About Time I Joined This Forum

Futura57

Hello

I've been meaning to join this forum for many years, so here I am 🙂 

I've been building and flying fixed wing and helis for around 55 years, so I may have some experience to share. Here's a little about me...

Born in 1961 I wanted to be an astronaut because of the Apollo program. From the Age of 8 I started making simple balsa chuck gliders then building small Keil Kraft rubber models like the SE5A and Nieuport. Very many KK towline gliders, rubber models then control line models followed until I got my first futaba radio aged 15 in 1976. At this time I began designing my own CL and RC models on lining paper and making one-offs, 80% of which flew well. I got a MicroMold Lark heli in 1980, built it and taught myself to fly it.  After graduating in 1983 my modelling activity continued at a slower pace until, after getting married in 1986 and having twins, I took a 9 year break from the hobby. I immersed myself in helis from the late 90s onwards but also continued fixed wing. After retiring in 2018 I have been hammer down on building and flying. Wonderful.  I've also gone back to designing my own.

It's good to be here.

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Futura57,

I hope you dont mind imparting some of your knowledge on here. :classic_biggrin: I'm sure it will be welcomed into the mix.

It's a very freindly place to be so I hope you enjoy your time here.

Toto

Futura57

Your life story is quite common and in part explains why the average age of RC modellers is how shall I put it "on the high side".

Designing your own is a wonderful attribute and should keep you occupied for many years to come.

Hopefully you experience will be an asset to this forum.

Welcome.

Very similar path through the hobby myself over the last sixty years since a very young child, but never taken a break despite the usual life stuff.  Never flown control line though. Got into helis a few years ago - SIM and very incremental DIY progress with the real thing (electric) had me as far as a Heli 'A' and circuits with very simple aerobatics. Interest seems to have faded a bit recently though.

My club went through a helicopter phase at the same time with reasonably affordable electric machines being all the rage - again, not many about now.

• 3 weeks later...