Natural progression heading into the winter months

toto

5thanks for that Earlybird,

Having had a very quick look through the list .... I have a few of the smaller parts with regards to nylock, T nuts and a few other bits and pieces.

I also have 4s batteries, about 4 of them but I'll need to check which ones. Off to a flying start ( excuse the pun ) already.

Cheers

Toto

Thanks again Earlybird.

I've had a very quick glance at the plans and they are not too scary. Please dont confuse that comment with easy. :classic_biggrin: but most of the big ticket items are pre-formed. 

As long as I take my time and just double and triple check everything I do and stick to some sort of order, ..... what could possibly go wrong ..... :classic_laugh: oh man ..... I even amaze myself at times.

Toto

7 minutes ago, toto said:

what could possibly go wrong

Nothing that can't be fixed, is what I have learned.

Sarik will provide all the wood parts that are shown on the plan, the AWP will contain more than enough sheet and strip wood for the build.

Steve

Jesus .... my heads in this already,

I'm looking at how the aileron is fixed to the wings trailing edge.

I'm guessing its via some kind of hinge that's fixed to the top of bothered the aileron and the wing top surface.

So far, it's the only thing that I am not sure about. .... ahem ..... that does not mean to say that there wont be a plethora of questions nearer the time. :classic_biggrin:

8 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Oh, if you have the kits already, then build them - no point in spending more money...

The Cub is probably the least challenging build. The Tiger Moth (the larger one?) caused me some head-scratching moments, but there are a couple of good blogs on here to help you.  I suspect the Camel will be most difficult, especially when it comes to balancing and flying.

GG.

Toto is hoping to become a "real" modeller like the rest of us.

How do you expect him to do that if you keep encouraging him to build all his kits.

That's no way to develop a "stash".

:classic_rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, toto said:

I'm not sure how long these kits take from order as I think they are made to order but I will try and get  a copy of the plan to see what I have let myself in for.

Cheers

Toto

Good idea to have a copy of the original plan to hand anyway - not usually too expensive from a local copy/photo shop. Makes things so much easier when building over the original plan and you need to look up something that's hidden. Sarik are pretty pronto - I've not waited much longer than a couple of weeks for a short kit and plan.

I like your choice - a little challenging as a first plan/kit, mainly because of the parasol wing and cabanes that keep it square and aligned, but nothing that can't be done with a little care and attention. - measuring twice, three times, four times and then cutting! At least you've only got one wing to worry about and not two......or three 😉

One step ahead John ... :classic_biggrin:

I've found it and the question fest has started already on the original posting. :classic_biggrin:

It looks a really nice model to build. If I can do it some sort of justice, I will be delighted.

Hopefully, by the time I have it built, I'll can actually fly .... :classic_biggrin: and will be able to manage some lovely low level stuff ...... slow .... sedate ..... " tally ho Roger "

Toto

• Like 1

20 hours ago, toto said:

So ..... we have nearly busted the backside out of July.

My current plans in terms of flying are flagging a bit due mostly to weather ..... in July ...... it's something that we cant control and with the exception of the use of a SIM cant progress no matter what level of com fitment or enthusiasm you have.

This has a knock 9n effect to other facets of the hobby that you maybe interested in such as the assembly of your kits as there is no point in rushing too far ahead of yourself building kits of an increased complexity beyond your skills and / or actual time of need. Even to have too many kits that may fall into the " suitable to fly category " doesn't make sense as you are probably just risking the potential for hanger rash as they sit there unemployed in storage.

I am co ing to the end of my stash of trainer type assemblies with my next build a Tiger 60 and finally a Phoenix Spacewalker. They will be completed well before winter sets in ..... so what is the natural progression from these ARTF kits that I can amuse myself with over the winter period

So far .... I think the next step will be another ARTF but this time with a little more involvement that I know will take a bit longer and start progressively introducing myself to something just a little more difficult.

Enter stage left .... the Dancing Wings J3 Cub ( still a reasonably sensible stable type ) or from the same stable..... the Tiger Morh or Sopworth Camel. A bit more to assemble and getting a crack at covering and some simpler balsa fetling etc. I have all the motors, ESC's, servos etc for all of these.

what's your thoughts .... I will need something to amuse me and keep me in loved when the weather al, but gives up for the year.

Toto

Wow what a load of doom and gloom, well it must be all down hill as we are past day 201 leaving only 164 days left to the end of the year and it won't be any better for the first 4 months of next year either. Its not like this happens every year, but wait a moment it does happen every year!

How about build a WooHoo, easy to build , a bit of covering practice and it will fly in almost anything the British weather can chuck at it. Hand launch and on low rates is very stable, high rates and it is WooHoo!. If you want something bigger then Lindsey Todd's Renaissance (designed to use lots of different building skills and a nice follow on from a high wing foam thing) or a Peter Miller design. Could you be tempted to the dark side of twins with an electric Grumpy Tiger Cub, my young apprentice 🤣

PS I have amassed 274 flights this year to date and a good chuck has been training others, so in my book its a case of making the most of any time that you can fly!

