My Next Assembly ( The Trilogy ) Phoenix 60 EP

toto

You will love them Toto.  I've been using them for a good number of years now and they make life so easy .  As I said in the above, I use the 14mm servo screws for fixing servos in the plane and I use the 16mm heavy duty servo screws for bolting down the saddle straps that hold your landing gear in place.  

• Like 1

Advert

So,

Should be back in the shed tonight after what I hope will he a day of flying my Arising Star. It should he her Maiden today all going well.

Tonight it will he installing the electrics, ESC, receiver etc , doing a few checks on the servos and testing things out.

I still need to look at my dodgy push rod installation for the rudder and elevator control horns as yet. Not sure what is going to become of that. ..... maybe .... tonight will reveal that secret. :classic_biggrin:

Let's wait and see. Hopefully report back tonight.

Cheers

Toto

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So,

I had my mentor / instructor around for a visit about a week ago. Whilst he was here he took a look at this Phoenix Eap 60 and my issue with the dodgy elevator pushrod scenario.

Looks like I will be changing the pushrod out and refitting the horn to be at 90 degrees. This will require  double offset in the rod and filling in the previously created holes for the horn.

I think I know what I am doing now to get this assembly over the line and ready for setting up for a maiden.

I'll be back in the shed at some point soon to do the remedial works.

I'm not sure if I will get away with straightening and reusing the same push 4od or if I'll need to buy two new ones, we'll see. ..... to be confirmed.

Toto

• Like 1

Ok,

a mixed bag tonight. I removed the previous attempt at the elevator push rod assembly ...... which looked like .... this ....

P1110567.thumb.JPG.c83f19e4cd8ac5deed700333edb7876f.JPG

and the geometry was clearly incorrect. So off they came and new holes drilled for the horn to straighten it out ....

P1110568.thumb.JPG.5d4a7f05dcc937d204bb65e416a73f1e.JPG

as you can see i will have a repair to do on the covering .... no big deal.

lined the horn up with the centre of the elevator join ....

P1110570.thumb.JPG.0e966cd50864ae6528f904509c18d86c.JPG

and the same with the other side .....

P1110574.thumb.JPG.6e3b190ad1f11b491f6ef182a968e844.JPG

but ...... the push rod bends left a lot to be desired .......

P1110572.thumb.JPG.f51ef9df72c1ab358f6a03db0ed48e28.JPG

a real dogs dinner ...... so ....... I'll order in a couple more and make a decent job of them. i don't want to mess around with them any more as they will end up looking even worse and for a new model ..... it's not on..... so replacements will be sourced..... what a mess.☹️

never mind ... as soon as I get the replacements and get them installed properly ...... we should be ready to set the servos up again ready for putting forward for a maiden.

that will give me this model and the Domino ready for test flights / adjustments etc.

thats all for now

toto.

• Like 1

Hi Outrunner,

That's a thought. I would need to have a look to see if there is a suitable location for fixing them to. I had been thinking that even if the long pushrods had worked out, it must be exerting a bit of stress on the servos. 

Two angled bends and a diagonal run over that distance can't be good in general. I'll have a look and see what can be done ...... good shout. 

Toto

2 hours ago, toto said:

Hi Outrunner,

That's a thought. I would need to have a look to see if there is a suitable location for fixing them to. I had been thinking that even if the long pushrods had worked out, it must be exerting a bit of stress on the servos. 

Two angled bends and a diagonal run over that distance can't be good in general. I'll have a look and see what can be done ...... good shout. 

Toto

Hi Toto, this is a photo of my Tiger 40,  the younger brother of the Tiger 60.  The way I have the elevator rods connected have kept the plane flying well at this angle.  Hope this helps.  

20230908_004359.jpg

6 minutes ago, toto said:

Hi Aidan,

Am I correct in saying that your rods have not had any additional bends built in ? They look pretty straight to me with only the horns slightly offset but still above the wing joint line.

