and stout Oxfords so practical for retrieving wayward models in rough country areas. 

I was only saying this morning, after watching a video of my old club, meeting on the local park in 1937, that the obligatory uniform of smart sports jacket, tie, tank top, grey flannels, polished brogues and trilby hat was seemingly only modified by the addition of a gaberdine mac when it was raining.

59 minutes ago, leccyflyer said:

I was only saying this morning, after watching a video of my old club, meeting on the local park in 1937, that the obligatory uniform of smart sports jacket, tie, tank top, grey flannels, polished brogues and trilby hat was seemingly only modified by the addition of a gaberdine mac when it was raining.

Similar attire was essential for most |British males when spending a day on the beach as seen in many old home movies.

23 hours ago, Colin Carpenter said:

Yep ! Clapham Common Long Pond circa 1969 - lots of gents properly dressed in suits /ties bending over their boats with contents of jacket top pocket going in the lake 😂😂😂As I wore a suit for the day job I didn’t subscribe to a suit at weekends so stuff fell out of shirt pocket instead !!😂😂😂Memories eh ?? Colin

I remember going to Clapham Common pond every weekend from about 1960- 61 with my boats until motorbikes , girls and work took over, in that order 😉. Rc was a luxury then and Alan Greenfield of Weston UK was a regular at the pond, his dad built me my first RX after i bought a Tri-ang carrier wave Tx .  Then swapped stuff for a REP Tritone set . Happy days with f9nd memmorise. Ive often thought of visiting the pond but dont know if ic boats are still welcome an congestion charge puts me off

Hi ED. We have reminisced over the Long Pond b4. Alan’s dad , George , took me under his wing and sold me a grp hull  for 10 bob which I powered with an HP 40 and took to Hove and won my first multi boat race with. An absolute gentleman with generous nature with us youngsters at the pond side ! Strangely enough a hill  on flea bay looks like it - maybe it is ??? Colin

• Like 1