Wot 4 Wing Dimensions

If it is still unjoined foam wings then it's important to draw around the wing root section to get the shape for a fuselage.   Once joined its too late and very difficult to match to a fuselage.   A 1 minute job before joining , an hour or more after!

I've still got my Wot 4 Mk3 which I built in the mid 90's. I glassed clothed the fuselage plus epoxy coated the inside & glosstext'd the flying surfaces which made it pretty much indestructible.

The dimensions you are looking for are:

Span 56" (142cm)

Centre chord 12.5" (32cm)

Tip chord 9.5" (24cm)

IMG_0081.thumb.jpg.e2980bb2f99966432cc9cf43e8b919cb.jpg

5 hours ago, Tosh McCaber said:

Just done the research that I should have before posting!  Parallel chord wing!  So I'm still at a loss as to what I have! 

I'll just make up a fuselage and tail feathers in the workshop to go with it!

I've got a parallel chord, old school Wot 4 Tosh, so will make those measurements once I get into the workshop tomorrow and let you know.

Tosh - some dimensions as promised - I've excluded the obvious balsa trailing edge and tips, but not the leading adge, as you can't see that under the film.

Classic Wot 4 parallel chord wing

1/2 span = 600mm (23.5") excluding wing tip

Winch chord - 240mm (9.5") excluding  balsa trailing edge

Wot 4 Mark III Tapered wing

1/2 span 710mm (28")

Root chord 280mm (11") excluding TE

Tip chord 200mm (8.5") excluding TE

Uno Wot wing

1/2 span 780mm (30.5") 

Root Chord 230mm (9") excluding TE

Tip Chord 175mm (7") excluding TE.

Hope that is useful, even if it is only useful in eliminating what you don't have. 

Looking at Ace's photo of his two wings I wonder if the caption is correct?   Is that really the Wot4 Mk3 on the left?  Or perhaps it is and the ARTF Acrowot is very different to kit built ones!  The Acrowot in the photo looks smaller in root chord than the Wot4........  My kit built Acrowot has a 12 inch root chord which is more than the 11 inch specified by Leccyflier for the tapered wing Wot4 Mk 3. 

So a kit built Acrowot has a 12 inch root, 8.5 tip and 57 inch span - depending on how it's built.   Some people might sand the cores to allow dihedral or just to fit maybe changing the span a bit. .   They might also cut away the balsa TE to make a parallel part where it fits on fuselage changing the root chord measurement of a finished wing.

Anyway there should be enough data to allow Tosh to know whether has a Wot wing or not.

Note that, since Tosh was working with foam cores the specs I gave him was for the chord, minus the balsa trailing edge, which is about an inch wide on the Wot 4. I can't see, under the covering, how wide the leading edge strip is - I suspect half an inch.

That said - if the foam cores are from a Wot 4 there is a chance that they have been cut at home - which used to happen quite a bit - as my recollection is that to get a cowl, or a wing, from Chris Foss, you needed to provide a lot more than just name, rank and serial number, precicely to try to cut down on the number of knock-off copies of the Wottie. I had a clubmate back in the day, who had been learnign to fly for years, used to break his Wot -4 every weekend, then repair it for the next weekend. If it was a particularly spectacular arrival -once or twice a month - he'd build a new one from scratch, before the next flying session.

Edited by leccyflyer

The bare foam cores for an Acrowot should be 10.75 inch chord at root  and then 1/4 inch balsa LE and 1.5 TE ( aileron stock) added.  When trimmed and LE rounded it became 12inch at fuselage.  Thickness at root is 2inches.  Thickness at tip is 1 and 7/16 inch ( 1/16 under 1.5inch ) I have just measured my template produced by drawing around a genuine Acrowot kit wing ( for use in case of accident! )

The Wot4 tapered wing may well be just the same as an Acrowot with slight change at tips ( angle of cut ) and Tosh's core will surely make a good high wing model if its anything like this spec.   Note that a standard wing could not be used alternately on either model once built -  a high wing would have the central servo underneath and low wing on top.   Plus any raking of torque rods to give differential would be opposite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kc said:

The bare foam cores for an Acrowot should be 10.75 inch chord at root  and then 1/4 inch balsa LE and 1.5 TE ( aileron stock) added.  When trimmed and LE rounded it became 12inch at fuselage.  Thickness at root is 2inches.  Thickness at tip is 1 and 7/16 inch ( 1/16 under 1.5inch ) I have just measured my template produced by drawing around a genuine Acrowot kit wing ( for use in case of accident! )

The Wot4 tapered wing may well be just the same as an Acrowot with slight change at tips ( angle of cut ) and Tosh's core will surely make a good high wing model if its anything like this spec.   Note that a standard wing could not be used alternately on either model once built -  a high wing would have the central servo underneath and low wing on top.   Plus any raking of torque rods to give differential would be opposite.

That's correct in theory.  Don't ask what happened with my first low winger though......:D

I won't ask then  -  I assume you just put the servo under the wing  but it would be worse if you got the differential the wrong way round!     Putting two small servos side by side in the central cutout would be a way to get differential right and would seem better anyway than hacking into a foam wing to fit 2 servos out in the wing.

• Like 1

Ah well, At last, climbed up to the loft. 

I now have the dims of all variations that you've mentioned in your posts  (thanks for every variation Leccy!)  Unfortunately, none match the core wings that I have, which are-

Span 31"  Root chord 8.5"  Tip chord 6.5", with bevels on the lower sides of the wing tips

I guess I'll plot a fuselage around the wings!

Thanks for all the input anyway- it seems to have made for good chat, as always, in the forum!

I posted the dimensions of the Uno Wot wing above. If the leading edge were 1/2" stock balsa then that would indeed pretty much fit the dimensions that Tosh cited. From memory, the angled tip plates were 1/4" balsa. If Tosh wants to bring the cores to the field I'll bring my retired UNo Wot and we can compare the section.