Some motor advice please

toto

Hi ..... I have bought a new motor for my Tiger 60 ..... but have an issue that i think I know the answer to but want to check first .....

P1120399.thumb.JPG.1e640f5ff3c0f688f190174a71a76174.JPG

there it is ..... pretty normal motor ...

P1120400.thumb.JPG.2de7fa0f076f006ab7b6d00932219169.JPG

four machined holes to hold the fire wall attachment thingy on .....

P1120402.thumb.JPG.6f9e05d72cb7ed2f85b3b804a18742d8.JPG

like so ......

P1120403.thumb.JPG.d39aa57dd233fd55d1ea64609a31d938.JPG

and the front end ...... where does the proppy thingy go ????

P1120404.thumb.JPG.3b0ff3730f039fc18f2e85f8660a631d.JPG

and a bag of screws.....

P1120405.thumb.JPG.9f01d5fcd0b67327097ef4643f27d464.JPG

now there is a collet screw at each end with a hex head. It looks like you could slacken both and try to push the spindle through towards the front. I have had a go at slackening them but when I try to push it .... its very tight so I did not want to force it ......

any advice would be appreciated. I'd like to get this on tonight and get the Watt meter onto it .... so the sooner the better please if possible.

many thanks

toto

I take it you didnt get a prop driver that fits the other end, so you have  3 choices.

Get a prop driver that fits the 3 bolt holes, probably not as easy as it sounds.

Fit the motor the other way round shaft through the bulkhead and use as is but no good if the bulkhead isnt at the very front of the plane.

Or loosen all the grub screws and knock shaft through with a pin punch being careful not to round them off as there probably soft.

Or 4 As Keith said but will need to be done well to cope with 6 cells

Edited by Learner

It's one of those compression type fittings and definately needs the spindle to bite onto as will the prop.

P1120408.thumb.JPG.0ed5bcc1ea72dc711f73f5d00ef02b60.JPG

and ....

P1120409.thumb.JPG.772192aa7d3fa927178a7a7a4835e6dc.JPG

it just looks like the spindle is hanging out the wrong end. I'm a bit against trying to knock it through with a toffee hammer or anything ...... is this normal for this type of motor as any images online show it the same ..... got me lost.

toto 

Can't find anything for this on the internet.

There are 3 machined holes in the front ..... just wondering if there is some kind of adaptor missing. Any image for this shows exactly the parts that I have. What am I missing ????? 

The only thing I can think of is that the shaft needs knocked through .... but I ain't going there. 

The motor should come ready to fit as it is .... am I thick or something ? very possibly.

toto

Get on to the retailer - you should have a piece of metal that screws into those three holes (prop adapter - e.g. https://www.robotbirds.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/31092/s/prop-adapter-8mm-shaft-power-46-60-e-eflm1934/).  The prop then fits on to this and is retained by a washer and nut. You probably won't need that collet...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, toto said:

Thanks chaps ..... all makes sense now ....... thank god I did not start attacking it with a hammer .....

problem solved .... back onto RC world.

cheers

toto

It shows what you've got in the picture on rc world, no additional prop driver

2 minutes ago, toto said:

Just double checked their website .... clearly says prop adaptor included.

No email address just phone number so it looks like a call tomorrow.

hopefully it wont be any issue with them.

cheers

toto

Youve got a prop adapter Just doesnt fit how you wont it!

16 minutes ago, toto said:

Learner ..... I really hope not .... this is for my tiger 60 and its turning into a real saga. 

my own fault..... gutted

toto 

You could ways speak to J Perkins. The motor comes with threaded holes for that type of prop driver so if anybody is in a position to advise, it's them. I called them up when I couldn't find an item that was listed, but out of stock, and they sorted it out. Admittedly, the part you need isn't listed, as far as I can tell. Probably a badged up version of a motor sold under several guises.

Edited to add, just seen your latest post. Hope it fits.

Edited by Graham Bowers
  • Like 1

Hi Grumpy,

when I opened up the product on the Nexus website, it actually had an associated product ( my exact motor ) on the product page so it looks related.

time will tell if I've just thrown another £23 quid away.

I'll update as it comes.

toto

Toto, this is a page from the E-Flite website for the E-Flite Power 46 motor E-flite Power 46 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 670Kv, 3.5mm Bullet | e-Flite (e-fliterc.com)

Look familiar??

Scroll down and click on 'Optional Parts', and look at the second row, middle item - that should put your mind at rest!!

GDB

PS I note that the the E-flite motor has the shaft reversed compared with the En-er-G 'variant'.

Edited by Caveman
Additional text

It’s not uncommon (actually it’s the norm) for motor shafts to be interference fits.  It may be a bit late but confirmation from the supplier might have allowed the simpler and cheaper option.  I would never advocate hammering a shaft though - a press would be the better option but you can often use a vice and suitable spacers/supports such as sockets or old bearings etc.

• Like 2