charging Li-on batteries

Ernie

What is the nominal voltage of the pack? If you can charge it to 4.2V/cell, then it's safe to use the standard lipo programme. If its an LiFePo4, lithium iron phosphate pack (as@Phil Green notes) then you'll need to use the appropriate programme as they are only charged to 3.6-3.7V/cell.

Simplest answer - please post links to the your charger and the battery pack in question then we can answer with more confidence.

Edited by MattyB

1 minute ago, Shaun Walsh said:

"Other brands are available" as the BBC would say.

Well aware of that, I was just pointing out that Spektrum's version of inflation seems to be more extreme than most of the other manufacturers of RC gear. It is unfortunate for those who bought into this ecosystem when it was far more affordable, as now they are pretty much operating at Jeti/Core levels of pricing, except the quality of the TXs is not the same.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ernie said:

Hi Martin and Phil, and thanks. The charger is a RC plus power 80. I've got the wee book, with its tiny chinoiserie instructions, but no mention of  Lithium Ion.  The battery has Spektrum Lithium Ion 7.4V transmittor battery pack written on it...

ernie

According to the manual it should charge Lipo, Life and LiIon battery types.

Just now, Ernie said:

Hi Martin and Phil, and thanks. The charger is a RC plus power 80. I've got the wee book, with its tiny chinoiserie instructions, but no mention of  Lithium Ion.  The battery has Spektrum Lithium Ion 7.4V transmitter battery pack written on it...

ernie

What is the model number of the pack? The one I linked above is a lipo ewith a nominal voltage of 7.4V; that model number is SPMB4000LPTX. You can see it printed in the pic:

image.png.35ea6d4e8af8b0f3ffee0b9e158cdf60.png

I wish they wouldnt label nominal voltages as you've no control over that.

Post the charge voltage, thats what matters to us and to the fire services  🙂

Ernie, what does the pack voltage measure now, before you use it?

If its sitting anything above 3.6v then its Lithium Ion, charge as per a 2S Li-Ion if you can or LiPo if not.

If its below 3.6v then we dont know, could be LiFePo4 or a discharged Li-ion...

Edited by Phil Green
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shaun Walsh said:

According to the manual it should charge Lipo, Life and LiIon battery types.

Yep, it's all there in the manual, seems pretty clear to me... Choose the nominal cell voltage for your pack from "User set program" (in green below), then go back and initiate the charge via "Program select LiXX Batt" (in purple):

image.thumb.png.d2f137e29ca997c2c7c080fc28466961.png

http://manuals.promodels.be/Plus Power 80 manual_ENG.pdf

Edited by MattyB

8 minutes ago, Ernie said:

Hi again   The battery is the one shown in Martins car pic. And, I wasn't sure about LIXX, sounds a bit naughty. If LIXX is ok, I'll go for it, and have the pompiers (our firemen) ready

ernie

Read the instructions first Ernie. They aren't the easiest to understand, but as far as I can tell you do need to configure the lithium batt type first from "User set program". Don't start charging without conducting this step, or you could overcharge the pack. And definitely check the starting voltage before you begin, as that will be a good indicator of the cell chemistry (I am guessing it is going to be 3.6-3.7V/cell, but lets see).

Edited by MattyB

Don't change user set program.

The firmware in 4 button chargers seems pretty standard so try this.

Turn on charger

Will probably display " Program select Lithium Battery". If another battery type is shown press Stop/Type button to cycle to Lithium or LiXX

Press Enter button, display will change to show an Li battery type and function (charge, discharge, storage etc.)

Using Dec or Inc buttons cycle through the charge options until "Charge" is displayed.

Press Enter button

Battery type on display should flash, use Inc or Dec buttons to select LiIon

Press Enter button

Lithium battery type should now stop flashing and the current should flash.

Using the Inc or Dec buttons select 2.0 A (or other required charging current)

Press Enter button

Number of cells should now flash.

Using Inc or Dec buttons select 2s.

Press Enter button.

Connect battery

Press and hold enter button to start charging.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MattyB said:

PS - Want a laugh? Check out how much Spektrum charge for a 2S 4000 Lipo pack these days...!

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/80400/

Had the same issue with replacing the LiFe packs in my JR XG 11.  £80!  I felt I had to buy one and then took the old one apart (cut the heat shrink around the 2 cells) and found that there was a 2S LiFe charger on a PCB included!  The input from the Tx charger is just a power input hence the need for a LiFe charger.  Why they couldn't have included one fitted into the Tx is beyond me.  I see that you can buy these LiFe charge boards (and LiPo for that matter) for around £15.  So, my replacement pack, which has a much higher capacity than the standard 1600 mAh, was assembled around the charger and a suitably sized piece of heat shrink gave me a replacement pack at the cost of 2 LiFe cells with 3,200 mAh capacity.

Is Spektrum playing the same game?