Air Brakes on a Wot 4 Mk 3

Andy-H

I just made the flaps without the ply plate. Did they work yes with a chunk of elevator compensation to prevent a brilliant impersonation of a home sick angel.

As an extra fun dimension yes, needed not really as you could always us the ailerons as flaperons or spoilerons to kill lift of a tight approach.

Bottom line probably wouldn't bother again but having said that I have tried/played with them already and enjoy doing so. Great for backwards flying on a windy day.

• Like 1

I fitted them to the first Mk3 I built in the mid-90's. We were still using plastic geared Futaba 148 servos back then & when I deployed, at probably higher speed than I ought to have, one side promptly stripped the gears & the asymmetry led to an 'interesting' moment.

I never fitted them to any subsequent Wot 4's.

I have fitted the air brakes as per Chris Foss’ s specification on my Wot 4. 

I actually enjoy using them and it adds extra  interest and functionality to the model. I can do very steep approaches and short landings with the brakes deployed.

I know many are satisfied with the standard spec model which performs well but I always try to modify my models where I think I can improve them or make an extra fun factor. For me that is the whole point in building them myself. 

IMG_1114.jpeg

• Like 2