Pesky Birds

These are yellow billed kites that we have during the summer months. for the most part they don't bother us and we often thermal together But we do have a pair that returns each year to their nest close to our club and they are quite protective of their airspace. This was taken last summer, they are due to return sometime in September...

Mods, if the music contravenes rules, please delete..

• Like 3

Advert

We have Buzzards nesting quite close to our ‘strip and more recently (last couple of years)  lovely Red Kites. The Buzzards ignore us but the Red Kites take exception to some models , those with tapered wing tips, Bixler, Radian types. Such a joy to see them though.

• Like 1

Most birds aren't bothered by model aircraft but I have encountered some aggressive responses from a couple of Red Kites if/when they see my Funjet Ultra dawdling around at low speeds.   

The model has a fairly aggressive appearance and the Kites probably see it as a threat. 

Never mind. . . . Ramming the throttle open and climbing vertically at about 160mph tends to make them change their mind about engaging in combat.  🤣

When I fly my electric micro bee at home in the summer a hoard of Swallows come up to chase it out of their sky. Have about ten pairs nesting in the farm buildings.

If I fly an IC like my Mills 75 powered Cardinal little interest is shown.