PPS don't forget a model with LED's for flying when its dark...great fun!...oh and skis for the snow.. tried floats yet? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At our club we fly the whole year round.  If its a wet or windy day we still meet up at the club hut for a cup of tea, a bun and a chat.  Every Saturday,  there's at least 8 cars at the flying field, rain , hail or shine.  I've always found that some of the best flying weather is in the dead of Winter when you get some really nice calm days.   Yes grant it, it can be cold, but just hap up warm with plenty of clothes and Bobs Your Uncle.  

I'll probably do the same Aidan as long qs someone is up there. We run a WhatsApp to inform of the weather so folks know what's what and who's there. 

As you say, even if it's just to chew the fat one have a coffee. ..... what's the alternative  ..... sit in the house ?

I'll run with my winter project but mostly evenings. Maybe if the weather is that bad, days at the weekends as well but I think you can hit a saturation point and have to walk away for q while, especially if you hit a snag. Go and gather your thoughts and come back with a fresh head.

Anyway ..... let's not talk ourselves out of summer and autumn yet ..... it's only August ...,.:classic_biggrin: plenty of potential flying time left young forward.

Toto

• Like 1

So ..... for a break from the Tiger 60 assembly ..... I decided to check out the contents of the Kestrel delivery ....... nice big box ..... we can't resist them can we .... 😄

and here is what we have .......

P1110450.thumb.JPG.1aa51abebe05d7c0eb6bf838cffbac52.JPG

two tick / check lists of parts ( just showing one for now ).

P1110451.thumb.JPG.c1a2ed2dccfcf4fe02144fd7a0d24058.JPG

construction article which I have had a very quick flick through ..... this will undoubtedly come in very handy ......

P1110444.thumb.JPG.52f4b6087770ec2d46a7f2de09ed1ded.JPG

full scale working drawing sheets ......

P1110445.thumb.JPG.460a7a3b4e471e4e71d8ad57320db296.JPG

some laser cut part sheets and some plain balsa / ply sheets ......

P1110448.thumb.JPG.16e7bb77925fd458d1e0cac3636d03d8.JPG

more laser cut sheets ..... 

P1110446.thumb.JPG.495583e1aa1786ae39f031696fb54232.JPG

a wheen ( A wheen ... new unit of international measurement ...... remember .... I am a QS )  of 6mm2 framing stuff ......

P1110447.thumb.JPG.bb835964a5f107b27ac003516346dd95.JPG

and again .....

P1110449.thumb.JPG.ee1bc1a939b406e0cf6ce3df812ed4bc.JPG

a sheet of .... erm ..... more stuff ......assuming outer fuselage covering .....

and there we have it ............... don't look much like a plane to me .................. 

and its all back in its box for now .......

P1110442.thumb.JPG.a4b15717922811a30c86fd67e5018bee.JPG

where it belongs ....... 😄

just the hardware to work out albeit the very nice people at Sarik's can provide this as well with a checklist to check against to ensure that byou have everything you need to complete the build so I'll be procuring that at some time further down the road.

That's all for now ....... I've scared myself sufficiently for one night. 

toto 

• Like 2

Hi toto,

Good choice for a winter build, I have 3 of lindsays models under my belt .they all build really well and are as said above great flyers. My favourite being the skywriter that lindsay designed a few years back,  flys brilliant.

I Look forward to following along your build.

Many thanks Dan,

It's good to get reassurance that my victim is up to it. :classic_biggrin:

Do you have your builds on the forum. It would be good to have a look.

Either way, I'll look forward to having you on board when the build comes. Hopefully you can keep je in the right.:classic_biggrin:

Thanks again for your response

Toto

Unfortunately i dont have any build logs but I have some pics of them on here. my life is quite busy so don't have time to do any build logs im still working full time.

I haven't done any aeromodelling for a while but I am just getting back into it,

since seeing your post about building the kestrel I have taken a liking to it, so I may even make it my winter build aswell !

John's links may have pics of my builds

• Like 1

Hi Dan,

I'm still working full time albeit I normally work from home. I'm in between contracts at the moment having just finished my latest Client 2 weeks ago ....... the hunt is on for my next as we speak. ( squeaky bum time ) 

I understand the time restrictions that can come into play at times though. There is always something cropping up that takes you away from your preferred activities. As long as you enjoy the available time that you do get ...... make the most of it.

I must admit I am a little wary of the Kestrel project as it is a lot more involved and I have absolutely no clue where or how to start. :classic_biggrin: the potential to make a real mess of it is high. The delivery time from Sarik was very quick .... around a week and a bit from memory so if you do decide to take it on ....... there is no time pressure from an ordering point of view.

I hope you do ...... you can be the guiding light ....:classic_biggrin:

I'm still busy going through the links and I'm sure there will be loads of interesting stuff in there. I'll keep my eye open for any reference to your own.

Looking forward to seeing if you take the plunge .....

All the best for now and thanks for posting up and showing interest.

Toto

Edited by toto