My Next Assembly ( The Trilogy ) Phoenix 60 EP

toto

Advert

Sorry maybe picked up Peter's post wrong.

I have used a watt meter when testing the set up whilst run ing the prop at full speed. Hence the two sets of figures. One set whilst no prop running and one set with prop running full speed.

Does that clarify ?

Toto

That's a very good point Simon - this is a powerful, potent set up and probably not ideal for getting familiar with the operations of electric power systems, where most beginners would be starting with simpler, more forgiving set ups.

Toto - as you are going to be away for the week you are best not charging your batteries until you return.

1 hour ago, Learner said:

Confused

Learner, my question about using a watt meter when doing full power checks was meant for you not Toto.  You expressed surprise at the voltage drop from the off load figure.  So, I asked if you had any experience of using a watt meter when doing a full power check.  The reason for my question is that you seem to be questioning the voltage drop Toto reported on max power so the question is how much do you know about this or are you just posing a question?  That's all.

3 minutes ago, Peter Jenkins said:

Learner, my question about using a watt meter when doing full power checks was meant for you not Toto.  You expressed surprise at the voltage drop from the off load figure.  So, I asked if you had any experience of using a watt meter when doing a full power check.  The reason for my question is that you seem to be questioning the voltage drop Toto reported on max power so the question is how much do you know about this or are you just posing a question?  That's all.

Hi Peter, yes I have experience with a watt meter but have never noticed such a high voltage drop under power

Maybe I have concentrated on watts and amps figures

If a battery drops to 3.6v from fully charged  under full throttle what voltage does it drop to when its down to 40% capacity and full throttle is applied?

It does look powerful but the 4s battery was only throwing out just over 400 watts which I dont think is adequate for the weight of the model. Apart from increasing up to a 6s battery..... what are my options.

Prop size cant get much bigger for clearance reasons.

I am not particularly wanting huge power but enough for the model to fly adequately . I also dont intend going around on full throttle all the time.

Toto

Hi Leccy,

No worries. I really dont intend flying it anytime soon. If anything I would get my mentor to check it over and maiden it. He seems quite willing. .... Then ..... and can be shelved until later. My Domino, beaver and Sky 40 give me plenty options although my first consideration until I am more compotent is the Domino.

Its fit for purpose, stable, tested and maidened. All is good 

Toto

• Like 3

Simon,

Sorry for the late reply.

I understand your concern. As I've said ..... I'm only building it for now with the intention of shelving it once built, checked and tested. It will just be there .... good to go when my skills are.

Any flying, or maiden flight will be by others. With regards to the level of power it has, the throttle level can be reigned in via settings on the transmitter as well in order to limit the max power available. I would probably look at doing that as well as part of this initial set up. When doing it, I can retest with a watt meter to show the drop in power as a result of any jew transmitter settings.

All good stuff.

Toto

• Like 2

17 hours ago, toto said:

P1120429.thumb.JPG.41d3da153a228451f344bba0d8e2c377.JPG

note that I cut one of the snakes outers back at the cross member nearest the servo bay ..... should have gave it a couple of more inches. I did rethink it as I done snakes 2 and 3 ....

P1120431.thumb.JPG.3362c1ef5150f1f686f50775897543ea.JPG

and there we go ..... all 3 snakes installed and not to much flexibility accepted. 

Sorry, I'm calling this now, that install is a disaster waiting to happen.

Far too much unsupported plastic tube, it will flex, you will have no control, this will not end well.

Stop. Return to the solid pushrods this thing came with. Learn to walk before running. Refer to the manual:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/965559/Phoenix-Model-Tiger-60.html?page=5#manual

This shows the location the elevator horns should be, right up close to the inboard edge of the elevator, pic #49.

Pic #50, shows what the pushrods should look like when installed. Note, straight.

Follow these instructions exactly for best results. As a lone beginner, with no experienced guidance on hand, you need to do this as per instructions; with experience you gain knowledge of why these things are done in that way.

Edited by Nigel R
  • Like 2

The outers are supported along its run by going through tight holes in the fuselage framework supports vacated by the push rods. That's why I opened up the covering, to access the cross bracing to feed the snakes through. I had to open up the holes a little as the snakes were slightly thicker than the push rods.

Just for clarity ..... these snakes have not been left to loosely meander their way along the inside of the fuselage.

I will try to photograph as far into the fuselage as I can on my return from the Netherlands on Friday. Admittedly, it looks like I have cut the outers a bit on the short side ..... and ...I could as suggested above fix in another cross brace support nearer the servo tray.

Toto

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toto said:

Any more takers on the above ?

I think you should hide it all under your bench and concentrate on your trainer(s). Forget about all the other models and learn to fly. Repair and fettle your trainers and fly them, and fly them to death. Then think about the next model.

• Like 4

Well, seeing as you're part way through.....you need only just enough inner exposed to allow full travel without binding. The outers should be anchored securely, as near to their ends as possible. If necessary, you can add another piece of outer (securely anchored) - at the servo end means few people will see it🙂

No worries Nigel. 

No matter what .... it's always best getting all opinions regardless. At least I can VAT on it. I have ordered 3 more snakes of the same type. I will demonstrate the various points where the various snakes are tethered and  look at adding another in the servo area.

Cheers

Toto

• Like 1