Gifted Glider, but what is it please?

That fuselage was used by a number of different manufacturers in no end of configurations.

T-tail, cross-tail, V-tail, straight dihedral, polyhedral, 3 channel, 4 channel etc. J Perkins distributed a number eg - Easy Pigeon, Green Sleeve, Seagull, Blue Bird.

They varied in span from about 1.8-2.5 metres - so pick what ever configuration you want!

2 hours ago, 911hillclimber said:

Thanks for your reply, looks exactly the same I think. Is the wing 2 pieces or one?any other details welcome!

Off the box, Bird of Time is clear, but the manufacturer is 'Dyna????'

Two piece 2.18 m span the mid section is flat, 1.16 m, with upturned tip sections. No control surfaces on the flat bottomed wing.

IMG_20230910_110939.thumb.jpg.eb64a47c508e2e3f1c0dd83adf48dd34.jpg

Thank you everyone!

Great forum of fact not fiction.

So, I am told (not seen the plane yet) that the fuselage is not foam, fibre glass sounds right.

Question now is finding the plan for the wings. I like the simplicity of flat bottom section I must admit. The wing shape is interesting and idea for a winter project.

Anyone with an idea on finding a source for the wing plan? (whatever the span, but 100" sounds good.

The fuselage is made of blow moulded plastic - some sort of polypropylene(?), like washing up liquid bottles are made of. Virtually nothing short of Stabilit Express (or the Deluxe Materials equivalent) sticks to it, so screws for holding the internal bits are the order of the day.

As far as I'm aware none of the kits had plans for the wings, they were all ARTF's. However all is not lost. The RC Hotel always have one or two models in the hangar with these fuselages. As the body survive most crashes they are recycled with any odd wing of the approximate size and they all seem to fly pretty well. I'd suggest looking through something like Outerzone & finding a 'near enough' wing as a basis.

Edited by John Lee
  • Like 1

I would make a wing at about 2 meters for that. Reason,  there is an aerodynamic relationship between wing area and tail plane area. It’s made for a 2 meterish wing, and not worth messing about.

That class of glider is a good introduction to flat field thermal soaring. Or a 

Measure the chord of the wing, then make up a two metre span wing with a Clark Y section, 1/4" leading edge, two 1/4" spars at the widest point of the aerofoil, another 1/4" spar halfway between the mainspars and the trailing edge, fit 1/16" balsa webbing between the main spars, add 1/16" sheet between the leading edge and the mainspars and make the trailing edge from 1" x 1/4" TE stock, add four inches of dihedral and you've got a wing.

Good going!

Classic build up of those parts, I can do that!

The cord will come off the fuselage and the section shape at the centre, joint with carbon spar tube (etc).

The kit will come with radio, but I'll 'fit' the plane to match my trusty Spektrum DX6 and a plane dedicated Rx

Notice 2 gliders on ebay right now, one £75 and complete, but buy to take the wing is not much of a winter project!

Again, thanks to all.

You could use spruce instead of balsa for the mainspars. This will improve strength at the expense of extra weight which will make the model fly more quickly. It depends on what you want to do with the model. Another alternative would be to use a single carbon fibre spar as per this example: https://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?code=INTRODUCTION-F5J&name=introduction-f5j-2-9m

I've never used carbon fibre tube myself so can't speak from experience. Neither am I a glider enthusiast though I find the"Introduction" very appealing. Problem is that I have too many i/c projects to finish off.

If you keep an eye on Facebook Marketplace and Ebay, there are often people selling random collections of wings or fuselages.

This example in Stoke on Trent has three of the same type of fuselage as yours, so may well have a wing that would fit:  R/C Glider wing and fuselage assortment

Edited by Robin Colbourne
Couldn't count! Derrr...

I think you'll find that the wing chord is 7.25" /18.5cm.

I have a pair fuselages of an early version from a deceased clubmate's estate. They were from a full Protech Unlimited 160cm span aerobatic model plus one fuselage & tail only.  Both fuselages were badly bashed about but useable & the complete model had a brushless motor & had been flown with 7 cell nicads.

First thing I did was a brushless inrunner + 3s lipo conversion, then reinforced the front end with 3mm ply. The kit's plastic motor mount was later discarded & a new set up fabricated from birch ply & epoxy glass board to take an outrunner.

I did a similar nose job & power conversion to the spare (most battered) fuselage & used a tatty 6 ft polyhedral wing that was a repaired left over from another model to make it a 2 function glider.  The wing chord was a little oversize so the trailing edge was notched to make it fit. 

Climb & glide performance exceeded my expectation to the point that I'm eventually going to make a replacement wood fuselage & recover the wing. That version has been named Igor (Terry Prachett fans should understand)

I'll post some pics of the models later & some details of the brushless conversion if you're interested.

1 hour ago, PatMc said:

I think you'll find that the wing chord is 7.25" /18.5cm.

Yes that is the same as mine. Also putting the two halves together, for the first time ever, I can confirm it's a polyhedral wing. I wanted the motor to go in the Bird of Time, now I am thinking I should fit a smaller motor and fly it. 

5 hours ago, EarlyBird said:

Yes that is the same as mine. Also putting the two halves together, for the first time ever, I can confirm it's a polyhedral wing. I wanted the motor to go in the Bird of Time, now I am thinking I should fit a smaller motor and fly it. 

I'm curious about some of the details of your model which I think have been modified from the original design - E.G. your model has an AMT but the OP one has elevators, it also looks like it has a ply-wood servo mount that's glued to the fus & of course the motor is an "enclosed" outrunner not a brushed one as I'd expect.      

BTW is the motor fitted to a moulded plastic mount ?

Edited by PatMc