Cheers

Toto

That is correct Toto.  There are no additional bends built in and the horns just slightly offset.   

The servos where they are, with long pushrods, will be absolutely fine as long as the wires move freely. That saves you cutting holes in your fuselage, potentially weakening it, and removes any balance issues.

I'd leave 'modifying' kits until you have a little more experience.

Just my opinion of course.

• Like 1

I agree with GG, maybe fitting rear mounted servos is a ‘bridge too far’ at this stage. However an alternative, which is fairly straightforward to fit, is a pushrod transfer arm - SLEC

image.jpeg.d55d65e8922a535cc836f5f2c6be1f1b.jpeg

I would suggest against a pushrod without any bends in it as it would rub on the exit slot in the fuselage and it would also curve out to the horn. Any unsupported curve in a pushrod is to be avoided as this can introduce flex allowing control surface flutter.

Edited by Ron Gray

The other thing about moving the elevator servo to the tail will mean the CG will be moved rewards.  It might still be an OK position or might not.  You would need to check to see if there is a range of CG given.  Worst case is you would need to add weight as far forward as possible to bring the CG to an acceptable position.

• 2 months later...

I've just ordered some snakes from SLEC 

I have them in the SKY 40 and think they will work well here as well. Cant he any worse than what I have.

I'll get them fitted when they arrive and try them out. I'd like to get this header finished and set up properly. My mentor can do shy test flying for me just to confirm all is well. He done a great job of advising with the final set up of the Domino just before maidening 

Toto

• Like 1

Just done the power conversion on this.

Weight is 3.8 to 4.2 KG which equals about 8.5 to 9 lbs

So this would be requiring about 900 watts of power at 100 watts per pound of weight

I'm running it on a rimfire 60

80A ESC

6s 5000 man batteries.

I need to look back at the recommended prop size for this and get it set up on the stand to check it out on the Watt Meter ( my new best freind after John Smith and my Icelandic mate ).

Toto

Had a look on a a prop sizing site and they say 11 x 6 to 12 x 8 for the 0.60 size model.

That could be a good enough starting point in which to try out the Watt Meter on. 

I'll likely try both as I am sure I have both sizes available on APC e props.

It might be a 12 x 8 that is currently on it, albeit a master air screw prop  ..... I'll check.

Toto

2 minutes ago, toto said:

Had a look on a a prop sizing site and they say 11 x 6 to 12 x 8 for the 0.60 size model.

That could be a good enough starting point in which to try out the Watt Meter on. 

I'll likely try both as I am sure I have both sizes available on APC e props.

It might be a 12 x 8 that is currently on it, albeit a master air screw prop  ..... I'll check.

Toto

Thats a low kv motor so will probably need a bigger prop but again clearance is your enemy.

I imagine your prop sizing site represents i.c 

OK ..... so .... I'm checking out the tiger 60 set up ....

We are using .....

P1120392.thumb.JPG.592de800b6233c0340b810469b54c602.JPG

and ....

P1120397.thumb.JPG.34e751bcc4c51358034d066f752fed62.JPG

and ......

P1120393.thumb.JPG.8455ef6a48a2eae950a770190a51f26d.JPG

and .....

P1120396.thumb.JPG.c7eb0080d09db2595a2ce4da1b0f3fe3.JPG

and we have this .....

P1120394.thumb.JPG.031d23f44b113a4ca1141101e6770cca.JPG

so .... I slipped in the watt meter and here are the results .....

Unloaded ......

00.00 A            23.90 V 

264.5 WP         00.00 W

00.002 AH

00.00 WH

11.06 AP

22.50 WM

Loaded with prop running full pelt 

13.37 A            22.78 V

409.50 WP       297.00 W

00.157 AH

03.80 WH

17.67 AP

22.24 WM

so ..... do the maths ..... for its 8.5 to 9.0 lb weight ..... its only drawing around 35 watts per pound ....... just does not pay the rent.....

Prop size ????

toto

• Like 1