My next assembly ( The sequel ) ..... The Phoenix Domino EP

toto

Thanks Ron,

I will be taking the whole assembly apart again tonight to re - fix the landing gear so I will ensure that the captive nuts have a good splash of thread lock. 

Grumpy, the photo showing the connection detail was actually slightly " outdated " as I posted it. I have used a z bend on this. I didn't like the look of the original either. :classic_biggrin:

Cheers

Toto

Edited by toto

Advert

Ok .... its nearly shed time.

Tonight's workload ....

Strip out the front end and reinstall the nose gear.

Reinstall the front end and include thread lock and no things up nice and tight

Install aileron horns etc and connect up to servos. Check servo arms as I think the one presently on are too short. Longer ones required so swap over.

Charge nicd batteries with new charger that arrived today.

That should tonight's activities about done.

See you in the shed

Cheers

Toto

He's no lightweight .....:classic_biggrin: a member of special branch by any chance?

Mine would run a mile if you asked her to drag that tree around. :classic_biggrin:

You'll need to send him up to give mine a bit training. ....... spot on.

Cheers

Toto

So ..... I started to tackle the jobs for tonight and thought I'd start with something straight forward .... so the aileron servo's were hit first. 

Very mixed feelings about this. 

started off by aligning the wing fixing horn and push rod to match the servos geometry ...

P1110148.thumb.JPG.07eb392ef5f8b8f27a88c4ec2637e655.JPG

screwed the clevis onto the push rod. I changed the plastic clevis out for a metal one and cut a bit fuel tubing to provide that extra bit protection. ......

2052887376_P1110146(1).thumb.JPG.189eca770852fcfe7da5da1d191300f5.JPG

formed a right angled bend in the push rod to meet the entry hole on the servo horn, cut it to suit and inserted through the horn and the push rod clasp as supplied with the model .......

P1110149.thumb.JPG.56a129ebad267d26bb3ccca00de32a0c.JPG

That's the part I don't like. the rod does poke through the end of the clasp ..... just. I think its too short but leave it much longer and it interferes with the servo mounting hatch. You can see where the push rod was catching until I cut it shorter. the whole assembly looks a bit ..... squint and I dont have a lot of confidence in that lasting through use.

P1110151.thumb.JPG.0c532a288ab22e5c2e9105d58f54dbc8.JPG

a photo of the whole installation. Both wings have been done. 

I may revisit this with a slightly thinner push rod which may make the radius of the 90 degree bend a bit sharper and allow a better all round fit.

It does work and the throw movement is good in both directions but the proof will be in the testing of the servo's etc when I get power to it and try and programme in the throw movement limitations in the transmitter. there could be a bit binding or whinning. At least I am aware of this .... potential issue..

So now ..... back to the work on the motor and front landing gear.

I'll hopefully get back with an update on that later tonight..... it could take a bit of time.

toto  

OK ..... nearly done for tonight .....

I P1110152.thumb.JPG.c91f753b86bc7fa777fa6a168f4234c9.JPG

I installed this before I lost it ...😄 totally crap ..... no grip at all .... need to do something here but that's for later.

started with this .....

P1110153.thumb.JPG.0a23007db3703b8b01ff20be9b7d82a5.JPG

whipped it all off and installed the nose gear ....

P1110154.thumb.JPG.c8955a989bd9a266c58ff1525ceeb4b6.JPG

note .... the Z bend .....

P1110155.thumb.JPG.803014b1a2df5c5a6ca0be8753cbc553.JPG

previously .... we had this .....

P1110156.thumb.JPG.9cd5a831d1552193608ad487aecf5509.JPG

the screws were not even passing through the Nylock nuts ..... so ..... we now have this .....

P1110158.thumb.JPG.779265d13f5a1fae3323512e98974abd.JPG

much better .....

P1110159.thumb.JPG.66eeac1c2f525b9876441a113068a0e2.JPG

took some of this .....

P1110160.thumb.JPG.5688a4a68da27ba69136002fd3f79a4e.JPG

and done this ......

P1110161.thumb.JPG.7143acefb84122a582979f86458e961c.JPG

to get a better version of this .....

P1110162.thumb.JPG.d436e4218e64d6d1bca0ac693402c0a9.JPG

and everything is so much better .... nylocks .... thread lock ..... Z bends ..... dare I say ...... what more can you ask for ....😁 I am sure there will be 101 answers to that. 😄 never mind I'm bracing myself.

cheers for now .....

toto

• Like 2

Forgot to mention ...... whilst I was doing all that ........ I was also doing this .....

P1110163.thumb.JPG.0f9de62881d44b058baa912e5196902c.JPG

with my new battery charger .....

P1110164.thumb.JPG.d3722e6acee789437693defd4b681eaf.JPG

I'm on my third receiver battery and after this ... I'll charge the one I borrowed last weekend for testing the Arising Star .... I think its the least I can do to return it fully charged.

cheers

toto

Ohhhhhh man.

another step backwards ..... but never mind ..... I will have a quick going over tomorrow and see where I can swap them out for something else ..... and you call YOURSELF the learner ..... can we swap names please. 😄

cheers 

toto

2 minutes ago, toto said:

Ohhhhhh man.

another step backwards ..... but never mind ..... I will have a quick going over tomorrow and see where I can swap them out for something else ..... and you call YOURSELF the learner ..... can we swap names please. 😄

cheers 

toto

I could tell you how to make that work but I'd get castigated by the grub screw police!😔

• Haha 1

The last task for tonight .....

The servo's for the rudder and nose gear ......

P1110165.thumb.JPG.16a90740c74983d6770487c922ff0cde.JPG

apologies for the blurry image ..... cut both push rods and formed Z bends in both rudder and nose gear.

If the rudder is slightly out .... I can adjust the clevis .... The nose gear has Z bends at both ends but I can assure you they are bang on the money.

I will tackle the aileron push rod adjustments tomorrow night and will need to look at the ESC as it came with deans connectors which I promptly cut orf and will need to solder EC5's on in order to be able to connect the battery ..... then .... show time ..... 😄

cheers for now .... or at least until I get back in doors....

toto 

I'm happy to have a go now.

Still have to get my head around transmitter / servo setups but one thing at a time. It's all slowly but surely sinking in.

I'll get this to the same place as the Arising Star .... ready to be tested prior to a maiden ... and crack on with the Tiger 60.

I just need some luck with the weather and getting more stick time.

Cheers

Toto

Edited by toto
  • Like 1

Looking ahead to tomorrow .....

1.     Revisit aileron push rods

2.    Solder ESC with EC5 ( not looking forward to that as the opening to accept the cable is poor at best ).

3.    Charge a suitable battery ( should have done that tonight ).

4.     Install the receiver

5.    Create a model for the Domino in my NX8 and look at some basic settings

What a scrappy workload, most of which I'm not confident in as yet but ..... I need to progress.

Bring on the weekend with hopefully some flying timec.... a welcome change from assembling models.

Cheers

Toto 

An alternative for two into 1 is to use the large electric choc block connectors. They have 2 screws each so much safer or for belt and braces use two that gives 4 screws per wire for no more weight that the supplied unit.   

Edited by Ace

Hi ace,

Now that is a good idea, maybe some of the smaller 5 amp variety, and ..... as you say ..... double up. I'll need to check my stock level. I was a spark before embarking on my QS career around 23 years ago. If I dont have any .... my brother will, he's a spark as well.

A couple of bright sparks we are you know. :classic_biggrin:

Thanks for posting up the suggestion.

Toto